Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 10:31 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,605,000 times

Advertisements

The rule is, if you didn't pay for the product, you *are* the product.

Yes, you can 'opt out' on both Apple and Android (and Windows) platforms. Most apps and site honor that, but not all do.

You can cut way down on targeted advertising by disabling third-party cookies on your browser. There will be some sites that whine that you need to enable cookies for their site - for them, if you trust them, you can usually add the site to an "allow cookies" list. There are some sites (Facebook, I'm looking at YOU) that insist you enable third-party cookies to use the site. Generally, I simply do not visit such sites. That is just egregiously bad, lazy, and/or nosy site architecture. To use Face book, I have downloaded a different browser, and enabled third-party cookies on it. I use it strictly and only to look at Facebook. So it can place all the cookies it wants.

We found a new browser named "Brave" that automatically gives you anonymous browsing. It's mostly OK (the Android version doesn't have a way to import bookmarks). And it also screens out many ads. You can find add-on tools for many browsers that accomplish the same thing, but this way it's all in one app.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 03:20 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,074,784 times
Waze - I used it daily, except when I want to be insulted (BSNavigator will insult and swear at you in various accents, depending on your settings).

Libby - our local public library uses the Libby app.

Shortcuts - an app for the iPhone that uses Siri to set up shortcuts on your phone (for example, set up a shortcut to tell Siri to use pull up Waze, load my home, and display my route in Waze with a simple voice commend, "Hey Siri. Drive Home." Basically, if it is part of your phone, the Shortcut app can be used to create a shortcut of apps).

Magnifying Glass - because, I am getting old and don't always remember my reading glasses.

Old 12-13-2021, 04:00 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,251,026 times
Insight Timer app for meditation and yoga. Some live and other stuff recorded for on demand listening. Free app and voluntary donations to practitioners.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:54 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,415,945 times
FlightAware, a live flight tracking app. Click on any plane icon and it will drill down on the flight number, destination, mph and altitude. I live in Florida on a flight path to Sarasota-Bradenton airport. When I hear a plane going overhead, I love finding out where it's coming from -- especially in winter, picturing all those travelers from up North who will be enjoying the warm weather when they land.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:02 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,373,524 times
Waze. It has the best traffic detection/notifications of any major navigation app I know of.

AutoSleep. I pair this with my Apple Watch for sleep monitoring. The data it collects seems very accurate.

Google Maps - pretty obvious.

Text Free - good burner app for people whom I don't want to know my real number.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:17 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,088,575 times
I like real yellow pages.
It will find anything for you and give you directions .
Easy to use.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:13 AM

1,496 posts, read 800,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
So what, who cares!
Me!

Old 12-14-2021, 08:15 AM

37,648 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I think one thing that you guys need to explain about apps is that they don't appear to be a one time purchase but that you have to rent them.......right?
Ah, no. Some might be a yearly subscription (rent is an odd term but okay) but many you pay just once. And most (every single one that I have) are free.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:17 AM

37,648 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Off topic rant = anyone find it strange that we now have really fancy earbud headphones that have multiple mics for direction noise canceling, custom sound profiles, waterproof, long charge, bluetooth, phone calls, tap controls, etc. for $100 but a good pair of hearing aids can easily be several thousand dollars?

Imagine the margins they must be working with on hearing aids compared to ear buds, and I'm surprised an earbud headphone company hasn't tried to dive into the hearing aid market with a combo product. Charge people a few hundred bucks, everybody wins.
The margins are HUGE. It is a giant ripoff for the hearing-impaired, sadly.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:08 AM

50,902 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Waze - I used it daily, except when I want to be insulted (BSNavigator will insult and swear at you in various accents, depending on your settings).

Libby - our local public library uses the Libby app.

Shortcuts - an app for the iPhone that uses Siri to set up shortcuts on your phone (for example, set up a shortcut to tell Siri to use pull up Waze, load my home, and display my route in Waze with a simple voice commend, "Hey Siri. Drive Home." Basically, if it is part of your phone, the Shortcut app can be used to create a shortcut of apps).

Magnifying Glass - because, I am getting old and don't always remember my reading glasses.
That’s so weird, under what circumstances will it curse at you??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement