Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 11:16 AM

8 posts, read 4,916 times

Advertisements

I retired, after a job loss, when I looked at my drivers' license and myself in the mirror and came to realize that it would be nearly impossible to find another job as good as the one I just lost.

Yes, I could have kept applying and knocked my head against the wall and faced one rejection after another. I could have designed my resume in such a way to eliminate the dates of college and only talk about the last ten years. Maybe I would get an interview but as soon as I walked in the 25-year-old HR assistant would look at me strangely and the hiring manager would just go through the motions and cut the interview short.

At a certain age, it is just easier to retire and not put up with the abuse and discrimination. Right?

(I am ready to hear from the people in their 70s who will tell us he/she is highly respected and people are begging them to work in their company.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 11:26 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,686 times
In their 70s? Oh heeellll no.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:40 AM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
I know some potential retired job applicants who could not pass a drug test anymore. One friend goes to interviews but refuses the test and terminates the interview at that point. He has an excellent work record and would be a good candidate. He has a cannabis health card but refuses to go through the testing process for a part-time job.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life changes View Post
I retired, after a job loss, when I looked at my drivers' license and myself in the mirror and came to realize that it would be nearly impossible to find another job as good as the one I just lost.

Sure, but you managed to find a swell new hobby: Creating hundreds of user names on C-D and posting fake questions.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:11 PM

25,576 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
I retired, after a job loss, when I looked at my drivers' license and myself in the mirror and came to realize that it would be nearly impossible to find another job as good as the one I just lost.....................
That part is true. I was not going to make the money that I used to make, but I accepted that and did the best I could.
I had been in sales. Actually, I did find a sales job at 60, but the industry was not solid. I only wanted to work another 5 years, so I went to truck driving school and finished my working life there. I was a lucky choice in that I liked driving and traveling and the money was enough to get me through. It was hard work, though. I retired at age 65, but I was exhausted from driving 750,000 miles in those 5 years.

Like I say, I just got lucky. I decided right away that I would not relocate, and as it happened I landed one of the better truck driving jobs out there. Then the recession of 2007 hit and wiped out the job I almost took. In the game of life, luck counts.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:29 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,756,001 times
Quote:

Yes, I could have kept applying and knocked my head against the wall and faced one rejection after another. I could have designed my resume in such a way to eliminate the dates of college and only talk about the last ten years. Maybe I would get an interview but as soon as I walked in the 25-year-old HR assistant would look at me strangely and the hiring manager would just go through the motions and cut the interview short.

At a certain age, it is just easier to retire and not put up with the abuse and discrimination. Right?

(I am ready to hear from the people in their 70s who will tell us he/she is highly respected and people are begging them to work in their company.)
If you were serious about looking for a job you wouldn't give up...

Old 01-17-2019, 12:36 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,115,521 times
I've been retired since 2010.

I am now 76 years old, retired all that time with no intention of returning to work, and I've gotten at least 3 calls in the past week inquiring as to whether I was still interested in the job I had applied for years before I retired.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:43 PM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
much of the late age hiring is done via networking and contacts , not taking the shotgun approach and sending out blind resumes or filling out applications .

Old 01-17-2019, 02:43 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I've been retired since 2010.

I am now 76 years old, retired all that time with no intention of returning to work, and I've gotten at least 3 calls in the past week inquiring as to whether I was still interested in the job I had applied for years before I retired.
That’s amazing.

I guess there really is a shortage of workers if they’re digging that deep in their applications file.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:02 PM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
it depends on the field and what you can bring to the party . i am retired for the most part but after 40 years in my field i have a pretty good reputation.

being in sales i made sure i was a thorn in the side of my competitors and on their radar .

when i retired i got flooded with offers including westinghouse who said i can pretty much write my own pay check within range .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement