Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 04:35 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,917,513 times

Advertisements

I posted pictures from my tropical vacation of me in a swimsuit on the beach and Facebook took down the pics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 06:47 AM

13,288 posts, read 8,494,840 times
Lol! I post months later...that confuses the thieves...

My attitude is...let em take my stuff...it's not worth much and will be a nice spring cleaning...free of charge .

In all seriousness...our condo is pretty secure...if someone makes it into our building..lights...camera...action.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:42 PM

3,222 posts, read 2,452,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebell View Post
Many friends and people in my mostly retired community post their vacation pictures on facebook. I'm wondering if hackers could see these pictures, determine that the people aren't home, then burglarize their houses? Does this ever happen?
Well not hackers, people in your friends list might not be who you think they are. This apparently happened to a family visiting Las Vegas. Apparently their daughter didn't choose her friends carefully and one of them set it up to rob them. Now if all your friends live far away or are in your retirement community, chances are no one will rob you based on your Facebook posts. You can also set up specific lists so that you only post to specific people, like just family.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:45 PM

3,222 posts, read 2,452,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I posted pictures from my tropical vacation of me in a swimsuit on the beach and Facebook took down the pics
Seriously? Facebook are idiots. I posted a video once on Disney's night show and there was the music playing in the background. They flagged it as copyright violation and removed it from being shown to everyone but me. I fought back on it because not only was the audio awful but it was only part of the song so no copyright violation. Idiots.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:49 PM

769 posts, read 864,257 times
I don't want to see your food and know what restaurant you are dining. I don't want to see your vacation pictures and every time you park your car and where. I don't care where you are camping, staying, visiting, etc. BUT scammers, criminals, experts in robbery, and worse....well, they do, so just keep posting. Keeps them from casing my neighborhood.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:03 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,950,349 times
Are there really people over 18 years old who post on FB?

Old 01-19-2019, 08:24 PM

2,607 posts, read 3,413,665 times
Quote:
Many friends and people in my mostly retired community post their vacation pictures on facebook. I'm wondering if hackers could see these pictures, determine that the people aren't home, then burglarize their houses? Does this ever happen?
Great thread OP and I'm not BSing. People are so damn stupid about how they use social media and how they post pictures just about anywhere and everywhere. One of my best friends and his wife post pictures of themselves everywhere they go. This imbecile went to Europe for a few weeks and posted his entire trip on FB from the minute they left their apartment to the second they landed. I'm surprised their apartment didn't get burglarized.

Some people just can't help showing off or bragging to the world how much fun they are having or how great their lives are. It's people like this that keep me off of social media.

Last edited by deeken; 01-19-2019 at 08:36 PM..

Old 01-19-2019, 08:26 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,102,427 times
Quote:
Yes, we post when we get back. Once in awhile when at our beach place but usually day before heading back.
Common online security recommendation is not to or to monitor your friends list. Having transplanted makes it easier as most of my Facebook friends aren't from where we are now.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
I don't want to see your food and know what restaurant you are dining. I don't want to see your vacation pictures and every time you park your car and where. I don't care where you are camping, staying, visiting, etc. BUT scammers, criminals, experts in robbery, and worse....well, they do, so just keep posting. Keeps them from casing my neighborhood.
I love seeing food and folks trips and their grand kids and kids. Help reminds me how many folks I know who are growing up well and retiring well and points in between. When they are ill they get prayers. When some one passes their loved ones get condolences. Makes transplanting much easier and reminds me how life goes on and exist independent of who we are now. When seeing them in person it is like we never left.

PS I post food and trip pics. Have eased off of the grand kid pics.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
yes, if the posts are public everyone can see them, including burglars
Not if you set your privacy settings so they can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement