Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 04:31 PM

15,647 posts, read 26,349,719 times

Advertisements

My original wedding band is way too big. As is my replacement wedding band that matched. There’s a story there, my house was broken into and my wedding ring was stolen. My husband wore a matching band so I had a second band made. Seven years later, on our wedding anniversary, we went to a pawn shop — and there was my wedding band. We bought it back.

So not only or do I now have three rings because my husband died so I have his, they’re also around 8 mm wide and rather uncomfortable to wear. So I’m thinking of actually have them cut and straightened into a cuff bracelet.

That being said, I’ve always like to wear a ring, a band. So I do. I have a 2 mm gold band that I wear sometimes, I have a 4 mm silver band I wear sometimes, I have a bunch of other rings that I wear sometimes, I just like it. Also helps me detect left from right because I can’t do that very well, never have.But it is like I belong to the band of the day club.

It also helps the bands are different sizes. I have Dupuytren’s Contracture. Right now it’s actually on the mild side. But I have noticed that if a ring is tight, it causes pain. Apparently that’s weird. Then I know I need to upsize it. So I have bands from 6 3/4 to 7 1/2.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:12 PM

24,161 posts, read 32,673,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Many older folks do, and that is sweet.

My mom died with hers on. My dad took his off decades ago as it did not agree with his work: physical therapy.

My uncle got his caught on a dock while underwater, so never wore one again.

My husband works with electricity, so never wore one.

I don't like jewelry and have ugly hands so never wore one.

But I think it's cool. I especially like rock stars wearing one in their guitar close-ups (do you think their wives make them? )
Why would I NOT wear my wedding ring? I am married and my husband wears his. Neither of us works in dangerous trades or professions.

YES! I think it's cute when rock stars wear theirs. And no, I do not think their wives force them to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 06:05 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,335,187 times
not married now, but when I was - no. My career field in the military did not allow that. No rings, no necklaces etc. So I just got used to that.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:03 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,704,964 times
I love my ring set independently of its societal significance and will wear them always. I only bought them three years ago and its probably my 9th or 10th attempt at getting rings I truly love. They are 90 years old. Arte Deco. Yellow gold. Bezzle setting with a black halo. Matching band. Unique, but modest. Dainty though not particularly feminine.

If I need to date again I would take them off until I figure it out with my new boyfriend. He would just have to accept that they are my rings and not take it personally.

If I'm widowed it won't matter of course...

Old 12-11-2020, 07:12 PM

2,376 posts, read 4,891,467 times
My DH and I both wear ours...the original ones that are over 46 years old. I had my set resized after I had my daughter but now I have lost some weight so it's a bit big again I stack it with an anniversary band of my Mom's to tighten it up. I had my own anniversary band but lost it. Hope to get it replaced soon...maybe for 50th? I feel "naked" without my jewelry. Hubby's has split in the back twice at the sizing place. He had it fixed once but it came apart again and he never got it fixed. He just told me the other day that it has actually come back together. He almost never takes it off.

My Mom always wore a ring of some sort. She had her original set for about 25 years and then replaced it with a different set with larger diamond. She wore that all the time except when working. She bought a matching band set for both of them and wore that to work with no engagement ring. My Dad used to wear his all the time until he had a problem at work. He was a drill press operator and the drill went down between the ring and finger so he never work one to work again. But when at home he wore his.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:28 PM

1,208 posts, read 943,882 times
Sungrins and VTsnowbird, my heart goes out to you. I’m quite happy single with lots of great friendships and had some great relationships, but these two short posts make me realize that I’ve missed out on something. Not sad, just philosophical. Mathjak, after almost a decade on the retirement forum, you still crack me up!

Old 12-11-2020, 07:29 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,254,922 times
Never exchanged a ring - have never worn any (ring or another jewelry). In case anyone wondering - no tattoos either.. We were married in court ago and just exchanged a kiss. My wife's only demand was that we be married by a woman - so we found a woman judge. She was nice and squeezed us in before a murder trial. Our photographer was the bailiff for the judge. All that led to a nearly 30 year long wonderful marriage that we cherish everyday and improve upon sometime...

Old 12-11-2020, 08:00 PM

1,299 posts, read 828,829 times
I lost mine about 10 years in, and my husband stopped wearing his when he became a mechanic around the same time. I don't like jewellery in general, and we bought our wedding bands at a pawn shop. Just not a big thing for either of us. We know we're married!

Old 12-11-2020, 08:23 PM

17,736 posts, read 29,980,643 times
When I dress up.
It is very fancy.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:45 PM

187 posts, read 115,153 times
I wear mine only when I leave the house. I'm not a jewelry person anyway, and I worry that I might lose them when working around the house. For years my husband wore his constantly. That changed when his fingers began swelling on and off. Now we leave our rings together while home in a dainty little teacup my first boss gave me over 40 years ago. We wear our rings when we go out if his fingers allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement