Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 06:18 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,030,335 times

Advertisements

Nope. Not in this lifetime. I've got the best neighbors I could want. Horses and cows. And wide open spaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 07:45 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,840,070 times
We left the city/suburban sprawl for a beautiful place filled with natural beauty and plenty of recreational pursuits. We're still less than an hour from a mid-size metro with museums, college sports, theater, etc, if we feel like we want to venture out, but we prefer the small town atmosphere where we are most of the time.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:00 AM

35,196 posts, read 31,517,947 times
I guess it would depend on how much it is booming.

My area is essentially stagnant. I don't stagnation appealing at all.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:29 AM

10,659 posts, read 7,880,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Tired View Post

On the other hand a retired person would not be happy in a dying town with no growth either. As an older person, what type of setting is the best balance for you?
Why not?

No where in the sunbelt is attractive to me. I'm more interested in the cloud belt.

Not having to drive much is high on my list. Rapid population growth sounds like a lot of traffic-count me out. An apartment in a walking friendly town, or small farm with short drive to shopping sounds ideal.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,684,167 times
Quote:
In a few years, I will be retiring and are thinking about the best places to retire.

Many people want to move to BOOM TOWNS in the Sunbelt. The media hypes these places as exciting for both workers and the retired. These BOOM TOWNS have rapid population growth. The population has doubled in the last 10-20 years.

Examples include these metros: Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Orlando, Tampa, Sarasota, and Fort Meyers.

As a retired person in your 60s and 70s what is so good about living in a large metro area with a huge population increase? Doesn't this mean sprawl, environmental damage, crime, heavy traffic, and stress? These type of places may be exciting for a young person looking for greater shopping, restaurant and job choices but how does the massive growth help a retired person?

On the other hand a retired person would not be happy in a dying town with no growth either. As an older person, what type of setting is the best balance for you?
Absolutely not! I want peace and quiet in my 40's. I highly doubt in my 60's and 70's I will want traffic up the whazoo and never ending noise. No thank you. Those metros are also hotter than hell and I have no desire to live in a warm climate ever again. My ideal retirement home would be a cabin in the woods on a lake surrounded by mountains with 4 real seasons.

Ive never enjoyed large metros. I don't like traffic. I don't like noise. I don't like my neighbors on top of me and knowing every burp that happens in my house. I like space.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:13 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,684,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
Nope. Not in this lifetime. I've got the best neighbors I could want. Horses and cows. And wide open spaces.
Perfect neighbors! They're not noisy and don't bug you for things. No taxes needed to build them new schools, roads, water and sewer hookups, etc.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:51 PM

1,131 posts, read 390,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
We left the city/suburban sprawl for a beautiful place filled with natural beauty and plenty of recreational pursuits. We're still less than an hour from a mid-size metro with museums, college sports, theater, etc, if we feel like we want to venture out, but we prefer the small town atmosphere where we are most of the time.
I'm thinking this is the best situation.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:54 PM

6,482 posts, read 9,863,279 times
Quote:
In a few years, I will be retiring and are thinking about the best places to retire.

Many people want to move to BOOM TOWNS in the Sunbelt. The media hypes these places as exciting for both workers and the retired. These BOOM TOWNS have rapid population growth. The population has doubled in the last 10-20 years.

Examples include these metros: Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Orlando, Tampa, Sarasota, and Fort Meyers.

As a retired person in your 60s and 70s what is so good about living in a large metro area with a huge population increase? Doesn't this mean sprawl, environmental damage, crime, heavy traffic, and stress? These type of places may be exciting for a young person looking for greater shopping, restaurant and job choices but how does the massive growth help a retired person?

You should just retire now wherever you want.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:01 PM

23,316 posts, read 29,181,824 times
I lived in Sinless City/Las Vegas for 22 years and I've had my fill of living in boom cities. I chose a city that will never, ever boom: Tucson!

Old 08-14-2020, 02:19 PM

99 posts, read 129,131 times
I started my search with the idea of moving to the popular 55+ oceanfront location. In the end, I made a better choice for me and my family. I live in a suburb in an area of 1 million people in the Midwest, 25 min. from a Big Ten college town. Life can have a way of adjusting grand plans. We bought a lifestyle villa (Neighbors mostly retired) between two small/medium size lakes with bike & walking trails. The area is urban and close to restaurants, shopping, golf and great healthcare. We leave the month of February to someplace warm. Enjoy your search, I guarantee you'll change your mind a lot, until the day you retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement