Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 11:36 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,299,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Even though my wife passed away 34 years ago (12/19/1976), and I never remarried, I still wear my wedding ring.
I respect that, Patrolman. It honors your wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 11:38 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,320,865 times
Do you still wear your wedding ring?

Yes, everyday.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,716,602 times
I never wanted one either for my first marriage or the second (present) one because in my entire life I have worn jewelry only a few times. It has always seemed like a physical liability in things I enjoy doing.

Occasionally I see creative works of jewelry that I admire for their esthetics and craftsmanship. But I know I would not wear them.

A couple of times I have been surprised when someone assumed I was single merely based on the absence of that little gold band. As if it has magic powers, and a cheater could not simply remove one from their finger. If you have to rely on a symbolic token to know someone’s marital status...well, why not just ASK THE PERSON in the first place?

Old 12-12-2020, 11:57 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,278,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
When I started down this thread, I thought, Why would anyone NOT wear their wedding ring?

After reading a few of the potential workplace dangers, it makes more sense.

Still wear mine after 52-years -- recently had to have it stretched a half-size ... it must have shrunk some over the years!
One other thing to think of here is rheumatoid arthritis. My husband had that. Since we did not wear simple plain gold bands, ours were difficult to size up. They literally had to be cast and remade in a larger size. Very very expensive. So, he stopped wearing his wedding ring. He did however wear an octopus ring that he fell head over heels in love with. The plain shank of that was sizable. He did switch fingers frequently.

I find it touching that people wear their bands and don’t want to take them off. But it isn’t some thing that I ever felt. It’s just a ring. And amazingly gorgeous ring. But it’s just a ring.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,194,837 times
I am not wearing my wedding ring daily now. My original wedding rings were changed after 25 years. I had the diamonds remounted into a single gold band which I like very well. But I discovered during pandemic how much I prefer going ringless. I put on my three rings when I go certain places, but day to day, I am ringless.

DH never takes his off.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:49 PM

10,912 posts, read 7,414,393 times
Neither hubby nor I wear our rings.
He stopped when working construction, I stopped when doing ceramics (the ring left marks in the clay. Clay returned the favor). Neither of us care.

Old 12-12-2020, 01:58 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,984,339 times
I'm wearing my rings right now. I haven't always worn them, though.

They are two individual rings that I wear as a set. Both are white and yellow gold. The "wedding ring" is actually a man's diamond channel-set band. (I have big hands.). DH had to drive out to a Costco in Tracy to get it. He didn't stop talking about that for weeks.

He picked out a ring for himself at an art fair but he doesn't wear it.

I have an old white gold diamond ring that I call Grandma's Engagement Ring. It isn't, though. Grandma had seven kids and dozens of grandchildren. If she had had a ring (she didn't), it wouldn't have been handed down to me. My mother and one of my aunts would have fought over it.

Old 12-12-2020, 02:24 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,661,885 times
Fun stories.

Especially the ring with a hidden GPS in it!

We have a friend who actually "de-gloved" his finger due to some accident with his ring. OMG. No more rings for him....

One less possession to worry about.

Old 12-12-2020, 03:55 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,673,821 times
I have always worn my wedding ring; a simple gold band. 46 years and counting

Old 12-12-2020, 06:21 PM

176 posts, read 129,491 times
When we were shopping for wedding bands I tried on the one I now have. I really struggled it get it off. She laughed and told the woman behind the counter. "that's the one, we'll take it" 43 years now and I haven't gotten any thinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement