Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 PM

302 posts, read 182,767 times

Advertisements

Many friends and people in my mostly retired community post their vacation pictures on facebook. I'm wondering if hackers could see these pictures, determine that the people aren't home, then burglarize their houses? Does this ever happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 07:59 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Yes.

You should never post that you are going away on a trip. Don't post pics until you return home.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:10 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
You're never supposed to post your travel intentions or pictures on facebook. The pictures can be posted after you return, but putting them up there while you're away is like an advertisement for a burglary.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Are their posts public or for friends only? Generally it’s better not to post vacation photos on any social media until you are back home.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:55 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebell View Post
Many friends and people in my mostly retired community post their vacation pictures on facebook. I'm wondering if hackers could see these pictures, determine that the people aren't home, then burglarize their houses? Does this ever happen?
I typically post them, and set the privacy to "just me" and then when I get home I make them available to friends.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:59 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,411,460 times
Oh dear Lord. If you're using Facebook correctly, you have your privacy settings set to "friends only". Nobody can see your pictures except your FB friends and they can't share them with anyone who's not already a friend. So unless your Facebook friends are burglars, it's fine to post pictures in real-time. I have a friend right now posting daily pics from her New Zealand trip. "Friends only", people.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:49 AM

8,273 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Oh dear Lord. If you're using Facebook correctly, you have your privacy settings set to "friends only". Nobody can see your pictures except your FB friends and they can't share them with anyone who's not already a friend. So unless your Facebook friends are burglars, it's fine to post pictures in real-time. I have a friend right now posting daily pics from her New Zealand trip. "Friends only", people.
Or maybe a friend might mention it someone else, another overhears, and you get robbed.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:14 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
the bigger mistake is names and addresses on luggage .. who sees pictures is likely not going to be a problem or certainly not the problem tipping off burglars you are away that these luggage tags are . .

Old 01-18-2019, 04:53 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
For this reasin, and many many more, we dont "do" Facebook, twitter or other media.

C-D and a hobby forum I'm on, this is the closest i get to "social media".

The sad thing is all people need to know is your real name and a basic location to get your whole life story on tge net.

And they wonder why ID theft, buglaries and squatting happens.

There was a local news story about a man who put his house up for sale with reputable real estate agent. Then he started getting people showing up saying they rented it on craigslist!!! People had pirated his listing and listed it for rent on CL. Its a well known scam, but hadnt showed up here before.

The thing is, like foreign phone scammers, we never hear about these idiots getting caught.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:35 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
It doesn’t have to be vacations. What’s really stupid is people who post they are dining at such-and-such restaurant showing a map of where they are. They feel safe if they have their privacy setting set to friends and family only but there is always the slight chance someone they don’t know will see their post somehow and find where their address. But these narcissistisits just have to post the maps along with pictures of the food they are eating.

On the other hand, Social Media sites can be safe as long as the user uses common sense when posting on them. The smartest thing to do is to use the strongest privacy settings and be discreet in posting personal information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement