Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:43 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
friendship is very important, as childless people grow old. Remember The Golden Girls?

Remember, too, all of them had children. All their kids lived miles away. When one of them became ill, as Rose did when she had a heart attack, it was her friends who took care of her not her kids.

They all took care of each other during bad times. Kids mostly came around only when they needed help.

Actually the only example of a "kid" taking care of an elderly parent was Dorothy looking out for Sophia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 08:47 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
People should focus on forming friendships even in their older years. I see elderly people every day, at coffee shops, Dunkin Donuts, libraries, just wandering around looking for someone to talk to. It's sad. Some go to the same place every day, sit and wait for someone to come along and talk to them. Sometimes it can be hard to exit the conversation with them. Sometimes it's better to avoid these places altogether if you're busy or don't have time to talk. It's very sad.
You can also see lonely young people sitting around Starbucks, bars and Panera just hanging out. The only difference is they are hiding behind their laptops.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:00 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,103,016 times
Quote:
Who is supposed to support them?
Support them? $$$ I have my own money to support myself in any situation. Emotional support? Friends, church, etc.

It is a sad thing indeed, to breed, only to have 'support' in one's old age. Children should come into this world as wanted and loved, with no obligation to their parents.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:58 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Support them? $$$ I have my own money to support myself in any situation. Emotional support? Friends, church, etc.

It is a sad thing indeed, to breed, only to have 'support' in one's old age. Children should come into this world as wanted and loved, with no obligation to their parents.
Not in a lot of culture. Nothing sad about it. Your view is maybe prevalent here in USA. But the Korean lady I’m friend with in my art class, told me her kids help her with money. They are both successful living in LA. I’m sure she has some money of her own, but it’s part of her culture.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:52 PM

219 posts, read 163,753 times
I always used to think that too (no kids). Now I believe it is a mistake. You have a better chance of having someone to help out, if you have children. No one else is going to care. I don't expect my stepson to be of any help when I get older, but I do think he would stay in touch with me.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:48 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
Quote:
Who is supposed to support them?
Maybe the government would be able to if they weren't paying social security disability to everyones kids who have anxiety and drug addiction. Because there parents aren't supporting them. And they haven't paid much in. You did know drug addicts get social security right?
Plus all the other programs to help troubled youth, sick youth, etc. I have paid more in taxes my entire life and it goes to help people with kids. But the govt isn't going to be there for me.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:10 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times
I often wonder who will take care of me when I can no longer take care of myself-or just need help. I have never had any children of my own. Hubby is 17 years my senior with 4 kids from his first marriage and 8 grandkids. All the grandkids do call me "Grandma" which is really nice. While it is not certain, I am assuming that I will outlive Hubby. So, when I reach that age where I need assistance, I wonder if any of the grandkids will step up and help. I won't need financial help. I have a nice pension. Even now, I do need some assistance because I am legally blind and no longer drive. Sometimes I wonder when I lose Hubby, will I also lose that family, too. (Except if they want something. We rarely hear from them unless they want something. Only ONE granddaughter calls just to talk. )

Cat

Old 05-21-2019, 01:21 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsothoreau View Post
I always used to think that too (no kids). Now I believe it is a mistake. You have a better chance of having someone to help out, if you have children. No one else is going to care. I don't expect my stepson to be of any help when I get older, but I do think he would stay in touch with me.
True. Having kids does improve the odds of having someone to look after your needs, if something happens. Esp if you raise them to be that kind of person.

As I watched a relative deteriorate at an early age in a nursing home (a massive stroke at a young age), it was good that there were a couple of relatives to see after her needs. Some who should have pitched in, did not. Unforgivable. But the rest of us made sure she had a bit of money in her account for special items, a fridge, fresh fruit and beverages, electronics, medical supplies, and such. It also helped, I think, that a relative would visit occasionally, both to her and for the staff to notice that family would be there. But there's an example of where "family" can't always be counted on (the closest ones to that relative were the ones who went to see her only once in 9 years, despite living in the same small city).

I will not have that, since I don't have kids. That is the scariest thing of all. I will do what I can to avoid a nursing home. Hopefully I'll just drop dead from a heart attack. But even if I had kids, they probably would live in another city or state. But that might mean one or two visits a year, and shipments of things I'd need.

Well, we can't have it all.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:26 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post

Breed? We're not livestock or dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement