Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 10:09 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,227,494 times

Advertisements

These threads often go off-track but nevertheless - a well written and thoughtful article from the Guardian on older people without children being at greater risk of isolation, poor health and inability to access formal care. Written in the British context, its content is just as widely applicable to those in the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ly-unsupported
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 10:35 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
I would disagree about being "well written and thoughtful". Read the article this was taken from. The original was not a great scholarly work but at least there were some references to the claims and at least it appears to be original in wording, if not content. This Guardian article is just a paraphrased version that would be considered plagiarism had not the original been cited.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:44 AM

Thanks for your critique. I already said these threads go-off track. At least that part seems to be working... Don't like my characterization - fine! I'd prefer more posts that engaged with the topic and content.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:01 AM

231 posts, read 239,924 times
I was just talking about this issue with my husband. We have adult kids but we have so many friends who do not. Even for friends who are still relatively "young" for our piers --still in their 50s-- there's this different view of the far horizon when you don't have kids.

As many have rightly stated before, having someone to "take care of you" when you're old is no reason to have kids. That would be pretty bad for the kids, for starters, and is also no guarantee the kids will be there for you when the time comes. I'm pretty sure the number of people who have kids primarily for that limited reason is vanishingly small.

Mostly this article made me more aware of the great gift the friendship of piers can be, especially to those without kids. It reminds me to, as long as I am able, make time for friends without spouses or kids and who may feel isolated as they get older, leave the workforce, etc.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:17 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
It's beneficial to raise awareness of this issue, as the article you posted does, OP.
It's an important topic.

A while back, I read about United Kingdom's new special campaign to try to remedy social isolation and problems of older people, especially those without children, but all older people who find themselves somewhat isolated and/or alone.

Campaign to End Loneliness
https://www.campaigntoendloneliness.org

UK Appoints a Minister for Loneliness
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/17/w...oneliness.html

Loneliness among over-50s 'is looming public health concern'
Greater numbers will feel impact of widowhood, poor finance and ill-health, says Age UK
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...health-concern

Campaign to End Loneliness
https://www.campaigntoendloneliness....ness-research/

Three-quarters of older people in the UK are lonely, survey finds
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...y-survey-finds

Old 03-29-2019, 11:20 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Planning, planning, planning. Much of this can be mitigated by thoughful planning.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:45 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
...and yet, 99.99% of them will muddle through somehow and figure out ways to get everything done that really needs to be done.

Having said that, I do agree that it's good to plan, and to be smart about things such as making friends while you're still able to get out and about. And also, to check in on the older people that you know from time to time.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:51 AM

11,136 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Planning, and maintaining a vibrant social network. Whether with friends who might be younger or more-abled, or with younger family members (siblings, nieces and nephews, etc) who you might rely on either because they are good caring people who love you, or because you pay them, at least nominally, for any care work or physical assistance with manual tasks you can't accomplish yourself. Many 55+ communities also have some sort of network of able-bodied who assist the non-able-bodied with tasks that are tricky for the elderly, and they have numerous social activities to alleviate loneliness.

For those with very low income, in many US states there are In Home Support Services (IHSS) paid for by the state if you have disabilities. There are also low income qualified housing with meals and activities. It's hard to be lonely when you eat dinner with 80 of your neighbors everyday, and all you have to do to find someone to talk to is to walk to the day room and sit next to someone. I suspect it's much more lonely for those determined to "age in place" in their homes. Meals on Wheels tries to meet this need, by providing a few minutes of companionship along with the nutrition, on a daily basis. The thing with loneliness is that for most the answer is within their grasp. To have a friend, you must BE a friend. Introduce yourself to the neighbors, the service people who work for you, etc. Get acquainted with the lady at the library, or the even people feeding pigeons in the park. Meet people for coffee at the diner or McD's. Of course use discernment to avoid weirdos and predators, but sitting at home alone is the real enemy.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:51 AM

One of my motivations in thinking about this is that my wife's mother (admittedly at an advanced age) is suffering from noticeable memory loss. While the medical diagnosis is still awaited, we would not be surprised if it were onset of dementia. It has taken a lot of work, persuasion and engagement from my wife and her sisters to get get their mother to an old age home ( a very nice and well run facility - Germany) where she has better support. Also, my wife was relating a story when she was visiting her mother in the old age home, she ran into an old man who was very confused and asked her to contact the police because he thought he had been abducted - obviously quite lost. Have heard other similar stories from friends.

While we are still fair distance from that time - it does concerns me. As a man, my life expectancy is shorter - and the thought of having proper support for my wife if she were to reach that stage without me being around and/or not able to support should she succumb to something similar is something we need to think about. Hence, the closing part of the article spoke to our concerns...

“The care system for those living with dementia is overly reliant on family care,” he said. “If you don’t have family to care for you, you’re left to fend for yourself, which means risking becoming very unwell. We need a special care and health system that recognises this demographic.”

PS: Both of us are immigrants to the US. Our families are on different continents...

Last edited by kavm; 03-29-2019 at 12:00 PM..

Old 03-29-2019, 11:56 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

Planning, and maintaining a vibrant social network. Whether with friends who might be younger or more-abled, or with younger family members (siblings, nieces and nephews, etc) who you might rely on either because they are good caring people who love you
The special campaign in United Kingdom is for older people who have not been able to "maintain a vibrant social network" and for the many who do not have "younger family members -(siblings, nieces and nephews, etc)" either existing or in their lives or who are at a geographic distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement