Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:10 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
That’s amazing.

I guess there really is a shortage of workers if they’re digging that deep in their applications file.
I work in a very small niche field that few know even exists in that I design fire sprinkler systems for all sorts of commercial buildings and getting job offers in your 70's isn't a problem because there are so few of us.

Here's a typical federal specification asking for a Level IV technician of which there are 1,179 currently registered in the world and the real problem is our the median age of the group is 61 years old so age discrimination is something we don't have to deal with. Someone who is 50 is considered a young pup and less than 4% of Level IV technicians are <40 years old.

I can work as long as I want to and, seeing how what I do is fun to me, I plan to take it day by day.

Last edited by nicet4; 01-18-2019 at 06:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 07:01 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I work in a very small niche field that few know even exists in that I design fire sprinkler systems for all sorts of commercial buildings and getting job offers in your 70's isn't a problem because there are so few of us.

Here's a typical federal specification asking for a Level IV technician of which there are 1,179 currently registered in the world and the real problem is our the median age of the group is 61 years old so age discrimination is something we don't have to deal with. Someone who is 50 is considered a young pup and less than 4% of Level IV technicians are <40 years old.

I can work as long as I want to and, seeing how what I do is fun to me, I plan to take it day by day.
as one of my products i sold in my line of work , i handled the fire pump control panels from metron .

Old 01-18-2019, 07:29 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as one of my products i sold in my line of work , i handled the fire pump control panels from metron .
I've purchased two 1,250 gpm and one 1,500 gpm fire pumps in the last six months.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:29 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
these things are not cheap ..

but here in nyc everything is so tightly controlled . it is a fabulous business to be in ..

do you know if one part is no longer available in a repair , no other substitution can be made in parts except the original brand and model number or it is not certified .

the customer has to spend thousands for a new control ..

so yep this is a profession where you can always work

Old 01-18-2019, 09:13 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life changes View Post
I retired, after a job loss, when I looked at my drivers' license and myself in the mirror and came to realize that it would be nearly impossible to find another job as good as the one I just lost.

Yes, I could have kept applying and knocked my head against the wall and faced one rejection after another. I could have designed my resume in such a way to eliminate the dates of college and only talk about the last ten years. Maybe I would get an interview but as soon as I walked in the 25-year-old HR assistant would look at me strangely and the hiring manager would just go through the motions and cut the interview short.

At a certain age, it is just easier to retire and not put up with the abuse and discrimination. Right?

(I am ready to hear from the people in their 70s who will tell us he/she is highly respected and people are begging them to work in their company.)

Age is only a number, and if you let it dictate how you feel about yourself, you are doomed to failure.

I have retired twice, am now 73, and I work 40 per week currently. I could walk into a lot of places tomorrow and start work the next day. That is because I believe in myself, know my skills and experience, and never think about the negatives.

At my age, I am dependable, dedicated, and hard working, and those are the assets any employer seeks. You just have to come across that way, and they will not see you as an old person, but one who has a lot to offer their business with years and years of experience.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:56 AM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
I'm confident that at seventy-one I could have a job within a week if I wanted one. The work I do is not related to technology, requires experience, good listening and reflecting skills and doesn't require physical strength.

My resume and references are strong and my working hours are flexible. I have no history of job-related problems or terminations.

The field I worked in has a high burn-out rate and there are always openings.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
When I retired at 61 in 2008, I pretty much realized that I would never return to a full-time career; - at least one comparable to where I had been. Of course, the market and employment outlook at that time was also problematic. OTOH, I didn't retire with the notion that I might someday want to return to the workplace. 11-years and still no interest in going back.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times
Smile See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Years ago, you sent me details. My son really needs to get into something like this. I will PM you.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:26 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times
Smile Always had a lot of negatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Age is only a number, and if you let it dictate how you feel about yourself, you are doomed to failure.

I have retired twice, am now 73, and I work 40 per week currently. I could walk into a lot of places tomorrow and start work the next day. That is because I believe in myself, know my skills and experience, and never think about the negatives.

At my age, I am dependable, dedicated, and hard working, and those are the assets any employer seeks. You just have to come across that way, and they will not see you as an old person, but one who has a lot to offer their business with years and years of experience.
Even when I was 21, I was discriminated against (vision issues), however, after working in the corporate world and for myself, my only dread is working for someone else. I'd rather work for myself, deal with the stress and have the freedom.

Most of the teams I work with are in their 50-60's - we don't see as many younger people entering our space, however, there are some. Most people I speak to seem to have kids in their 20's so most likely in their 50's, maybe 60's, maybe older.

It helps that I'm in a state where we have a lot of older people coming here all the time.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:37 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Plant Super Intendant for a Glass Manufacturer retired and moved to Florida with a tremendous retirement package... retired at 65 and was asked to stay on.

Anyway... the 10 am drinking culture started to take a toll... only so much golf and booze one man can take...

He shopped at a local market and would pick up things for neighbors and got to know the store manager who was lamenting he simply could not keep dependable help... the kids would quit as soon as they made enough for a car or trip...

My friend who was pushing 70 said he would be interested... I kid you not and money had nothing to do with it.

After learning he was serious... he said let me work the night shift stocking shelves for one week... if either one of us wants out... that is that with no hard feelings.

Clyde soon became the star employee... he was charming and the kids looked up to him... he had 450 employees working under him at the glass factory etc.

His wife said he was like a kid again... each day ready to go to work... she even packed him a lunch... he made new friends, was best man at the wedding of one of his young co-workers... the store manager even said he needed to watch out as Clyde would soon have his job... Clyde said been there and done that.

Clyde passed away in has sleep about 3 years later... his funeral was huge with many speaking to what a great friend and mentor he was... and always a favorite with the customers for his smile and attitude...

Again... he was set for life but wasn't happy with his life and said he would die an alcoholic if drastic steps were not taken...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement