Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

While spring is normally in the 40s with rain here, we actually have set new records two days in a row, with temperatures of 77 yesterday, 72 the day before, and sun since last Friday. It looks like a return to normal this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome to SPRING!!!-weather.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Oh yes, excited here in NC. Looking forward to container gardening of herbs and vegetables....maybe in May.

Not much blooming yet but next week 60s and sunny...so expect spring to put on a pretty show!

Old 03-20-2019, 08:46 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
21 degrees this morning, snow forecast for tomorrow. Spring here is mid May. But still, happy first day of spring...ish.
Spring is here, but like you, its really may before the balmy spring days arrive. Zone 5b.

Heck i remember in high school that I'd go to school bundled in my winter coat, hat and scarf, but come home with it toed around my waist...in JUNE ( yes, we in NY did not have school end until at least the 3rd week of June).

And there will still be snow...even at Easter yet.

But the first day of spring means hope springs eternal for warmer weather, more sunshine and early flowers blooming!!!

Ah, the baddest part of WINTER is over, finally!

Yay!

Old 03-20-2019, 08:49 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
I'm very thankful Spring has arrived; and hope it lasts more than one day, ha! Too often we jump from winter right into summer heat and get deprived of Spring.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Spring is my favorite season too, even in California. It’s much better than summer, IMO.
All my fruit trees are budding, very exciting, the big and long rainy season must have helped. Just checking my fruit trees in the morning is what keeps me going. So many buds in my apricot tree, I hope to double my fruit production this year. Last year I had 6. Yeah, I keep track every single year.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 03-20-2019 at 09:36 AM..

Old 03-20-2019, 09:24 AM

5,208 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Totally agree with you. Spring in the Northeast is a beautiful time of the year. We've had a few teaser days already and today is looking like a winner too.

Having retired just 3 months ago this is my first spring in decades where I'm not looking at getting ready for school or work. Instead, I've actually been charging my camera batteries in anticipation of getting outside and walking around town or just being in our backyard photographing the flowers and birds.

Last week when the temp hit 72, my wife and I were on the deck and we were talking about how the trees and bushes are budding already. Especially the large willow tree at the backend of the property. That tree gets this nice yellow color before turning a light green.

As for the summer . . . I like the fact that we only get an average of 10 days a year where the temps are over 90. We can live with 10 days, anything more than that would be too much. There is one big plus regarding summer now that I'm retired. My wife doesn't want to retire yet but she is off during the summer because of her job. Definitely looking forward to that together time, free to do what we want.

We so miss New England especially in the spring, Dog Wood Trees, Apple Trees, Cherry Trees, Lilacs and others going into summer with their beautiful and fragrant blossoms...…………….and the firefly's of Summer!

It is amazing at the things you take for granted until you move!

I remember we would get a heat wave in RI for like two weeks and the stores would have a run on AC window units.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:26 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
21 degrees this morning, snow forecast for tomorrow. Spring here is mid May. But still, happy first day of spring...ish.
How is the snow pack this year? Wondering how high Lake Powell will get this spring.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:48 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Early spring is not a great season around here. March can be brutally cold and windy, and it was for the first week this year. We had record breaking cold and below zero wind chills, That means no skiing. The snow disappears fast around here in March. It can be in the 70's or it can be below zero. I'd have to say that March is my least favorite month. I mourn the loss of the snow and the weather here is unpredictable. It's usually cold, wet, and gloomy. I look forward to that first late night bike ride on a balmy spring night, but that might not happen until May. So spring is frustrating. Give me gardening season in middle May. I'm hoping for a warm Easter because it's so late this year. I have a 6 year old and a 7 year old coming to spend the night, and we are going to plant "magic" jelly beans that grow into suckers. If it's cold and rainy? I don't want to think about it. Easter and 70's? Can't ask for better. It might be a little early for the magnolia's though. We should see tulips and daffodils this Easter. I will be planting pansy's along the black metal fence in front of the house in the near future, and I spent days running fish line through plastic Easter eggs to hand on that fence. I want to make the house festive for the girls. It's a change from my usual Halloween decor, but the devil sitting on the stump, and gargoyles on the porch and fence are staying.

It's cold, rainy, and gloomy today. Another boring day stuck in the house. Come on Late April.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:27 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Add me to the list of loving spring! I was born in March, how could I not? lol

My roses are leafing out, weeds are flowering, I started pulling some today. Got one garden 1/2 done. Can only do so much with my bad back. I have one hyacinth that's starting to show color.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:51 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
It became suddenly spring here yesterday, boom, at 79F. I always have a hard time coming out of hibernation, so I'm slow to enjoy spring. I did manage to get some work done in the garden yesterday, but all the while complaining that I was too warm and too sweaty, etc. Maybe I'm just winter person at heart.

Nothing blooming here yet, but I did see some buds yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement