Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 03:05 PM

155 posts, read 119,148 times

Advertisements

This is interesting to me. I retired almost 2 years ago after having worked for the federal government for 30 years. I have kept my license active all this time just in case there’s an emergency and I need money. However all the jobs I have seen listed in my profession are for full-time workers who are willing to work nights and weekends/holidays . At this stage of my life I am not interested in doing that (barring a major financial crisis). To be honest, I would only be interested in working 2 to 3 days a week from about 10 in the morning till three in the afternoon LOL. So I think it’s more that I am being very picky about the jobs that I want, rather than being able to get a job.

As I stated above I’ve had quite a few calls regarding jobs but as they involve quite a bit of distance, traveling and working nights or weekends and holidays, at this point nothing could induce me to leave retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 03:28 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,492,111 times
I have a double problem: age, and being handicapped.

No one wants to hire the disabled guy who uses a cane to get around.

I am not highly skilled so jobs for me are usually relegated to minimum part time jobs. That is not my problem, getting past the fact that im 55, gray beard and graying hair, and come toting a cane is the problem. I could shave or dye the beard, but it still remains I use a cane.

I was working part time and did find a full 8 hour shift standing does wear on me, but not so much that I cant.

I'm looking more for 4-5 hours 3 or 4 days a week. That would suit me just fine.

But, I'm not " highly prized employee material due to handicapped status.

I can, for example stand 4-5 hours and play cashier, but no one will give me a chance anymore.

I'd like to boost my SSDI by working part time (allowed), so that when I AM 67 i will have more to live on.

But I plod along going to the requested interviews and get turned down

I've been trying to fibd a sit down job such as medical office secretary ( I WAS an Administrative Assistant for 10 years), but they are sooo hard to get, yet they seem to ALWAYS be looking to fill such positions.

Apparently, I'm not "worthy"....even with 10 years Administrative Assistant experience. Especially since I use a cane.

They supposedly cannot refuse to hire me due to handicapped status, BUT they seem to find any number of excuses why " I wont fit in".

And, unlike others here, I'm Willing to work any day any time.

Ugh.

Dont remind me.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:32 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I know some potential retired job applicants who could not pass a drug test anymore. One friend goes to interviews but refuses the test and terminates the interview at that point. He has an excellent work record and would be a good candidate. He has a cannabis health card but refuses to go through the testing process for a part-time job.
If he has a card for medicinal use, doesn't an employer treat that the same as testing positive for a drug you hold a prescription for?

Old 01-17-2019, 03:36 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
If he has a card for medicinal use, doesn't an employer treat that the same as testing positive for a drug you hold a prescription for?
As a general rule I have heard no. Federally it’s still a Schedule I drug.

An employer may have their own policies, but if they are going through drug tests they probably aren’t lenient. Plus they usually outsource that to a central point which won’t look at state by state rules.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

I've been trying to fibd a sit down job such as medical office secretary ( I WAS an Administrative Assistant for 10 years), but they are sooo hard to get, yet they seem to ALWAYS be looking to fill such positions.

Apparently, I'm not "worthy"....even with 10 years Administrative Assistant experience. Especially since I use a cane.

They supposedly cannot refuse to hire me due to handicapped status, BUT they seem to find any number of excuses why " I wont fit in".
When was your last Admin position?

Old 01-17-2019, 04:12 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,492,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
When was your last Admin position?
It ended 2012. Thats now 7 years past, but i couldnt find such a position 3 years ago when i started looking.

So, yes my experience is a little "old", but so am I, lol.

Its not like it was in the 80s, lol.

Yes i am familiar with Microsoft suites, computers, phone , email, snail mail, including bulk mailing, accounts receivable and payable, billing, payments, etc.
Even publishing, editing and book binding.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:23 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I have a double problem: age, and being handicapped.

No one wants to hire the disabled guy who uses a cane to get around.
I see a lot of people in wheelchairs tearing tickets at movie theaters. I suspect the theaters get some kind of bonus points for hiring a disabled person, but it really is the perfect job for someone with limited mobility. The hours aren't that long and you get to watch free movies.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it depends on the field and what you can bring to the party . i am retired for the most part but after 40 years in my field i have a pretty good reputation.

being in sales i made sure i was a thorn in the side of my competitors and on their radar .

when i retired i got flooded with offers including westinghouse who said i can pretty much write my own pay check within range .
There are a lot of electrical and mechanical devices still in use which are not studied in college any more. As well as obsolete computer systems, both hardware and software. Only us old timers even know what they are, let alone how to trouble shoot them for repair/maintenance.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:40 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
As a general rule I have heard no. Federally it’s still a Schedule I drug.

An employer may have their own policies, but if they are going through drug tests they probably aren’t lenient. Plus they usually outsource that to a central point which won’t look at state by state rules.
For the jobs requiring a Federal license or review, there is no such thing as legal use of marijuana. Even use of a prescription drug under Dr's orders may require a buy-off by the employer's Physician after review.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:55 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,374,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Sure, but you managed to find a swell new hobby: Creating hundreds of user names on C-D and posting fake questions.
We have a winner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement