Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 12:52 PM

2,891 posts, read 1,836,686 times

Advertisements

Thank you Fluffy for sharing the website; thank each of you for sharing your day. A year and more, when I moved, did not hook up the television, am surprised I do not miss it ! Have enjoyed the Flash Mob on YouTube, some so joyous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 04:54 PM

1,131 posts, read 390,650 times
I've discovered the things I once thought were important aren't. I would attend so many pro sports events here in the area where I live. Season tickets. I'd watch on TV. I don't miss it. Stopped following. I attended concerts every year 4-6 or more a year - indoors, outdoors. Major acts. Don't miss it. Don't think I'll return when this is all over. It's a case of "been there, done that"......but the search is on for new things for my life. New routines.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:15 PM

5,470 posts, read 4,102,138 times
I cut back on my shifts at the food shelf. More time to decompress. Wish I could say my house is cleaner, but......

Old 08-12-2020, 06:39 PM

7,684 posts, read 1,278,816 times
This has been me since March.....
Attached Thumbnails
New Routine ?-fbavatar_1597278435951_6699471333023124511.png  

Old 08-12-2020, 11:45 PM

260 posts, read 155,071 times
Spending a lot more time on the house than previously. Just installed my new utility sink which will primarily be used for cleaning litter boxes and other cat stuff.

New floors coming next week. Next project is working on the den and back to riding bike. Just been too hot for me to ride. Lastly helping mom in her house. Quite existence but very meaningful.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:52 AM

304 posts, read 153,098 times
I'm cooking a lot more, but eating a lot less! I've gone on the fasting regime where I eat breakfast, lunch, and maybe a snack and try not to eat anything after 3:30 in the afternoon. Most nights after work I do treat myself to a beer, but otherwise no food. If I'm really hungry after work I'll eat a healthy snack. Lost mucho pounds and inches around my middle, and feel much better overall. Also, getting up at first light and going to be around dark. Sometimes I read in bed a bit, but get lots of sleep. The idea is to follow our natural circadian rhythm, and my body likes it!

Old 08-13-2020, 06:55 PM

7,476 posts, read 4,241,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
I've discovered the things I once thought were important aren't. I would attend so many pro sports events here in the area where I live. Season tickets. I'd watch on TV. I don't miss it. Stopped following. I attended concerts every year 4-6 or more a year - indoors, outdoors. Major acts. Don't miss it. Don't think I'll return when this is all over. It's a case of "been there, done that"......but the search is on for new things for my life. New routines.
I'm kind of the same.

I would into the NYC to walk around and/or visit the Union Square farmers market or go to the opera. With all the crime and chaos in NYC, I am not interested in seeing boarded up store windows.

I feel like a dinosaur. I remember B. Altman's, Bonwit Teller and Barney's. I remember the first time Bryant Park was a junkie hangout in the 1970/80's. I remember St. Vincent's Hospital (where my daughter was born) - now it's luxury condo's. The old World Trade Center with the Windows on the World restaurant - after work, my college friends and I meet for drinks there. The beautiful Lord & Taylor Christmas windows were the best before it sold the building to WeWorks.

Coronavirus changed everything, but these changes were happening for a long time - the virus made it more apparent.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:37 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,168,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Life has been disrupted since mid-March. Waiting to get back to the old routine, places, people I would see, visit. Now, it seems, I have been more laid back (lazy!) Read A lot more, Post on C-D.

Any Positive changes in your new routine ?
Yes, I've saved a ton of money since the quarantine started. Nothing I want to spend it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
My AC is broken and I live in the desert. Fortunately, I own a portable swamp cooler, but that's not enough to beat the afternoon westerly sun beating in on my living room. Before CV-19, I would just camp out at the gym until the sun set, but don't want to take that risk now.

So, I've altered my sleep schedule to sleep from 8AM - 12PM, then up to eat breakfast and catch the market close at 1:00PM, then go back to bed from 3:00PM - 7:30PM when the sun starts to set. That's working well for me until I can get a competent tech to service my AC. I figure my chances are better in the off season starting October.
That seems awfully excessive over something as simple as fixing your AC unit. That can really have negative effects on your health.

Old 08-14-2020, 05:19 AM

4,759 posts, read 4,465,900 times
I am really enjoying this thread. I can relate to most. It's definitely a different time for sure.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:26 AM

10,222 posts, read 7,637,481 times
Pretty much the same. I'm retired & live alone. I do miss the occasional eating out, shopping, seeing a movie in a real theater, but not that much of a change. It's beginning to bug me, though. My state is partially shut down, and the gov finally mandated masks & distancing, so hopefully the virus cases will level off. We'd opened the state a while back, but enough people didn't distance and mask, so there was an immediate spike in the cases.

I had lost 15 lbs by the time the virus hit. I've been able to maintain that.

I spend my time streaming & watching broadcast tv, yard & house work, reading & working on investment accounts, etc. The highlight of my week/month is going to the grocery store, sad to say.

I have a small gas-efficient car, so I pretty much don't have to put gas in the car, anymore, because I don't drive around much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement