Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 09:30 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,330,914 times

Advertisements

My mom used to spend her time crocheting.

She would give things away to her grandkids. One grandkid decided to give us these things for Christmas. I already had lots of things my mom made - that i do enjoy.

It is sad, but just one more thing i don't need. Grandkid probably didn't want it either but was just being nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 09:54 PM

35,204 posts, read 31,544,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
You should look at your own situation

You have stuff all over - your kayak at your uncle's place. Your furniture at your aunts'

Get rid of it. If you are not using it now, you don't need it.
It's unlikely I'll set the dining table at the new place. That might go. I have some low back bar type chairs set up. The outdoor stuff is used irregularly. There's no reason to dump it. He doesn't mind, and constructed a new building for the business last year. There is a second level in the business building with shelving on the sides and a 10'-15' width on each side with a catwalk connecting the two edges of the building. It sounds ridiculous, but looks much better in practice.

I used to work for him. That upper level is a personal debris field for stuff for me, him, and the long-term guys. Everything is sticky-noted as to what goes where.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:57 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,330,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's unlikely I'll set the dining table at the new place. That might go. I have some low back bar type chairs set up. The outdoor stuff is used irregularly. There's no reason to dump it. He doesn't mind, and constructed a new building for the business last year. There is a second level in the business building with shelving on the sides and a 10'-15' width on each side with a catwalk connecting the two edges of the building. It sounds ridiculous, but looks much better in practice.

I used to work for him. That upper level is a personal debris field for stuff for me, him, and the long-term guys. Everything is sticky-noted as to what goes where.
Don’t you think that just puts you into the habit of hanging on to things?

Old 03-31-2019, 10:09 PM

37,771 posts, read 46,255,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That's a common refrain. What if it's junk and people don't really want it?
You mean my parent's house? LOL. I wish it were junk and we could simply haul it away. That would be ever so much less work!! No, they have very little in the house that would not be desirable by others. It's just not wanted by ME. But the other two sibs will want to sell it all, we've already talked about it. It will be an estate sale.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:48 PM

35,204 posts, read 31,544,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Don’t you think that just puts you into the habit of hanging on to things?
To a degree, until I can make a decision to dump or keep. I have no problem with the dump mindset. What I'm keeping are items that have been used within the last year.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:20 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,176,106 times
HaHa I got lucky. When my Mom passed away, she lived with my sister, who unfortunately is almost a hoarder and she wasn't letting go of anything!

However, we got stuck with a lot of stuff from my mother-in-law. Sister-in-law told us to go get all her stuff before the brother she lived with threw it all out. They thought it was all family memorabilia and didn't want it pitched. But she didn't want it and told us to go pick it up. A whole truck load of stuff ended up here. She had been addicted to painted china and now I have that stuff plus a huge bin of picture albums and a stamp collection and a whole shelf in a closet full of this and that. Fortunately, no furniture.

I can't get rid of it. But if something happens to my husband, this stuff is going to one of their homes for sure. I tolerate it as long as he's here.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:41 PM

2,450 posts, read 2,616,116 times
Yes, my mother passed away in November and my siblings and I are in the process of divvying up the "stuff". Most of it I don't want, but there were several treasures from my parents travels I wanted to keep. She was an artist and I took one of her paintings.
I was just at the family home today and came back to my house thinking about George Carlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

Old 04-01-2019, 06:03 AM

5,470 posts, read 4,104,950 times
My last ancestor to pass was my dad and he lived in an apartment. Auction company disposed of the stuff. In-laws also went from a small apt. to a nursing home.

I have nothing in my home that I did not choose to put there. I feel for the people who are tasked with cleaning out a loved one's hoard. You might want to forget about "getting money from an estate sale" and think about "paying money to a clean-out company." That is what happened with my neighbor - his kids paid someone to clean the house out, in addition to said person keeping whatever they wanted.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:13 AM

11,222 posts, read 9,851,850 times
I've managed to rid myself of most of the stuff from when my mom passed away 20 years ago. I've got only a few mementos that would fit in two boxes. We'll be getting rid of some of the stuff from DH's mom soon, as we clean out our store room and have a yard sale. We donated most of it when she passed, but some stuff seems disrespectful to just dump....like boxes of photos from their many travels, adn little things she collected from Ireland, etc. We try to do the storeroom clean out once every 2 years, as stuff seems to accumulate in there. I wish I could get rid of all the antique furniture she gave us over the years. I don't like them and they aren't my style, but DH is insistent on keeping at least his GF's antique dresser. If I had my way I'd put it all out on the lawn and sell it to the first person who came along. It was sweet of her to give it...but now it's a challenge to figure out what to do. Does anybody want to buy a french renaissance hutch that stands 7.5 feet tall? I know it's worth a couple grand TO SOMEONE, but probably not to anyone within a 100 mile radius.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:32 AM

4,179 posts, read 3,114,075 times
After my dad died in 2014, we had to put mom in assisted living. As I was gaining control of the trust my sister and I were taking care of the house. My sister went through the house and threw a lot of stuff of no value away.

We sent a few items to mom's assisted living apartment, and we each kept a couple of items. I have the family piano, which has no value because people buy keyboards instead. I also have a cedar chest. It took multiple trips to bring dad's financial records home; many of the records were outdated and had to be sorted later.

We put the house, vehicles, and contents up for absolute auction that summer. Although my parents kept Christmas cards from past Christmases, we were unable to find the owner's manuals for many pieces of equipment. I took advantage of the auction to also get rid of a few of my own items.

When mom went from assisted living to memory care, we donated most of her furnishings to the assisted living corporation. We got a thank you from a resident who was able to use the furniture.

I just shake my head in disbelief when I hear about people paying for storage because they don't have room for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement