Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 04:57 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times

Advertisements

No. I would not enter into another formal degree program. I have enough advanced degrees. I would only take a course or attend a seminar if the content was interesting or necessary. I will be taking a job-related certification class next month. However, the cost of college is outrageous in many instances. There are far too many Tier II, III, and IV colleges with tuitions that often exceed $25,000 a year and are loaded with unnecessary filler courses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 06:12 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,058,396 times
I ended up with a BA in Biology and a total of 257 semester hours when I finally stopped attending. At this point, it is unlikely that I would go back to college. When I started back to school in the fall of 1993, I had a 486 while the school was using 8088 computers. Now I use Windows XP x64 as my main operating system, and Office XP. I have Windows 7 and Office 2010 on one of my hard drives, but I do not like them, mshultz I am.

I have no interest in online classes; I want the face to face contact with my instructor and fellow students.

In the spring of 2017, the University of Akron offered a course on Donald Trump and his election win. It sounded interesting, but that is a long drive for me, and the freeway was under construction at that time.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:17 AM

2,264 posts, read 972,831 times
The speed and efficiency of obtaining information from the internet so exceeds that of a brick and mortar classroom that it’s almost painful to use the old school method for learning. And the speed and efficiency is always improving. I’ll pass.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:19 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
It might be nice to go to college with computers, calculators and the internet, but I don’t really enjoy having to be places at a certain time, so I probably wouldn’t go.

I take a Master Gardener class one day a week, and that is enough “school” for me.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:24 AM

705 posts, read 562,455 times
Would you ever go to college again?

No

Old 02-19-2020, 07:29 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,930,600 times
I just started a Conversational Spanish class at my local community college. It's considered a continuing ed course - not college credit. I've tried learning online but it just doesn't work as well as having interaction in a classroom. There are quite a few interesting people in the class so it's more than just learning - there's a social aspect to it as well.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:48 AM

2,264 posts, read 972,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I just started a Conversational Spanish class at my local community college. It's considered a continuing ed course - not college credit. I've tried learning online but it just doesn't work as well as having interaction in a classroom. There are quite a few interesting people in the class so it's more than just learning - there's a social aspect to it as well.
I've never known of anyone who learned to speak a foreign language by attending college -- unless it's a college in the country where the language is spoken. Even then my own experience with studying Mandarin Chinese in a university in Taiwan was dissatisfying because of the bureaucracy and emphasis on testing and grades. What really worked for me in the end was to hire a college student to come to my office every day after work and tutor me.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:03 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
We went through this when we started traveling a lot to Latin America and wanted to be able to speak Spanish. I found those conversational classes to be not all that helpful, but they were fun. I bought a Spanish 101 text book and went through it myself doing all the exercises to learn the grammar, and watched tons of Spanish TV and movies to learn spoken Spanish. Then I started reading books of short stories in Spanish and moved up to full novels, which built vocabulary. You really need immersion which is hard to get in the US.

Old 02-19-2020, 03:06 PM

5,868 posts, read 11,930,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
We went through this when we started traveling a lot to Latin America and wanted to be able to speak Spanish. I found those conversational classes to be not all that helpful, but they were fun. I bought a Spanish 101 text book and went through it myself doing all the exercises to learn the grammar, and watched tons of Spanish TV and movies to learn spoken Spanish. Then I started reading books of short stories in Spanish and moved up to full novels, which built vocabulary. You really need immersion which is hard to get in the US.
I spent a bit of time in Mexico on business and I know if I was there for a longer period of time, my Spanish would have gotten much better. You're right, there's nothing like immersion to help you - especially in the hardest part which is learning to understand what's being said to you. I took 4 semesters of Spanish in College waaayyyy back in the 70's but I never used it so I didn't retain it. I find that classroom learning works best for me - I've tried doing it on my own and it's just not the same. I'm hoping this class will kickstart me so I can do some learning on my own though.

Our teacher mentioned we are going to take a field trip at the end of class. I can only imagine we'll go to some little Mexican market where not much English is being spoken. Should be interesting!

Old 02-20-2020, 01:25 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Not going to college the first time was enough.
I wouldn't want to not go again, so I'm not going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement