Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 08:43 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times

Advertisements

When I retired I had to make the very tough decision to let my books go. Moving 1200 miles I was not going to pay a small fortune to move my collection. I had a VERY extensive collection of biblical reference works that I spent 40 years collecting. I tried to find a college or seminary student to give them away but everyone prefers electronic versions nowadays. So I did the next best thing: I gave them to charity. Hopefully many of them ended up with someone that appreciated them. I will tell you I grieved losing them but I’ve moved on. Actually, I’m starting a new collection of different subject matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 09:00 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
I gave away most of my books. All I have left is one small cardboard box of books. I'm moving out of my apartment at the end of next month, and all of my possessions are going into a storage unit. All of my stuff will fit into a 5' x 5' storage unit, so you can tell that I figured out how to get rid of a lot of stuff. I did it little by little. At first, I only gave away small quantities of things, then it got easier to clear out more stuff. Anything that I have not used in the past year was sold or donated. It was not easy, I had never known how it feels to get rid of things that were accumulated over a long period of time. I still read a lot of books, but they are Kindle e-books or books checked out from my excellent local library.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:22 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,248,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
What criteria did you use when deciding which books to take with you to you moved to your retirement home, or when you decided that it was time to seriously 'downsize' and/or get rid of excess "stuff"? And are you happy with your decision?

What I have done up to now is to "collect" books for a while and then, about every three years or so, I donate the ones I know I won't read again, but now I am hesitating about the 50 or so books that I haven't read in at least ten years, but that I enjoyed very much the last time I read them. (Most of these I have read at least three times.) My husband has about the same number of books I do, plus we have also collected about 50 or so cookbooks that we now very seldom use, thanks to the Internet. plus we also have a set of encyclopedias published in the early 80's that I think might come in useful if the Internet ever goes down for a long time, so we are looking at possibly moving about 200 books altogether. This is a long distance move, so I don't want to take any books that we probably will never read again.

(But, please, no suggestions about E-books, Kindles, etc. I know that many people love them, and they definitely save space, but I hate them and would never consider buying one for myself. To emphasize, I know they are GREAT for some people, but not for me.)

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I am putting this in the Retirement forum rather than the General Moving forum because 20 years ago, I would have taken all my books without even thinking about it. But now, as a senior, I don't want to have any more "stuff" than I actually want or need.
I would suggest getting rid of all of them. Anything you want to read again someday can probably be purchased used on Amazon for pennies on the dollar. I've bought the same book 3 times, for a $1 each time, which is still less than what it cost brand new. It's time to let go.....give yourself some breathing room.

SS

Old 01-30-2019, 09:37 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Many libraries end up selling the books that are donated to them. They don't keep them.
That is what our library does - sell them if they already have it on the shelf for example.

They sell a bag of books for five bucks!

Old 01-30-2019, 09:39 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer16 View Post
When we moved from the Midwest to SLC, we went through all our books and donated a lot to Goodwill. Still, we moved a LOT of them... probably about 20 boxes.

We're hopefully moving again this summer and will weed out some more. I try to evaluate a book as I get done reading it. If I liked it so much I'd want to read it again, it goes in a bookshelf. If it wasn't a favorite, or was just so-so, I donate it right away.

That evaluation helps some, because I'm still buying books all the time. I'd love to be able to donate to a library, but I'm not sure how so many others accomplish that. Before we left STL a few years ago, I called more than one library and asked about donating (have called here in SLC as well).

They had so many criteria that had to be met it was impossible. Books had to be less than a couple years old, in perfect condition, not anything they already had, etc. I would have had to spend twice the time to make boxes of books I hoped they'd take, then wait for them to approve or reject, and possibly bring some back home. Then, take the leftovers elsewhere.

Maybe just these two cities have seriously picky libraries, but it's a real disappointment. So, I gave up on the libraries and just let Goodwill have them.
Find a small town library and take your books there

Old 01-30-2019, 10:16 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
We had a huge library in our 30-year home - an entire wall that was a custom bookshelf plus another five or so book cases throughout the house.

When we moved to our next, forever house, we had very little space and had to get rid of 80% of the books. I was devastated as those were books I used a lot (many reference books). But I now barely notice their absence. I look things up on-line a lot so the need for reference material is almost zero at this point, and I never go back and re-read the novels.

Books are a wonderful part of being human and literature is one of our crowning achievements, but sadly the need for books is a thing of the past. I never thought I would say that, but it is true. At any rate, if you need to shed a library, you will get over it.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:26 PM

1,155 posts, read 963,008 times
My library system doesn't add any donated books to its collection. All donations are sorted through and quickly discarded or sold to fund library programs.

It's amazing how many people donate boxes full of books that have obviously been kept in a garage, storage space, basement, locker, barn, or shed. They come in by the carload. The sorters can tell right away if books have been kept in unheated, quasi-outdoor spaces because they smell dusty or musty and are slightly warped in shape. Sometimes there are cobwebs or dead bugs in the boxes and bags. Sometimes the pages are ever so slightly damp. We cannot sell any of these dusty/musty books.

Often we can tell that many of these spoiled books were originally quite expensive and certainly many are rare and out of print. But in that condition, we can't put them on our sale shelves.

I wish that people would donate or sell their used books when they are still clean and have always been kept in heated, ventilated rooms. Otherwise, the waste is quite shocking.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:46 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Speaking as a retired librarian and as an unrepentant lover of all things literary: no one gives a crap about dusty old books.
It's all about content, not format. If you toss out a dozen musty editions of Jane Austen novels, that doesn't mean her works will be forgotten or ignored or abandoned. Get over it.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:25 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
What criteria did you use when deciding which books to take with you to you moved to your retirement home, or when you decided that it was time to seriously 'downsize' and/or get rid of excess "stuff"? And are you happy with your decision?

What I have done up to now is to "collect" books for a while and then, about every three years or so, I donate the ones I know I won't read again, but now I am hesitating about the 50 or so books that I haven't read in at least ten years, but that I enjoyed very much the last time I read them. (Most of these I have read at least three times.) My husband has about the same number of books I do, plus we have also collected about 50 or so cookbooks that we now very seldom use, thanks to the Internet. plus we also have a set of encyclopedias published in the early 80's that I think might come in useful if the Internet ever goes down for a long time, so we are looking at possibly moving about 200 books altogether. This is a long distance move, so I don't want to take any books that we probably will never read again.

(But, please, no suggestions about E-books, Kindles, etc. I know that many people love them, and they definitely save space, but I hate them and would never consider buying one for myself. To emphasize, I know they are GREAT for some people, but not for me.)

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I am putting this in the Retirement forum rather than the General Moving forum because 20 years ago, I would have taken all my books without even thinking about it. But now, as a senior, I don't want to have any more "stuff" than I actually want or need.
I have a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook with a ring binder style that I got when we married. When I come upon a recipe that’s a keeper, I write it nicely on quality paper, punch holes and stick it in the cookbook. I’ve even taped magazine recipes to paper and stuck it in the book. My BHG cookbook is my go to cookbook. So, I’d go through my old cookbooks, revisit the recipes I liked, make them again to see if we still liked them, put them in the BHG and get rid of the cookbook.

And I will keep books that are important to me, however, I can get a lot of titles via inter library loan. As far as encyclopedias? I can’t even imagine keeping them because once again, libraries. And the information in them can be very outdated.

By the way, I am not a minimalist. We have a library and my husband loves DVD’s. We probably have 2000. It’s crazy, and he buys them at garage sales, thrift shops and library sales. The man never pays retail.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:47 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
What criteria did you use when deciding which books to take with you to you moved to your retirement home, or when you decided that it was time to seriously 'downsize' and/or get rid of excess "stuff"? And are you happy with your decision?....
When I moved to Europe from the U.S. I gave away all my furniture and household goods and some clothes. What I shipped was all my books and CD, and a very few other things.

I still have about the same number of books, but I gradually learned to ditch books as I acquire new ones. Nevertheless, I have 1,000 books and the same amount of CDs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement