Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 07:55 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times

Advertisements

I was reading a thread on one of those neighborhood sites -- let's call it DoorNext.com -- with people from my former town in CA complaining about how hard it is to live there with rents and prices escalating the way they are.

One woman commented that her career was as a preschool teacher at a church, so she has no pension, no Social Security and no Disability! Being an atheist, I'm not familiar with parochial schools but if they employ teachers, are they really exempt from making contributions to Social Security?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 08:07 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
They may have hired her as an independent contractor, and she is then responsible for filing her own SS paying both the employer and employee share of SS taxes (12.4%) as being self-employed. My daughter worked for a short time at a place where technically none of the employees worked directly for the company (there were only 3 employees) because the owner did not want to deal with employee taxes or withholding, mainly because he was a cheapskate.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:20 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
There are lots of governmental entities - my former workplace a city hall - that opted out of Social Security (because there was a state pension).

Old 06-24-2019, 08:26 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I was reading a thread on one of those neighborhood sites -- let's call it DoorNext.com -- with people from my former town in CA complaining about how hard it is to live there with rents and prices escalating the way they are.

One woman commented that her career was as a preschool teacher at a church, so she has no pension, no Social Security and no Disability! Being an atheist, I'm not familiar with parochial schools but if they employ teachers, are they really exempt from making contributions to Social Security?
No, they are not exempt from SS or the other usual stuff. Pensions are disappearing from the private sector. As an atheist your thread makes me suspect of your possible anti religious/church agenda. I had a side job as a fill in church secretary at my church until they found a permanent employee. That person was paid a living wage with benefits and a 401k. I live in CA nearly everyone who lives in CA can afford it. Otherwise, think about it, if people could not afford to live here would they not move away?

Old 06-24-2019, 09:17 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Look at https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8274
Yes she can have a job without social security.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
No, they are not exempt from SS or the other usual stuff. Pensions are disappearing from the private sector. As an atheist your thread makes me suspect of your possible anti religious/church agenda. I had a side job as a fill in church secretary at my church until they found a permanent employee. That person was paid a living wage with benefits and a 401k.
Since I've never posted anything anti-religious/anti-church/anti-Christian and in fact have no such beliefs, I think you need to take your discernment meter into the shop and have it worked on.

Quote:
I live in CA nearly everyone who lives in CA can afford it. Otherwise, think about it, if people could not afford to live here would they not move away?
I know where you live. I guessed it long ago from your description and you confirmed it. It's a small town far from the realities of living in California coastal cities. You are out of touch if you believe "everyone who lives in CA can afford it." Those with marginal jobs and salaries are being forced out. Many of those people are single, widowed or divorced women.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Look at https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8274
Yes she can have a job without social security.
Thanks for the link! I did not know this:

Churches and qualified church-controlled organizations that are opposed, for religious reasons, to the payment of social security and Medicare taxes may elect exemption from the payment of the employer’s share of these taxes by filing this form.

Yikes. I wonder if she also doesn't get Medicare. Probably qualifies for Medi-Cal, though.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:37 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Who would work at a job with no pension and no SS
I did, most of my life.
I was an independent salesman, so nothing at all was taken from my commissions. That meant I had to pay both parts of my own social security, provide my own pension, and make quarterly payments to the IRS.

It all worked out well. But you have to make pretty good money if you're going to do it that way.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:43 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Just about all of us Real Estate agents are self employed Independent Contractors with no Insurance and we have to pay the entire 12.4% SS money.

I have to write a Check to the IRS quarterly and about to make my SEP contribution for 2018.

Every working person should have to write a quarterly check. They'd be a little more angry at the taxes we pay when crazy Politicians say they are going to give more of it away.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:52 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Aren't you an independent contractor (or self-employed), OP, with your online business? (I think you sell jewelry online, but maybe that's not it?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement