Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 10:40 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,399,345 times

Advertisements

i would talk to the probate people at your local court house. You need to be appointed executor. They can give you guidance.
The joint accounts should just need a letter from you, better signed by your father, and a copy of the death certificate to change to his name only. These are NOT probate assets and you should not pay a fee to an attorney.
The title insurance company -the one the buyer is using - will help you get the title correct.

I would try and find an estate attorney that will charge you by the hour, not a % of the assets, and give you guidance on what you should do. Maybe an hour or two meeting at the start and an hour at the end to review what you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 11:16 AM

2,897 posts, read 1,839,727 times
Do follow the above wisdom; the Grief and Mourning Thread on City-Data was a wonderful comfort to me when my husband died.

When my husband died, received his death certificate from the Neptune Society. When I went to various businesses, they made copies, so after 9 years, still have 5 death certificates.

My pastor, a financial person I sought for wisdom.

When people ask what can they for you, tell them! For me, when my husband died, A cup of tea, fellowship with others was meaningful to me. Sharing about Bruce, caring listeners meant so much to me.

As one widow suggested to me, ask about the loved one. Your beloved mother, what was her first name, share a memory of her if you care to.

As a Poster wrote, give yourself time, at least for emotional healing. One day, one matter at a time.

Old 11-01-2021, 11:21 AM

131,211 posts, read 12,275,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
As Gemini1963 said, there's no immediate rush.

OTOH, DH is the executor of his mom's estate and she passed five years ago. He just can't bring himself to finish the job. I don't think he's been paying the taxes.

My heartfelt sympathy on your mom's passing.
He'd better hurry up. My uncle had the same problem when his wife died, he kept putting things off & then the state seized the assets, so he had to do more paperwork to get them refunded to him.

Old 11-01-2021, 11:38 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,742,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
He'd better hurry up. My uncle had the same problem when his wife died, he kept putting things off & then the state seized the assets, so he had to do more paperwork to get them refunded to him.
This!!! My nephew inherited my grandmothers house and didn't pay the taxes. All the other cousins etc thought he was paying, but nope. 4 years on, the state took the property. It was bought for pennies on the dollar and torn down by an investment company for the land. I was told it was sealed up after he was served eviction papers and no one was allowed inside to get my grandmothers things, which we had left there. He was too embarrassed to call anyone including his father, until it was too late and the house was literally gone. The taxes were about $2K a year, the house has been paid for over 30 years. It was a shame. Now different cousins don't speak to each other!

Old 11-01-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
This!!! My nephew inherited my grandmothers house and didn't pay the taxes. All the other cousins etc thought he was paying, but nope. 4 years on, the state took the property. It was bought for pennies on the dollar and torn down by an investment company for the land. I was told it was sealed up after he was served eviction papers and no one was allowed inside to get my grandmothers things, which we had left there. He was too embarrassed to call anyone including his father, until it was too late and the house was literally gone. The taxes were about $2K a year, the house has been paid for over 30 years. It was a shame. Now different cousins don't speak to each other!

So sad. I think this happens more often than we realize. When we lived in the SF Vay area, we had a neighbor who had inherited the home from his parents. He made good money but never paid the taxes. So he lost he home worth hundreds of thousands of dollars over a small tax bill. Crazy.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:05 PM

8,096 posts, read 10,138,000 times
What does the Will say? More than likely it says everything goes to the surviving spouse. If so, get copies of the death certificates and follow what you learned that an executor/administrator does. Nothing complicated as long as the Will says " i leave everything to my spouse".

"IF he precedes me in death", then.....get yourself a lawyer and they will help you probate the estate. $ well spent.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:09 PM

17,603 posts, read 16,745,124 times
Quote:
So sad. I think this happens more often than we realize. When we lived in the SF Vay area, we had a neighbor who had inherited the home from his parents. He made good money but never paid the taxes. So he lost he home worth hundreds of thousands of dollars over a small tax bill. Crazy.
This is just so odd. Do they just ignore the tax bill?

Old 11-01-2021, 12:22 PM

15,254 posts, read 13,051,400 times
In DH's case, there is no home at stake. My MIL lived in a manufactured home placed next to my sister-in-law's house. After she passed there were efforts to sell that home but it costs a lot to relocate an established manufactured home, so it's still there. I assume my sister-in-law is using it for storage or maybe guests.

I don't think the home is part of MIL's estate. I know for a fact it wasn't part of her trust.

P.S. Whoever you are who keeps leaving me unsigned comments on reps, cut it out. If you have something to say, say it in the forum.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
This is just so odd. Do they just ignore the tax bill?

Yes he did, ( ignore the bills) he spent his money on beer. He died shortly after the house was sold. I'm not sure why the sister didn't step in & pay the bill. The house was worth a lot of money. I think he was also a hoarder. Very sad.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:10 PM

17,603 posts, read 16,745,124 times
Quote:
Yes he did, ( ignore the bills) he spent his money on beer. He died shortly after the house was sold. I'm not sure why the sister didn't step in & pay the bill. The house was worth a lot of money. I think he was also a hoarder. Very sad.
That's a shame. His parents probably hoped to leave the house to their son so that he would always have a roof over his head. I think that happens in many "failure to launch" type of situations. The parents don't factor in needing to have the taxes paid I guess. Probably in this guy's case he may have been able to function well enough to keep his job but anything extra was too much for him to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement