Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 09:03 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,614,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Many older folks do, and that is sweet.

My mom died with hers on. My dad took his off decades ago as it did not agree with his work: physical therapy.

My mother passed away recently & I couldn't find her wedding ring. Dad died 28 years previously & I know she was wearing it for several years but I never realized that at some point she stopped. I looked everywhere for it but never found it.

I don't think it is a case of an elderly person hiding their valuables for security & the heirs being unaware of what the hiding place is (& subsequently throwing it away). So sadly we buried her without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 10:13 AM

6,880 posts, read 4,884,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
I like to wear mine to ward off the old maids who think I'm available and they got a chance. And face it, when you're talking to someone say standing in line somewhere, they naturally look at your hand to see if there's a band or not.
I don't think many people check to see if others are wearing rings. Otherwise I wouldn't have been hit on so many times over the years.

I think it's an old wives tale.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:24 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,714,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I don't think many people check to see if others are wearing rings. Otherwise I wouldn't have been hit on so many times over the years.

I think it's an old wives tale.
I don’t think many people use it as a sign of marital status, either. Some of the ones who do might be predatory, which IS a disgusting thing.

Old 12-13-2020, 01:02 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,762,425 times
I stopped wearing mine about a year after my wife died. I was on the hunt to meet a woman and it was easier not wearing one.

Old 12-13-2020, 01:23 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,665,428 times
Mine has never been off since my wife put it on my finger forty-four years ago.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:43 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times
Mine looks like an engagement ring but I consider it to be my wedding ring. It was in with my former MIL's belongings when my ex and I cleaned out their house after she passed away. I think it must have belonged to the rich relatives she used to tell us about because it's high quality gold, probably over 100 years old, and was originally set with a pearl. I wore it and wrecked it by unknowingly getting the pearl caught in my winter scarf and when I got home--no more pearl.

I guess it was just thrown in with other broken jewelry and nearly forgotten. DH and I didn't meet until we were in our '60s and I couldn't see any point in going out and buying a new ring. I was going to use a ring that looked more like a wedding ring, but I remembered this one and dh took it to the jewelry store for a diamond to replace the missing pearl. I love this ring and only take it off if I am going to be getting my hands messy in cooking.

Old 12-13-2020, 05:12 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,945,150 times
For about two weeks after we got married and back from the honeymoon.

I can not wear rings or even a wristwatch it drives me nuts.

Wife reminded me I always had a ring on my nose even if I couldn't feel it.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:17 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,073,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I never did (nor was my husband) and we had very happy marriage.

Same with us. Married 23 years and counting.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:02 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
My mother passed away recently & I couldn't find her wedding ring. Dad died 28 years previously & I know she was wearing it for several years but I never realized that at some point she stopped. I looked everywhere for it but never found it.

I don't think it is a case of an elderly person hiding their valuables for security & the heirs being unaware of what the hiding place is (& subsequently throwing it away). So sadly we buried her without it.
My mother died in March. She died at home in her sleep. I found her at 2:30 a.m., and when they took her body at 5, I didn't even think about the ring. Fortunately, the funeral home put it in a bag and returned it to us. We gave it to our oldest sister.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:10 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,942,838 times
Mine is no longer removable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement