Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 07:23 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I was a victim of a big time ID theft last year (long story... I called a number listed online as Yahoo customer support number with a question about my e-mail account, and things escalated to the point where the ID thiefs, under the guise of helping me with a temporarily locked mail account sign-in, were able to sign into my e-mail account themselves... FYI, Yahoo DOES NOT have a phone number for their customer support service - you can reach them only online, and all "Yahoo customer support phone numbers" listed on the Internet are fraudulent).

Not to sound rude or insensitive but DUH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 12:00 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Not to sound rude or insensitive but DUH.
I would not have known that. I would be searching for a Yahoo phone number with a problem too.

I got a notice from them the other day on my cell phone asking if i was trying to sign in? I said NO. because i wasnt.

Apparently someone was trying.

I checked and was still able to access on my cell phone my Yahoo, as its generally signed in. Was all ok.

When i go to tge computer they send a notice to my cell to know if its me wanting to sign in.

Fortunately no banking info or financial accounts are on automatic digital access. Thats on purpose.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:56 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Don't be so sure that would work. A few years ago we tried, in person, to make a cash deposit in our son's Wells Fargo account, in a town & bank branch where they knew us.
Long story short, it took some time to persuade them to accept our $500 in *cash*, yes legal US tender, and it took another several days before they credited it. Their explanation was "well, the policy is to prevent money laundering".

For the life of me, I don't know how WF stays in business. They're scum sucking bottom feeders.
Sometimes it takes a little convincing to get banks to take your money...

Old 05-17-2019, 07:16 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
The biggest issue is the disappointment of having trusted someone and having them steal from you. My dad had a Chrysler franchise and a woman who did their books for over 20 years had some financial problems and started stealing from the company, doctoring checks and fooling around with bank statements. They didn't press charges when they finally caught her. But she was family and it hurt to fire her under those circumstances.

It's amazing how people think they can get away with this stuff.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:04 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
She made a bank deposit, part of which was cash, requiring an ID. The ID was in the deposit bag, but missing when she returned the bag. Two of my business debit cards were compromised also when she worked here, both now replaced. Unexplained charges, perfume.com and an app.
This is a long shot, but did she hand the entire bag (with the deposit) over to the drive-in teller? Is it possible that the teller removed everything from the bag including your state ID, and somehow never returned it to your employee?

Old 05-19-2019, 03:09 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
This is a long shot, but did she hand the entire bag (with the deposit) over to the drive-in teller? Is it possible that the teller removed everything from the bag including your state ID, and somehow never returned it to your employee?
The cash and checks were in an envelope inside the bag and the id was in the bag, but not in the envelope.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:35 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I would not have known that. I would be searching for a Yahoo phone number with a problem too.

I got a notice from them the other day on my cell phone asking if i was trying to sign in? I said NO. because i wasnt.

Apparently someone was trying.

I checked and was still able to access on my cell phone my Yahoo, as its generally signed in. Was all ok.

When i go to tge computer they send a notice to my cell to know if its me wanting to sign in.

Fortunately no banking info or financial accounts are on automatic digital access. Thats on purpose.

The point really is its not a problem if you call whatever number is on the internet the problem is if you give out any information to the person on the other end.

And you should never have your credit card or bank info saved on other websites. For example you often have a choice to save your credit card number on a site that you buy things so you don't need to enter each time you make a purchase. Bad idea. If someone gets your login information by phishing or say your phone or computer is stolen they can ring up purchases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement