Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 10:10 AM

7,219 posts, read 9,383,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I miss the days when listening to the radio was fun. Besides the radio shows, the music was a hoot. Splish Splash, Boney Maroney, Ahab The Arab, Bop Till You Drop, all stuff that put a smile on my face.
I still listen to that music. It's on Sirius/XM channel 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 10:13 AM

7,219 posts, read 9,383,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yep, I never got an allowance. I worked all summer from the time I was about 8, put the money in my own bank account, and had to budget my spending money to last until the next summer, plus make major purchases like a bicycle, record player, or car after I turned 16.

My parents handled food and clothing. Everything else was on me. If I wanted it, I could work for it like everyone else.
Two weeks before I started college at age 17, my father dropped dead. Luckily, by then I had enough saved to pay for 2 years of college. Without that savings, I could not have gone.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:19 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,506,217 times
Savings Stamps. You bought them for 25 cents each and pasted them in a booklet that, when full, totaled $18.75. Then you took the booklet to the bank, which issued you a $25 Savings Bond. I bought a lot of $25 Savings Bonds that way in the 1950s.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:30 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,320,308 times
No cell phones, no internet of course

No TV during Dinner

Only 3 channels on the TV..CBS, ABC and NBC later we got the public or PBS.

I spent a lot of time playing outside..too much, lol but it was common in my neighborhood to see kids out well until after dark and all day on the weekends.

Speaking of which, until I was 12, I had to be in at dark,period.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:39 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,085,513 times
Two 17 year old boys with a rotary phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OADXNGnJok

Old 03-13-2019, 11:40 AM

192 posts, read 188,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceswithBeagles View Post
Oh, yes. One day my skirt got measured and was found to be just slightly too short—they measured with a ruler—so they ripped the hem out.
They measure skirts in some schools now today, too. Even on the boys who wear them. That would make a good reverse thread to this one: Things from our childhood that baffle older people of today.

I could add dozens of things to that thread!

Old 03-13-2019, 11:47 AM

192 posts, read 188,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Two 17 year old boys with a rotary phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OADXNGnJok
This video is the first thing I thought about when I saw this thread! I watched it awhile ago and thought it had to be a joke. After all, common sense, logic and reason should be enough to figure it out. If we went back to the first telephone, it wouldn't take but a few seconds to have figured out how to work it.

It's not so much that the younger generation can't figure things out that bothers me. Everyone is different when it comes to their thinking and skills. But it's the fact that they give up and reject things so quickly, and demand it be gotten rid of! Two examples: Cursive hand writing and telling time on non-digital clocks. I'm not joking! Schools have done away with these things because the kids struggle with them and can't grasp them! Seriously????

Old 03-13-2019, 11:50 AM

35,176 posts, read 31,496,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E. Ryter View Post
This video is the first thing I thought about when I saw this thread! I watched it awhile ago and thought it had to be a joke. After all, common sense, logic and reason should be enough to figure it out. If we went back to the first telephone, it wouldn't take but a few seconds to have figured out how to work it.

It's not so much that the younger generation can't figure things out that bothers me. Everyone is different when it comes to their thinking and skills. But it's the fact that they give up and reject things so quickly, and demand it be gotten rid of! Two examples: Cursive hand writing and telling time on non-digital clocks. I'm not joking! Schools have done away with these things because the kids struggle with them and can't grasp them! Seriously????
I have never understood the like for cursive handwriting. I know some people have beautiful penmanship, but I've never found it to be useful. I've never seen a "cursive font" in any sort of mainstream newspaper, book, etc.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:50 AM

88,853 posts, read 85,259,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E. Ryter View Post

My daughter is now 27, and when she was a young teen, I was shocked to learn that a couple of her friends could not tell time. Their parents hadn't taught them. One of them was even so clueless that she didn't really know how to tell time with a digital clock. If you asked her what time it was, she would say something like "48". If you didn't have a handle on whether it was around 2 or 3 or 4, you would have no clue what she meant. Fourteen years old.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:05 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,130,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I have never understood the like for cursive handwriting.

When you need to do a great deal of writing, it's significantly faster to use cursive since you only lift the pencil from the paper at the end of a word (not for each segment of a letter). Of course, that was back in the day when people regularly corresponded or wrote reports by hand.

Speaking about that, remember writing letters? And pen pals? I used to mail letters to my friends all the time. And my mom wanted a letter every week when I went to college (not a phone call, though. Long distance was an extravagance!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've never seen a "cursive font" in any sort of mainstream newspaper, book, etc.
Cursive fonts back then weren't for books or newspapers, LOL (unless it was a literary journal). They were for personal letters, announcements, readings that would be passed out to an audience (such as at weddings or graduations), party invitations, poetry, things like that.

Remember ink cartridges for pens? People these days would never guess what such a thing was used for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement