Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 09:25 AM

18 posts, read 18,133 times

Advertisements

Hi all
I live in Northern Virginia Reston Area,, and my dream is to retire on a farm build a barn and rent it for weddings , I have a hobby of decorating for events.

While I can live in a ranch home in same property and do gardening all summer long
I have been researching on and off and I am confused on where to buy -Middle burg/ Purcellville/ Waterford/ Lovettsville/ Roundhill/ Leesburg are some of my desirable areas
What to buy
Buy a land in AR1 Zonning and then convert?
Buy a land with barn already build and then apply permission for weddings
I am so confused and none of the real estate agents I work with seem to know much knowledge in this subject
They all ask me to call county.
As much as I want to pursue my dream I don’t want to all my life savings and then realize I did it all wrong
I really really appreciate any advice you have.

I my budget is under 300k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 09:38 AM

795 posts, read 1,014,833 times
For a budget under 300K not sure that is doable, especially in your wish list locations. Living in Reston you should have some idea of the high cost of real-estate in NOVA. I used to live in Falls Church.

Good luck to you. Hope your dream comes true!

Old 08-17-2020, 09:45 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,925,025 times
Maybe post in the real estate forum?

Old 08-17-2020, 09:47 AM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Great idea! My niece was married in a similar place in the Berkshires of Massachusetts. It was lovely and different.

Crissey Farm

I hope you find what you're looking for and move forward with your plan.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:39 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,840,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Maybe post in the real estate forum?
Or the Northern Virginia forum? Typical retiree doesn't have any idea about zoning, or the RE market for farms in Virginia.

I always thought that would be a great business. But I've seen too many of those judge and lawsuit TV shows to ever be involved with Bridezillas and their wedding days again. We had a wedding video business but got out of it because of all the cheapskates who didn't want to pay for services and tried to cheat us.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:43 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,074,174 times
Your budget won't stretch that far.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:37 PM

4,753 posts, read 4,460,997 times
Hopefully your timing will work. Just think if you were in business now --- weddings and those events are pretty much not happening. Like I said, hopefully this all turns around.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,801 posts, read 58,350,670 times
I have a 'Federal retired' cousin in Shepherdstown trying to do the same thing (for last 10+ yrs),

She could probably use a partner.

$300k will not start to handle it for a properly zoned and equipped 'commercial / event center'

Lots of Gotchas. Neighbors being the first and foremost. But zoning, traffic studies, sanitation, electricity,,, Barns are not designed for events (Liability and regulations). Some friend's had to add fire sprinklers. That was pretty close to $300k itself.

Outdoor weddings are easier.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:07 AM

17,521 posts, read 22,279,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrahasa View Post
Hi all
I live in Northern Virginia Reston Area,, and my dream is to retire on a farm build a barn and rent it for weddings , I have a hobby of decorating for events.

While I can live in a ranch home in same property and do gardening all summer long
I have been researching on and off and I am confused on where to buy -Middle burg/ Purcellville/ Waterford/ Lovettsville/ Roundhill/ Leesburg are some of my desirable areas
What to buy
Buy a land in AR1 Zonning and then convert?
Buy a land with barn already build and then apply permission for weddings
I am so confused and none of the real estate agents I work with seem to know much knowledge in this subject
They all ask me to call county.
As much as I want to pursue my dream I don’t want to all my life savings and then realize I did it all wrong
I really really appreciate any advice you have.

I my budget is under 300k.
I looked at a farm in New England that was doing it. The pluses, touristy town/plenty to do/places to stay/airport close by (1 hour). Minuses, it was a ton of work, limited calendar (once the snow fell the wedding was over), limited services in town (this wasn't NYC and there were only a couple of caterers to fall back on). Holiday weekends would doom the weddings, the local hotels would be full. The farm was for sale, selling the barn/main house but keeping the actual farm land for themselves. My guess, it wasn't as lucrative as it seemed when they bought it a few years back.

The biggest obstacle to me: People expect farm weddings to be significantly cheaper than at a country club or hotel ballroom. Other than the facility itself, the costs are likely going to be similar if not higher at the farm. Summer barn weddings are going to be HOT and guests won't think farm flies are charming.

I'd never blow 300K on the farm wedding dream.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:45 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,683,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Neighbors being the first and foremost.
I used to live quite close to one of these. There were drunken guests who couldn't navigate the rural roads, air horns punctuating the celebrations until very late at night, and added noise, traffic and pollution. Unless you are on very large acreage with access via main roads, your neighbors will fight to stop you tooth & nail. $300K will not even come close to doing this right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement