Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 02:05 PM

1,074 posts, read 776,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
My neighbors that had a few thousand acres did just that about 10 years ago, though they already owned the farm. They had to apply for a variance with the county, and get a bunch of signatures from neighboring properties that would agree to it before the variance was approved. They have an awesome venue now, and my daughter was actually married there this month.

I don't think there is any way you can buy a place KNOWING this will be allowed beforehand. At least in Colorado, it is a long involved process to get the approvals.
Time to completion depends on the county, its staff making changes for the applicant as requested and the subsequent hearings caseload.

The applicant doesn't know how it will go. That is why it behooves any interested party to approach all parties that would have an interest in the proceedings BEFORE making a big investment.

We've amended lots and changed mixed zonings in Jefferson County in the past. Jeffco is a big county and it took probably 6-8 months from initial dealings with the P&Z people to planning commission hearings, to actually showing up in front of the commissioners. Our hearings were scheduled at the same time as that big, new telecom tower on Lookout Mtn. (around year 2000 or so) so that affected the timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 02:54 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,075,353 times
OP hasn't been back.

Old 08-19-2020, 05:26 PM

352 posts, read 264,519 times
For $300,000 in NOVA? I just don't see that happening. Beautiful areas in Virginia though. Best of luck!

Old 08-19-2020, 07:48 PM

32,741 posts, read 48,386,146 times
Nobody in the country wants you next door with your weekly loudspeakers, amplified music, excess traffic, loud drunks, and late nights with bright lights..

Expect to have a lot of trouble getting all the permits and variences. Wedding plantations are thoroughly hated by the neighbors. It's not the occasional loud party, which would be ignored. It can be several times a week.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:43 AM

23,917 posts, read 33,745,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
OP hasn't been back.

Last Activity: Yesterday 04:16 PM - They're just not replying to feedback for whatever reason

Old 08-20-2020, 08:15 AM

10,136 posts, read 6,505,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Last Activity: Yesterday 04:16 PM - They're just not replying to feedback for whatever reason
They're probably not getting the positive feedback they wanted. The budget they're proposing wouldn't even acquire the land they needed in those areas, and the taxes would be astronomical.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:05 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,282,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrahasa View Post
Hi all
I live in Northern Virginia Reston Area,, and my dream is to retire on a farm build a barn and rent it for weddings , I have a hobby of decorating for events.

While I can live in a ranch home in same property and do gardening all summer long
I have been researching on and off and I am confused on where to buy -Middle burg/ Purcellville/ Waterford/ Lovettsville/ Roundhill/ Leesburg are some of my desirable areas
What to buy
Buy a land in AR1 Zonning and then convert?
Buy a land with barn already build and then apply permission for weddings
I am so confused and none of the real estate agents I work with seem to know much knowledge in this subject
They all ask me to call county.
As much as I want to pursue my dream I don’t want to all my life savings and then realize I did it all wrong
I really really appreciate any advice you have.

I my budget is under 300k.
Buying already built is the best.

You said: Buy a land with barn already build and then apply permission for weddings

be sure you add THIS TO YOUR OFFER ------ SUBJECT TO you getting permission to have weddings in the barn.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:10 PM

45,579 posts, read 60,962,975 times
I'm just going to throw in that creating a wedding/event venue is incredibly time consuming and expensive, taking years to establish and needing a fairly sophisticated marketing program.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,814 posts, read 58,377,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Buying already built is the best.

You said: Buy a land with barn already build and then apply permission for weddings

be sure you add THIS TO YOUR OFFER ------ SUBJECT TO you getting permission to have weddings in the barn.
Even better.... Find a renovated existing permitted venue that has done all the work and run out of capital. Very common. I buy commercial props and fully completed restaurants are often for sale very cheap because owners ran out of money before they could open.

Sad situation, as they have great ideas, spend lots of time and money, then fold and often lose their life's savings.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:04 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,137,010 times
Aside from the current issues of social isolation, I wonder how many brides would want to say they got married in a barn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement