Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 02:22 PM
JRR

8,188 posts, read 5,702,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpike View Post
I started my search with the idea of moving to the popular 55+ oceanfront location. In the end, I made a better choice for me and my family. I live in a suburb in an area of 1 million people in the Midwest, 25 min. from a Big Ten college town. Life can have a way of adjusting grand plans. We bought a lifestyle villa (Neighbors mostly retired) between two small/medium size lakes with bike & walking trails. The area is urban and close to restaurants, shopping, golf and great healthcare. We leave the month of February to someplace warm. Enjoy your search, I guarantee you'll change your mind a lot, until the day you retire.
I can echo that. We have our two acres of land in the North Carolina mountains, where we were so sure that we were going to retire, up for sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 03:07 PM

17,233 posts, read 57,209,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No, just no. I specifically looked for a town that wasn't booming. Booming will very likely mean increasing property taxes, increasing crime, increasing traffic, too many people. These are all the things I want to get away from.
That also doesn't mean I looked for a town that was in decay either. I think I found a happy medium where the population is stable, has some decent restaurants, and so on.
What he said. I grew up in Gwinnett County in Georgia, "Growing Gwinnett". The traffic is awful, my sister still lives in my late parent's house there. Traffic, rising taxes, all of that. As population density grows, so do costs. I wouldn't have lived there while working, I am still working. But moving to such a place in retirement does not seem to me to present any real advantages.

Agreed, too, that an area in decay is not good either.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:30 PM

4,722 posts, read 3,052,398 times
No to boom towns... stability or slow growth is best.

When a place grows too rapidly, services (public and private) are trapped playing catch-up.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:33 PM

68 posts, read 25,768 times
COVID is just the beginning. It seems best to live in a town that is NOT necessarily growing yet is tourist related so you do not get bored seeing the same folks al, year. Yet out in nature so you are not stuck at home unable to do anything. I feel sorry for those city dwellers. Too many people. We've had 5 cases so far in our entire county

Our town consists of about 120 full timers. About twice that of Vacation home owners. And about 30 visitors per day on average over the Summer. Downside is the businesses here are not open all year regular hours. Winter there is only one restaurant and one small store open 2-3 days a week.

Also ensure you do not live too far from medical care. It takes 1 hr for us to get to the Doctor to the nearest larger city. We have a Reasonably priced Senior bus that drives to the city once a week.

Last edited by VolunteerVicky; 08-14-2020 at 10:07 PM..

Old 08-14-2020, 09:56 PM

10,383 posts, read 6,949,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Tired View Post
In a few years, I will be retiring and are thinking about the best places to retire.

Many people want to move to BOOM TOWNS in the Sunbelt. The media hypes these places as exciting for both workers and the retired. These BOOM TOWNS have rapid population growth. The population has doubled in the last 10-20 years.

Examples include these metros: Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Orlando, Tampa, Sarasota, and Fort Meyers.

As a retired person in your 60s and 70s what is so good about living in a large metro area with a huge population increase? Doesn't this mean sprawl, environmental damage, crime, heavy traffic, and stress? These type of places may be exciting for a young person looking for greater shopping, restaurant and job choices but how does the massive growth help a retired person?

On the other hand a retired person would not be happy in a dying town with no growth either. As an older person, what type of setting is the best balance for you?
For us fossils, medical services that are close, trumps all the fancy restaurants you can dream up.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:01 AM

260 posts, read 154,905 times
I prefer small and quiet towns or cities. Use to live in high crime area where lots of people made me feel unsafe.

I am not in the country; but I am in a quiet area that feels like a country setting. I have seen deers, turkeys, skunks, and one fox. Luckily no bears yet, but there must be some in the woods by my little house I think.

I am perfectly happy in small town area and would not think of moving to a booming area.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:07 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,313,540 times
no - prefer peace and quiet.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:27 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,667,005 times
More people, more problems. Ghost town be about right for me.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:27 AM

6,354 posts, read 4,954,706 times
I was 26 when I moved to Phoenix in 1972. Never regretted a minute of it.

Old 08-15-2020, 02:57 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,111,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Tired View Post
In a few years, I will be retiring and are thinking about the best places to retire.

Many people want to move to BOOM TOWNS in the Sunbelt. The media hypes these places as exciting for both workers and the retired. These BOOM TOWNS have rapid population growth. The population has doubled in the last 10-20 years.

Examples include these metros: Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Orlando, Tampa, Sarasota, and Fort Meyers.

As a retired person in your 60s and 70s what is so good about living in a large metro area with a huge population increase? Doesn't this mean sprawl, environmental damage, crime, heavy traffic, and stress? These type of places may be exciting for a young person looking for greater shopping, restaurant and job choices but how does the massive growth help a retired person?

On the other hand a retired person would not be happy in a dying town with no growth either. As an older person, what type of setting is the best balance for you?
We wanted newly emerging growth to enhance home equity when we transplanted. Twenty plus years in a paid for home leaves a nice chunk of change in your 80's for a CCRC, Assisted Living or part of your estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement