Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 03:43 PM

13 posts, read 10,269 times

Advertisements

As we have had what old and young people things you do , what about things you have stopped doing over the years?

I would , only recently paying for things in stores with cash , mainly just use card now a days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 04:02 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
We dropped our landline years ago with no regrets.

I’ll never buy a sedan again.

We stream shows instead of paying for cableTV

I stopped getting haircuts. The shaved head look took care of two issues; grey and thinning hair. I’m saving 10s of dollars per year on shampoo!

Old 08-27-2019, 04:45 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
I stopped shaving my legs. The hair that started growing there during adolescence has finally stopped growing. Someday I may be able to stop using deodorant... my mother didn't need it anymore when she got old.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:13 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
The list is huge....
- Watching TV
- No home phone
- Balancing my check book (I used to be anal about it)
- Doing home repairs that can be injurious like getting on the roof
- Shaving (once a week now)
- Changing the oil in the car (I pay to have it done now)
- Going to doctors (I refuse to get sucked into endless worries about my health. If I die, oh well, I've had a great life)
- Worrying so much about politics

Old 08-27-2019, 05:20 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Well, I quit growing a beard and mustache, although "patchy beard" means it mostly quit growing on it's own, so I clean shave the stubble on my chin, and some on my neck, anymore.

Years ago I used ATM machines all the time. Anymore, I don't use them, if I need cash, I go to the bank (what a concept!) or typically if not much cash do the "cash over" feature on groceries at Safeway, I can get $60 over and normally that's enough. I don't know why I don't like using an ATM, my credit union will reimburse any fees if I can't find one of their machines. Just don't like them.

Still have and like having a land line. It's only about $30 a month, the monitored security system uses it, and if the local cell tower were to go down, we would still have a phone that works.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:53 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
I stopped working.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:00 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
No more growing kiwi in my yard. I now just buy them at the store. It’s my dream that’s being crushed, I’ve been trying for 15-16 years.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:16 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
No more mowing the yard....well this year anyway.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:13 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I stopped working.
I did that 22 years ago.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:56 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,256 times
I also stopped paying for things with cash or debit cards. I pay no interest on my credit cards and am now getting all of my airfare and most of my travel expenses for free. I wish I had stopped using cash years ago.

I have stopped cooking every night. Now, Bobby or the "kids" cook dinner about 3 times every week, I cook about 3 times a week,and Bobby and I ussually cook together about once a week. About every 3 or 4 months we go out to dinner, whereas before retirement we ate out once a week or so.

I stopped buying new clothes. I already have far too many.

I stopped wearing pantyhose, but that was actually a long time ago.

I stopped "talking politics" except to like-minded people who I work with to effect change.

I thought I was going to work more on making jewelry when I retired, but I have stopped almost entirely. I pull out the boxes of semi-precious stones and everything to do with making jewelry when grandkids or other kids are over and they have a field day.

I stopped going fishing because casting hurts my rotator cuff injury and I never really liked fishing anyway.

I stopped shaving my armpits because I now just have a few short and wispy hairs and shaving always gave me a burning rash.

I stopped, well, almost stopped, having nightmares about being late for work, messing up important stuff at work, getting fired at work, or having to fire someone at work. I think it has been close to a year before I stopped having nightmares about work. I guess that's not bad, as I still had nightmares about messing up at school a good 30 years after I graduated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement