Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 05:37 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times

Advertisements

Seven years of widowhood and no interest whatsoever in hooking up any more :-). But, totally unrelated to any romantic factors, good-looking people of any age have a more satisfying life, career, social interactions, and generally everything. Being unattractive is probably a worse handicap in life than having your legs amputated, it's sort of like carrying a billboard that advertises personal worthlessness. Unfortunate but true.

There are plenty of attractive elderly people, just look at the world of showbusiness. The most important elements of elder attractiveness to my eye are (1) absence of fat from face & figure, and (2) thick hair framing the face (a "hair prosthesis" might do if natural no longer available). An example, to my eye, would be Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones. A part of the reason for his sharp face and trim figure is unfortunately likely attributable to his lung cancer, but it is still good to see an old man who is all trim muscle & tendon & facial expression unobstructed by puffs of fat. Secondly, the hair thing on his head is clearly not growing from his natural hair follicles, but it looks as good to me as it looked in the 1970s. I think wigs should be reintroduced into popular fashion, including for men (who are not necessarily artists). They serve a purpose of enhancing physical expression in the theater, so why not in life too? Just my opinions, honest as always :-).

PS- actually, I just looked up some online info about ol' Woody, and it says that he refused chemo for his lung ca because he was unwilling to lose hair - which implies that his amazing hair is actually natural!!! Wow. It doesn't look entirely natural to me (looks like an extension, at least), but I guess it could be... At any rate, I think it looks good :-).

Last edited by elnrgby; 06-26-2019 at 05:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 07:14 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I don't think it is so much finding them less attractive.

For me it is not wanting to get involved with someone who at a later date becomes very ill.

That might sound cold, but it's my truth. I have enough trouble taking care of myself.
That's how I feel. My husband was 20 years older and the last 3 years of his life he was dealing with cancer. It took him 8 days to die in Hospice. I don't want to go through that with another man. Eight months after hubby died I was DX with breast cancer, had reconstruction and 3-D tattoos but how many men are going to want to be involved with me? I look good for my age (64), at least that's what I hear from everybody, I take care of myself and go to the gym regularly. Still when a man hears the word breast cancer, even though it was 8 years ago and I've fine now most of them are going to be scared off.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:57 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Seven years of widowhood and no interest whatsoever in hooking up any more :-). But, totally unrelated to any romantic factors, good-looking people of any age have a more satisfying life, career, social interactions, and generally everything. Being unattractive is probably a worse handicap in life than having your legs amputated, it's sort of like carrying a billboard that advertises personal worthlessness. Unfortunate but true.

There are plenty of attractive elderly people, just look at the world of showbusiness. The most important elements of elder attractiveness to my eye are (1) absence of fat from face & figure, and (2) thick hair framing the face (a "hair prosthesis" might do if natural no longer available). An example, to my eye, would be Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones. A part of the reason for his sharp face and trim figure is unfortunately likely attributable to his lung cancer, but it is still good to see an old man who is all trim muscle & tendon & facial expression unobstructed by puffs of fat. Secondly, the hair thing on his head is clearly not growing from his natural hair follicles, but it looks as good to me as it looked in the 1970s. I think wigs should be reintroduced into popular fashion, including for men (who are not necessarily artists). They serve a purpose of enhancing physical expression in the theater, so why not in life too? Just my opinions, honest as always :-).

PS- actually, I just looked up some online info about ol' Woody, and it says that he refused chemo for his lung ca because he was unwilling to lose hair - which implies that his amazing hair is actually natural!!! Wow. It doesn't look entirely natural to me (looks like an extension, at least), but I guess it could be... At any rate, I think it looks good :-).
Who is ol Woody?

Old 06-27-2019, 08:15 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Who is ol Woody?
Read her second paragraph - Ron Wood.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:25 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post

I laughed at the bolded. It's true. My father had both his legs amputated below the knee in WWII. AFTERWARD, he met and married my mother, and I am one of seven kids.

Nobody wanted to date me. I then discovered a subset of men who didn't mind an unattractive woman as long as she had a good job and would clean up the messes they made of their lives, and I married one. They are called alcoholics. I don't recommend that anyone else follow this path, however.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:27 AM

535 posts, read 343,585 times
At 63 years old, I do find good looking men my age attractive. My husband is so handsome! It is all relative.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:12 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I laughed at the bolded. It's true. My father had both his legs amputated below the knee in WWII. AFTERWARD, he met and married my mother, and I am one of seven kids.

Nobody wanted to date me. I then discovered a subset of men who didn't mind an unattractive woman as long as she had a good job and would clean up the messes they made of their lives, and I married one. They are called alcoholics. I don't recommend that anyone else follow this path, however.
It's both funny and sad how genetics works sometimes. I've known some really good looking people who's children didn't inherit their good looks at all and not very good looking people that had kids that could win beauty contests. Maybe it's a way nature evens things out in the long run.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:23 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
That's how I feel. My husband was 20 years older and the last 3 years of his life he was dealing with cancer. It took him 8 days to die in Hospice. I don't want to go through that with another man. Eight months after hubby died I was DX with breast cancer, had reconstruction and 3-D tattoos but how many men are going to want to be involved with me? I look good for my age (64), at least that's what I hear from everybody, I take care of myself and go to the gym regularly. Still when a man hears the word breast cancer, even though it was 8 years ago and I've fine now most of them are going to be scared off.

Not all men are this stupid. Try to not assume that every man would feel that way. If you were to find one who was this stupid, you don't want him anyway. You want a guy who loves you for YOU. And I'm pretty sure there are a lot of men like that out there.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Old and fugly is old and fugly!

Old 06-27-2019, 12:55 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
I believe our taste just naturally changes as we get older. Looking back, I can't believe I found certain people attractive back then, that I wouldn't be attractive to today at all. Not that these people are ugly, they just wouldn't be for me today and I'm in my 50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement