Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 11:36 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,676,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Although I think that having disability insurance from the government is a good thing in principle, I think that the program is grossly abused. There are lawyers and doctors all over the country who specialize in this stuff. They know the precise wording to put in the applications to get them approved. And the lawyers who specialize in this know exactly which doctors to send their clients to for their exams to obtain this precise wording for their client's condition.

Some people would call it a racket... and I'm one of those people. That's not to say that everyone who gets SSDI is undeserving, but for many people, it's kind of a permanent ticket to welfare. They never have to work again because supposedly they're unable to do so. Of course, this disability doesn't prevent them from playing sports activities, doing work around the house, or doing most anything that any healthy person can do. It just means they'll be a perpetual welfare recipient and never have to hold a paying job. However, if they choose to work for "cash under the table", that's different as long as they don't get caught... and the chances of them getting caught are pretty slim. It's kind of the definition of a "racket" IMO.
SSDI isn't welfare like SSI is. You pay into it your whole working life and your disability payment is based off of the income you earned. I don't know many disabled people who are out playing sports and blatantly abusing it. Not saying it doesn't exist, but yeah. It can be mental as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 02:33 PM

106,817 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Ssa is ball parking 8 billion dollars in Ssdi cases in 2019 that shouldn’t have been paid out ..this is what they Know of …it could be the tip of the iceberg

Old 05-23-2021, 08:49 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,793,295 times
You apply for SSDI as soon as you become disabled. You start receiving payments after you have been disabled for 6 months.

SSDI is for people who have paid social security taxes for a certain minimum period of time. SSI is for people who have never worked, never paid into the system. Both are seriously abused; in fact, the population that was dependent upon welfare has, after the limits on welfare instituted under Clinton, essentially been moved entirely onto SSI. While one is allowed to work and earn a limited amount of money while on SSDI or SSI (I think about a thousand dollars a month), the fact is that many people who are on SSI or SSDI fraudulently, work and earn much more than that under the table. Through my lines of work and business, I have seen many who are on SSI or SSDI for physical disabilities working essentially full-time under the table in construction, roofing, auto repair, and other jobs which require that one be able-bodied.

The impending collapse of the social security system is largely due to the massive increase in disability awards. Were it not for all the fraudulent claims, social security would be solvent.

And yes, there are certain serious illnesses with short life spans that make one eligible for rapid approval. The program is called "compassionate allowance". Unfortunately, the list is not up to date, and is fairly arbitrary. It needs to be revised.
Diseases and conditions are periodically added to it, and one can submit a proposal for a condition or disease to be added to the list.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:06 PM

6,050 posts, read 3,766,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
You apply for SSDI as soon as you become disabled. You start receiving payments after you have been disabled for 6 months.

SSDI is for people who have paid social security taxes for a certain minimum period of time. SSI is for people who have never worked, never paid into the system. Both are seriously abused; in fact, the population that was dependent upon welfare has, after the limits on welfare instituted under Clinton, essentially been moved entirely onto SSI. While one is allowed to work and earn a limited amount of money while on SSDI or SSI (I think about a thousand dollars a month), the fact is that many people who are on SSI or SSDI fraudulently, work and earn much more than that under the table. Through my lines of work and business, I have seen many who are on SSI or SSDI for physical disabilities working essentially full-time under the table in construction, roofing, auto repair, and other jobs which require that one be able-bodied.

The impending collapse of the social security system is largely due to the massive increase in disability awards. Were it not for all the fraudulent claims, social security would be solvent.

And yes, there are certain serious illnesses with short life spans that make one eligible for rapid approval. The program is called "compassionate allowance". Unfortunately, the list is not up to date, and is fairly arbitrary. It needs to be revised.
Diseases and conditions are periodically added to it, and one can submit a proposal for a condition or disease to be added to the list.
Thanks. Very informative. There are so many people in our society who are gaming the system, cheating on welfare/disability claims, etc that it makes people who play by the rules feel like suckers for supporting all the cheaters. If our government would spend a little more to catch and penalize the cheaters, then we wouldn't have to consider raising taxes on the honest working people.

Old 05-23-2021, 11:03 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,614,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I asked whether you had to be unemployed for a year before you could receive SSDI in the original question because there is some confusing info on the internet. I could have sworn I read a few years back that you had to be out of work for a year before you were eligible for disability.
I think you need to have a year of history, with that particular cause of disability. To discourage filers from claiming disability for a broken arm. In reality, you'll be turned down the first time you self-file, and it will take a year to get your appeal heard, so it works out about the same. But a successful claim will pay retroactively to day of disability, 40% of which goes to your appeal lawyer -- a strong incentive to drad his heels. If you think you hate lawyers now, wait till you get to this step.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:12 AM

5,173 posts, read 3,775,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Thanks. Very informative. There are so many people in our society who are gaming the system, cheating on welfare/disability claims, etc that it makes people who play by the rules feel like suckers for supporting all the cheaters. If our government would spend a little more to catch and penalize the cheaters, then we wouldn't have to consider raising taxes on the honest working people.
Wouldn't count on that.

Old 05-24-2021, 05:59 AM

456 posts, read 349,323 times
You should also be aware that your disability date can go back two years from the date you file. For example, if you file in May of 2021 but were disabled in 2019, you may receive up to two years of disability payments. It is important to file as quickly as possible, but it's not a total loss if you've spent time trying to work with your disability and just can't.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:55 AM

130,567 posts, read 12,152,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I think you need to have a year of history, with that particular cause of disability. To discourage filers from claiming disability for a broken arm. In reality, you'll be turned down the first time you self-file, and it will take a year to get your appeal heard, so it works out about the same. But a successful claim will pay retroactively to day of disability, 40% of which goes to your appeal lawyer -- a strong incentive to drad his heels. If you think you hate lawyers now, wait till you get to this step.

I know several people who filed for disability, without a lawyer, & were approved on the first application. Of course they had filled out all the forms & had the x rays & other medical reports to back it up. One friend had cancer & her pal did it for her, she was approved quickly, but only received a few months of payments, as she died. But she had paid into it all her life.
I would do the first application yourself, & see if you get approved. No need to bring in a lawyer unless you need to.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:07 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,545,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I asked whether you had to be unemployed for a year before you could receive SSDI in the original question because there is some confusing info on the internet. I could have sworn I read a few years back that you had to be out of work for a year before you were eligible for disability.
Short answer: no.
Long answer: no.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:21 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,269,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post

The standard fee is $6,000 or 25% of the amount of backpay, whichever is less. Under circumstances, including multiple appeals, an attorney can request a higher amount, but there is no guarantee they will get it and it won't be 40%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement