Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 09:20 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,563 times

Advertisements

Having to be responsible for my mother, who died a few months ago aged 92 as well as assisting my DH with his responsibilities with his even older mother as well as choosing to be involved with grandchildren. It has been such a juggle and I hope that eventually that we get a few years with our own health relatively intact so we can relax more. We do make time to have interests and to travel but it seems that our diaries are more complex than when we were working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 09:30 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredletsgo View Post
Hi. I just wondered what others considered to be their biggest problem in retirement was!
Ours was trying to find the perfect retirement locale.
That achieved, it's juggling whether, while drinking our morning coffee, to watch the birds in the back yard or the front yard.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:06 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
I’m not saying I don’t have problems, but mine seem trivial compared to someone with an incurable/terminal disease or a person who is a caregiver for a parent.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:46 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
When I worked I had discipline, or at least kept to a schedule. Now, I don't have the discipline that I need... I tend to drift. I like being unfettered by a work schedule but I need to be a little more attentive to things I need to do. Car and house maintenance, exercise, health issues, etc. need to get back on my radar.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Biggest problem in retirement?

just a few problems I am aware of...
#55 - Not making it... while in High School, a friend's dad died cleaning his desk AFTER his retirement luncheon. (He had JUST finished building a beautiful lake home. (took 10 yrs every moment of free time). His bereaved wife sold it immediately. (ugh))

#55.1 - Not engaging in your NEW 'free' LIFE. Many lament / live in yesteryear ...(just like attending a HS reunion. The FAT football players (the few still alive) hanging / drinking PBR and cheap wine with the wrinkled and s-t-r-e-c-t-h-e-d Cheerleaders, while the homely and unpopular kids often look very attractive and have excelled! (should they choose to attend (usually only bother attending ONCE))

#55.2 - Not preparing!.. mentally, physically, financially. The most successful retirees I see, ...if needed... such as changing locations... have a plan, and have executed it PRIOR to retiring. (Sold the house, found a new location, bought / rented... when they walk out the door on the last day, they implement / enjoy the plan.

#55.3 - nothing is perfect. enjoy the journey. Retirement has seasons. Don't miss the honeymoon! (healthy, wealthy, able, and adventurous)

#55.4 - expect / embrace / handle change (disabled spouse / eldercare / boomerang adult children, set-backs to 'the-plan')

Old 12-30-2018, 03:56 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,550 times
Biggest problem?

1) Being widowed, due to my husband's suicide.

2) Loneliness, due to being widowed and being blamed for his choices.

3) Adjusting to a new life that is not the life I chose.

4) Scrambling to eat better, exercise a LOT more (was already doing 30 minutes a day) and never see a doctor again (following a near-death experience and ensuing hospitalization a few months ago).

And I'm only 59. Retirement has lost some of its shine.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:50 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,409 times
^^^^^^^^^^ So sorry for the life-changing events you endured.

I'm sorry you've dealt with people who think they should judge and blame you. I've had some things in my life when people blamed and judged me. Tough to deal with till you find your own strength and not let the idiots continue to affect you.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:57 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Limited income [navy pension which started around $1480/mo and has increased to $1600/mo, due to annual COLA increases over the past 17 years].

Aging is a bummer. My Dw has gone through five heart attacks, all stress related so there is no surgery that can help. I have prostate cancer, I had my prostate removed, then cancer came back, so now I am going through radiation and hormone therapy. The loss of energy, muscle mass/tone, night sweats, hot flashes, and emotional swings are driving me crazy.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:12 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,765,572 times
As others have said, health issues is the probably the single biggest problem for us. It is inevitable and has nothing to do with retiring, just aging. You just deal with it and move on.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:18 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
The attitude by others who have a perception about retirees and it impacts how I’m treated, thankfully not a huge problem but I’ve had a couple of incidents.
To what are you referring? Care to share?

We're just around retirees, so have not experienced any attitude.

For us, trying to get motivated to learn Spanish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement