Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 02:44 PM

107,213 posts, read 109,563,580 times

Advertisements

Ssdi is funded from fica and ss funds and ssi is funded from general tax revenue and is a welfare program so there are major differences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 03:53 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,066,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Apparently not.

See https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/disability/ where it says, in part:
"You should apply for disability benefits as soon as you become disabled."

also,
"You can use the online application to apply for disability benefits if you:
  • Are age 18 or older.
  • Are not currently receiving benefits on your own Social Security record.
  • Are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last at least 12 months"
Be aware there is quite a bit of paperwork to gather for an application, as explained at the webpage above.

Good Luck.........
There are some medical conditions that are debilitating enough that even an early diagnosis will automatically qualify u for SSDI
Cholangiocarcinoma is one
It killed my son but it had been making him too sick to work for two yrs before he was diagnosed. It is almost 99% fatal and a diagnosis early enough to be in the 1% is very rare. So you win the jackpot with that diagnosis.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:45 PM

941 posts, read 430,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Ssdi is funded from fica and ss funds and ssi is funded from general tax revenue and is a welfare program so there are major differences
Never knew that. Interesting.

Old 05-23-2021, 04:08 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,644,153 times
I know people who continued to work, even after they began receiving their benefits. One of my coworkers with the Census Bureau was blind. I've had colleagues in wheelchairs. Eventually, there is a penalty for beneficiaries with income, but the tolerance is pretty liberal.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:19 AM

5,233 posts, read 3,824,042 times
I asked whether you had to be unemployed for a year before you could receive SSDI in the original question because there is some confusing info on the internet. I could have sworn I read a few years back that you had to be out of work for a year before you were eligible for disability.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:21 AM

5,233 posts, read 3,824,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
As others have said, no. Just file. If you get denied, get an attorney. It's the fastest way to get it.

I imagine that might be pretty costly.

Old 05-23-2021, 07:41 AM

6,142 posts, read 3,850,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Although I think that having disability insurance from the government is a good thing in principle, I think that the program is grossly abused. There are lawyers and doctors all over the country who specialize in this stuff. They know the precise wording to put in the applications to get them approved. And the lawyers who specialize in this know exactly which doctors to send their clients to for their exams to obtain this precise wording for their client's condition.

Some people would call it a racket... and I'm one of those people. That's not to say that everyone who gets SSDI is undeserving, but for many people, it's kind of a permanent ticket to welfare. They never have to work again because supposedly they're unable to do so. Of course, this disability doesn't prevent them from playing sports activities, doing work around the house, or doing most anything that any healthy person can do. It just means they'll be a perpetual welfare recipient and never have to hold a paying job. However, if they choose to work for "cash under the table", that's different as long as they don't get caught... and the chances of them getting caught are pretty slim. It's kind of the definition of a "racket" IMO.

Old 05-23-2021, 07:52 AM

107,213 posts, read 109,563,580 times
One man Eric conn in conjunction with a crooked judge put through a half billion dollars in claims to Ssdi that should never have been paid.

They busted over 100 people in connection to a fraudulent approval scam here in ny .

Ssdi is very abused

Old 05-23-2021, 07:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,569,102 times
There is a huge difference in monthly payment,and one would be able to work and encouraged to seek work while the other is allowed to make miniscule $$,worse,the state government wil access your bank account and see if you have any other income besides SS payments.

Old 05-23-2021, 11:34 AM

11,134 posts, read 6,725,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
The specialty lawyers do it on contingency and get a one-time percentage which can't exceed $6,000, at least 5 years ago when I was doing it. Quick and painless that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement