Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 11:20 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Limited income [navy pension which started around $1480/mo and has increased to $1600/mo, due to annual COLA increases over the past 17 years].

Aging is a bummer. My Dw has gone through five heart attacks, all stress related so there is no surgery that can help. I have prostate cancer, I had my prostate removed, then cancer came back, so now I am going through radiation and hormone therapy. The loss of energy, muscle mass/tone, night sweats, hot flashes, and emotional swings are driving me crazy.
Oh no. So sorry to hear the trauma you are dealing with on both fronts! That's awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 11:53 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Biggest problem?

1) Being widowed, due to my husband's suicide.

2) Loneliness, due to being widowed and being blamed for his choices.

3) Adjusting to a new life that is not the life I chose.

4) Scrambling to eat better, exercise a LOT more (was already doing 30 minutes a day) and never see a doctor again (following a near-death experience and ensuing hospitalization a few months ago).

And I'm only 59. Retirement has lost some of its shine.
I’m so sorry . I hope the new year will be kind to you.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:29 PM

18 posts, read 9,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
As others have said, health issues is the probably the single biggest problem for us. It is inevitable and has nothing to do with retiring, just aging. You just deal with it and move on.

++++++++++++

Spot on!! IMO, there is NOTHING more tiresome than hearing crabby old people wallowing in self-pity about being old. There is ALWAYS someone better--but also worse--off than you. Hey, it beats the hell out of the alternative...

I have grappled with a variety of chronic health issues since age 8 (thyroid, partial vision loss), and I know so many others (of many different ages) in the same boat or who faced far worse challenges. When I was a child, I couldn't imagine being 21. Now I am over 60. The joints ache, I have to squint to read, I'm not as limber, fast as I was when I was younger. But SO WHAT?? Celebrate what you still CAN do, instead of becoming bitter about what you CAN'T do.

IMO, youth is no guarantee of freedom from health challenges or anything. Like all animals, we are all mortal mammals with biological "hardware" and biologically pre-determined lifespans. Eventual decline and passing is just the price of admission to the glorious biological experience of life. While I would LOVE to have the lifespan of a coastal Redwood tree (hundreds, even thousands of years, in some cases), I am just grateful I don't have the typical lifespan of a butterfly (several weeks)...

Old 12-30-2018, 05:09 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Finding a sense of purpose has been my biggest issue after the first two years. Some say I shouldn’t need one but my brain says differently.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:43 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not having enough money to do everything on our wish list
You must have a very extensive wish list.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:52 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Also thinking about future health issues.

I hate going to the doctor.
I know what you mean, and I spent until I think it was well into my 50's hoping I could make it through my lifetime without ever having to see another doctor or have another medical procedure. Then I settled on hoping it could be limited to seeing my PCP once a year to get my prescription blood pressure meds, and for some time, I got lucky, and it was.

Then I hit my mid 60's and moved to an area populated by many retirees. The diagnoses hit one by one, or the age-related exacerations of conditions that had seldom bothered me earlier in my life. I say this facetiously, and with a knowledge that I'm still much more fortunate than many others who suffer from much worse chronic conditions than me, but it seems to me that healthwise, it all went downhill when I hit my 70's. Not terribly debilitating, or horribly painful, but still requiring management and medication, and occasional doctor's visits, medical testing and occasionally procedures so those diagnoses don't take over and ruin my life.

Kinda reminds me of the time I heard an old gentleman probably in his 80's saying "gee, without all these doctor and medical appointments I'd have no social life at all". I really felt sorry for the guy when I heard him say that. A few decades later, here I am.......

Still, it could be so much more worse, although I have way too many medical appointments than I'd prefer. And retirement is great otherwise...

Old 12-31-2018, 04:15 AM

33 posts, read 34,655 times
Not having a fixed income. Some years my income is negative like this year, other years it is high but not steady so i can't really budget. My social security is enough to live on so i can pull back to that in a bad year.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:27 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
Taking twice as long to get half as much stuff done, making me too wore out to put a bridle on my horse and go riding -------

Old 12-31-2018, 10:05 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
You must have a very extensive wish list.
The more money people have, the more they want, at least with many people. Not all.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:20 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
The hardest problem for me is picking which activities I must sadly cross off the list of things I would have liked to start at a much younger age but didn’t have the time or money then. Now that there is enough to do at least some of them, aging’s effects have become the limiting factor.

Anything risky with a long learning curve is out of the picture. I am talking about stuff like sailing solo around the world. No, being a cruise ship passenger has ZERO appeal to me.

Fortunately, there are enough other things to do that I am never bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement