Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 08:13 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

After retiring 1/23/18 and moving to mountain Colorado 4/23/28, I have finally gotten a horse life in order (and an air conditioner. Who would think to have one at 7,000 feet? But so it goes).

I continue to have fatigue, as discussed before, and do not want to start a health discussion thread! The big problems are ruled out, fortunately, including lupus. I take a day at a time with acknowledgement that I am likely to conk out after activity, but am grateful to be able to do most things that I have to do (errands, etc.) and the things I want to do, my horse life.

The little outfit that I am supporting for therapeutic riding is having a TV crew film the work today for two hours, and I'm doing the horse handling (I am most emphatically NOT an instructor!).

I found an outfit up near the ski resort (higher, cooler, professional) and am riding with them maybe twice a week with their other customers. It's cheaper than my own horse would be, and I am not sure of my energy level so twice a week is fine with me. (Doubt I could afford to lease a horse). I am riding a gorgeous copper-colored quarter horse named Tabasco and it is a pleasure to see the mountainside and river between his ears. Very tired after the ride and drive (about an hour) but I was driving home yesterday and marveling, I LIVE HERE and have done the best I can in life change.

The other news is that this high-mountain outfit is partnering with one of the best adaptive sports groups in the country- Telluride Adaptive Sports Program- to do adaptive horseback riding year around (indoor arena) and they work with veterans, which is a special interest of mine, and I could do the horse handling in the program when it gets underway. TASP is a wonderful umbrella and well known and I am thrilled that a horse program could partner with them and I could be part of it.

There is also a great barbecue place near the riding. (Sawpit Mercantile).

I am working on my energy and am relieved that I seem to be able to do a few hours a day of whatever. Not sleeping as long as I had been (at least 12 hours) so have more time. Having PEM- Post Exertion Malaise- but it's manageable if I don't absolutely overdo it.

I know physical commitments aren't an old-old age plan so I am savoring this while I can. I am ever glad to have moved to this gorgeous place. I have a backup plan if unable to live in this house and be car-dependent (like blindness or something- always thinking on the bright side!) and have selected a Holiday Retirement community near Denver/Boulder that does not have a buy in fee and that I can afford. It's a last resort, so to speak. I never want to be caught flat-footed.

Thank you for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 08:22 AM

357 posts, read 225,327 times
I’m really happy for you. All your careful planning and dreaming is falling into place very nicely.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:36 AM

Thank you. I am at least satisfied that I am trying my best. Now, if only I could get over my adolescent-style crush on a guy who's a really bad idea...

Old 07-20-2019, 08:40 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Glad to hear. It must feel good to accomplish such big steps.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:42 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Thank you. I am at least satisfied that I am trying my best. Now, if only I could get over my adolescent-style crush on a guy who's a really bad idea...
Oh yikes. Just keep telling yourself the truth you know.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Oh yikes. Just keep telling yourself the truth you know.
Heh. Old habits die hard. At least I have some perspective!

Old 07-20-2019, 08:50 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Enjoy living in paradise. I do envy you.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:51 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Heh. Old habits die hard. At least I have some perspective!
True, but in a way isn't it a little bit enjoyable? I kind of miss having a crush on a guy. At my age (69) I don't see many guys who would appeal to me that way, at least in my age range.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:56 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Oh, no. Don’t throw away the dream you have been working to attain! If you already see that he is a bad idea despite being In Crush, that’s a really strong warning.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:24 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Enjoy living in paradise. I do envy you.
Yea, me too. There is only one place in the United States I have ever truly wanted to live, and it is Colorado.

Perhaps someday I will follow BDL's lead and follow the trail she blazed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement