Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 03:58 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,439,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My mother said that when she was in high school she only had two dresses: the one she was wearing and the one that she was washing. No wonder they hung onto everything....She saved wax paper to use a few times...
My mom had a picture of her and her siblings, father and a cousin, taken when she was 16. She told me it was her only dress. The white collar and cuffs were detachable, and she said she would wash, dry, starch and iron them every day to wear to school. She had to drop out after that year to take a job to help the family.
She also saved and reused wax paper, aluminum foil (washing and even ironing it), plastic bags, gift wrap and bows. I do the same with the bows - in fact, my kids have one or two battered bows that they look for each year on their gifts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 05:35 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,970,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Well, girlfriend and I broke up. She's bringing everything I bought her back, including all the women's clothes in everything More STUFF.
So tell her to drop the stuff at the nearest Goodwill or other Thrift shop. If I remember, she doesn't drive, so it may be awhile until she shows up with the stuff. In case she does bring it to your place, just pick up the bags and take them to Goodwill. Don't even look in the bags.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:20 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,787,900 times
Quote:
I recently sold my condo and have moved most of my day-to-day stuff into an apartment in the new town I'm working in. I have some furniture that's too big for my apartment at my aunt's condo, my kayak and other bulky outdoor type stuff in my uncle's business house, and a lot of the stuff I need more frequently at my parents' house since I get over there more often.

I got some stuff out of my parents' house today and they wanted some help rearranging a living room. As my mom's aunts/uncles and some family friends died over the years, they ended up with more furniture and other "stuff." A neighbor of my grandmother's moved, and gave my grandmother three rocking chairs. Those rocking chairs have ended up with my parents. Other things have "come in" that way.

As you got older, did you get more stuff coming in from friends and family passing away?
No, I only took a few small things my parents home when they were both gone..my sister on the other hand took so much, she's now gone and her husband is left with the STUFF....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

Our stuff begins to own us and choke us. And then to take on other's stuff...NOPE.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:17 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,677,141 times
Quote:
Well, girlfriend and I broke up. She's bringing everything I bought her back, including all the women's clothes in everything More STUFF.
Is this part of a guilt trip she is putting on you? Sounds like something a high schooler would do.

Tell her to take it to Goodwill, as another poster suggested. And please stay broken up - that relationship did not seem like a happy situation for you.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:23 PM

40,955 posts, read 49,248,569 times
Quote:
My story is just the opposite.

My wife and I had a huge house and downsized so we got rid of half our stuff.
My Wife becomes my Ex and takes half our stuff.
A few years later (Like a dummy) My GF says she's ready to move in and since her stuff is nicer than mine I should get rid of more stuff.

5 months later GF and I wake up and realize "What the hell are we doing" she moves out and takes her stuff.

So between downsizing, a wife becoming an Ex, a GF moving out... I've simplified my life of stuff without really trying.

The rest of the story is my Flaming Gay Cousin who's an Interior Designer offered to give me a lot of his stuff since he wants to redecorate. I graciously passed because I wanted to still attract women into my home and some of his personal tastes were pretty much way out there for a single straight guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement