Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 01:18 PM

17,397 posts, read 12,362,507 times

Advertisements

That's largely just paranoia. They're still largely operating the ways they always have been, physically casing neighborhoods, with a clipboard in their hands to look legitimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 01:38 PM

813 posts, read 603,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Well, this is a silly level of paranoia. So I post I'm going to Europe, a Facebook friend mentions it to another friend, and a burglar just happens to be nearby, overhears the convo and knows exactly who they're talking about, find out my address and robs me. Whatever. As the law enforcement professional posted above, it's far-fetched.

People should do whatever they need to feel safe. Just don't keep perpetuating these nonsensical stories that every time you post photos on Facebook, they're open to the world. And if someone doesn't know what they're doing with Facebook, check out how privacy settings work.
Actually, this does happen. A buddy of mine posted that he was going to a basketball game and he was burgled (turned out it was his daughter and her boyfriend who robbed him!)

Good luck, Rg

Old 01-18-2019, 01:42 PM

998 posts, read 713,948 times
I am not going to be paranoid and I am going to live my life as a single woman. Privacy settings on Friends only. I travel a lot, and just got through posting pics every few days from a month long vacation in Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore. I have one FB friend in the city I live, the rest are out of town. I enjoy writing commentary as I take very interesting trips.

The day I was in the Tigers den at Tiger Kingdom in Thailand and posted a picture petting the Tiger....I am so brave!

Old 01-18-2019, 02:02 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,564,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Actually, this does happen. A buddy of mine posted that he was going to a basketball game and he was burgled (turned out it was his daughter and her boyfriend who robbed him!)
In this case, posting it on facebook was really no different than telling her by phone or in person. So maybe the lesson here is never let close friends or family know any of your plans or locale, unless you're certain that neither they nor anyone else within earshot will burgle you. And if you do trust them, make sure you swear them to secrecy.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:20 PM

813 posts, read 603,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
In this case, posting it on facebook was really no different than telling her by phone or in person. So maybe the lesson here is never let close friends or family know any of your plans or locale, unless you're certain that neither they nor anyone else within earshot will burgle you. And if you do trust them, make sure you swear them to secrecy.
Most thief's know the victims... and most victim's know the thiefs!

Old 01-18-2019, 02:47 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,520,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebell View Post
Many friends and people in my mostly retired community post their vacation pictures on facebook. I'm wondering if hackers could see these pictures, determine that the people aren't home, then burglarize their houses? Does this ever happen?
yes, if the posts are public everyone can see them, including burglars

Old 01-18-2019, 03:59 PM

224 posts, read 146,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Anything online can be hacked, seen and manipulated. The majority of hackers look to disrupt online activity, go after major institutions and it would be unusual for them to be a local burglar. As far as posting vacation pix I set my setting to friends only and have no problem posting close to real time. I dont really worry about a "hacker burglars" as I dont have anything of value in my home and I'm away and cant do anything about it anyway.

Does it happen, maybe. I was in law enforcement for almost 30 years and burglaries in our area, north suburban Chicago, only a few could be traced to online related posts. But that was years ago when the social media programs (not hacked) were really open with few filters.

We saw more burglaries where the homeowners:
1. didnt lock their windows,
2.didnt call to cancel mail and newspaper delivery
3. they called for a cab to take them to the airport and the cab driver noted the address and came back later to break in, or
4. Didnt have someone stay in a deceased persons home on the day of a funeral. The bad guys scour the Obit section! This unfortunately happened often.
Not about facebook, but also when you take your car in for service, DON'T give them your keys with your house key on it, just give them the car key. They already have your address.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:11 PM

6,175 posts, read 4,651,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Are their posts public or for friends only? Generally it’s better not to post vacation photos on any social media until you are back home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I don’t understand people who have a thousand friends on a personal Facebook account. I feel it is safe to post vacation photos etc., because all of my Facebook friends are “ real life” friends. You can have more than one account and you can set your privacy settings to anything you want. Don’t be stupid about it.
I generally agree with both of you but would add that I would never trust Facebook's settings to protect me even if your settings are set for posts to only be public to Facebook "friends" only, even if those are friends in real life.

Facebook is notorious for screwing around with privacy issues and if they did something to alter the settings to allow anyone to see your posts or dropped the ball unintentionally and this happened, you can bet they're not going to be of any help if someone misuses the information and some bad outcome happens. They will make sure they cover their own butts legally and the victim will unfortunately be on their own. You have to protect yourself.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:42 PM

1,665 posts, read 1,931,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Yes.

You should never post that you are going away on a trip. Don't post pics until you return home.
^^^This-----

I don't know how true this is but I heard a blurp on the radio this AM that once pics are posted on FB, the poster no longer owns them.

I deleted my FB pics and closed the account some years back but I am still curious to know if that "loss of ownership" is true or if the radio guy was just being cute when he said that

Old 01-18-2019, 09:07 PM

4,856 posts, read 3,667,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Or maybe a friend might mention it someone else, another overhears, and you get robbed.
^^^^ this is why I don't publicize them until I get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement