Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:03 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times

Advertisements

When looking at a big number like that, I want to see. how the median person is doing overall. 108 million includes a lot of people who can't help themselves, along with a lot of errors and bad luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 09:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Who is supposed to support them?

Old 05-14-2019, 09:19 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The tooth fairy.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:34 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Who is supposed to support ANYONE who finds themselves unable to do for themselves?

Setting aside the Q's about how they may have come to be in that circumstance...
the more critical Q... is how many of those "unable to do for themselves" CAN BE supported?

Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
They can be supported by the state.

Even here in Texas, they will take someone in and assist them. Maybe not first class accommodations, but if a social worker steps in, things can be done.

Well - in my small south texas town, i've seen it happen.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:00 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,914 times
Having kids is no guarantee of having any support in old age. You are more likely to become a burdened babysitter or a cash cow with kids and grandkids. No thanks!

Old 05-17-2019, 11:47 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Nice strawman. Cash cow or babysitter, nothing in between.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:00 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
Quote:
People should focus on forming friendships even in their older years. I see elderly people every day, at coffee shops, Dunkin Donuts, libraries, just wandering around looking for someone to talk to. It's sad. Some go to the same place every day, sit and wait for someone to come along and talk to them. Sometimes it can be hard to exit the conversation with them. Sometimes it's better to avoid these places altogether if you're busy or don't have time to talk. It's very sad.
Why don't you make friends with single people? I don't think this has anything to do with being older so much as being single vs. paired. You say they should focus on forming friendships then say you want to stay away. So how are they supposed to form friendships? Senseless

Old 05-18-2019, 01:13 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Friendship is very important, as childless people grow old. Remember The Golden Girls?

Married people will say "There's nothing like family," or "you need to move back here in retirement to be near family," etc. But for single people without children, and maybe married people w/o children, friends are much more important. You can look out for each other, as you age.

Kids are no guarantee of anything. They may live far away, or be ungrateful, undeserving adults whose calls home get fewer with each passing year. Until it's close to having the will read. In some cases, adult children become the burden...whether it's drug issues, alcoholism, mental issues, loss of work, financial troubles....

I don't know why having kids would keep a person healthier. I wonder if the sort of personality that chooses not to have children is simply the sort of person whose health doesn't fare well over the years? Depression, anxiety, and such. Because with all the money you save from not having kids, you could have your old age set up much better financially than if you'd had kids (unless one of the kids ends up wealthy & dotes on you). And you have more time to practice a health lifestyle. So I don't understand that.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:54 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Many older people these days are raising their grandchildren, so their adult kids can focus on their careers and get free childcare services. But it seems unfair to the grandparents, since they already raised their kids themselves and now they have to be "forever" parents and can't enjoy freedom in their retirement years. Some grandparents even pay for their grandchildren's education (private school, college, etc) and then wind up broke in their old age, with only security security to live on.
I thought you said they were wandering around Dunkin Donuts and libraries, lost and lonely, waiting for someone to talk to them? Which is it?

I just think people see what they want to see. I have no children. Over the years many people have looked at me with sympathy (and a few with envy), assuming I am sad and lonely. Oh, woe is me. Sometimes people see what they want to see. Do I get lonely sometimes? Sure. Just like everyone else in the world. But as a rule, no. I've had the freedom to move, change jobs, and do other things. I talk on the phone with friends, do some social things (not much...I'm not that kind of person). I am a bit of a loner, anyway. Always have been, despite having an outgoing personality, according to some. I am quite comfortable being alone.

When I was in high school, my English teacher made a comment to us that made an impression on me. She said that reading, learning, and thinking are worthwhile things. That she is never bored, because no matter what, she has her brain to occupy and interest her.

I grew up in a large, loud family. Rarely a moment alone. It didn't suit me. Once I was on my own, I felt relief being far from the madding crowd.

If you see me in the library or walking down the aisles of WalMart, don't assume I'm there to wander endlessly, waiting for someone to talk to me. Although if someone does talk to me, I am quite friendly and likely to speak back. Not because I'm lonely, but because I like people and am just a chatty person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement