Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 10:08 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,633,811 times

Advertisements

Way too many unanswered questions. There are a number of critrria under which someone may qualify for benefits under another person's account. What is the specific category under which you ever qualified in the first place.

For example, if a step-child qualifies, that eligibility ends with divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 10:15 PM

23,909 posts, read 33,702,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Way too many unanswered questions. There are a number of critrria under which someone may qualify for benefits under another person's account. What is the specific category under which you ever qualified in the first place.

What kind of unanswered questions?

She's talking about collecting her ex's social security. She's not asking about benefits for a kid.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:48 AM

107,078 posts, read 109,388,270 times
Quote:

There are no other questions in the ops case as far as just getting an amount .

They have not stated their age which is key when it comes to filing or whether they are eligible to just file restricted application letting theirs grow while taking spousal

Old 02-25-2022, 05:59 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,633,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What kind of unanswered questions?

She's talking about collecting her ex's social security. She's not asking about benefits
for a kid.
OK, then -- under what SS program was she ever eligible for any SS benefits under her husband? My wife was never eligible for any of my benefits, and still isn't. What made here eligible for that benefit? Look up her former status, and it will be easy to find her current status. Merely divorcing a beneficiary does not necessarily, for that reason alone, give entitlement to any of his benefits.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:23 AM

Depends ….

You need to have been married 10 years ..

Then it matters how old you are .

If you were not at least 62 in 2015 and grand fathered in , then you cannot let your own ss grow and take half of your spouses .

As a spouse or ex spouse , If you missed the cutoff then you only get your own ss first , and if half your ex’s is more than your full you get the difference added to yours .

Those 62 in 2015 or older can leave theirs alone and take half the ex’s no matter if their own is larger or not. That is called filing restricted application.

It was killed off as an option unless you were grandfathered in

Old 02-25-2022, 11:43 AM

3,225 posts, read 2,457,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbienj View Post
I have looked through the SS website and I can not find how to get the numbers of what I could collect if I collected under my ex. We were married over 10 years and I have never remarried.

I think I see where HE could put in the info to find out but I can't ask him to do that.

Does anyone know the process to get that information?
Helps if you know his social but not necessary. Visit a social security office or call to find out whether your full social security is more than half of his at his FRA. My friend did this. Also note, if he dies before you do you then get whatever he was getting at death so long as you meet other requirements. https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...vivor-benefit/

Old 02-25-2022, 11:57 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,020,644 times
Quote:
I believe you need to be a qualified SS recipient yourself, in order to qualify for any of your spouse's benefits.

Do you have a SS number? Is the spouse still alive?
I know someone female, married more than 10 yrs and divorced who used her dead husband’s SS earnings to qualify for Medicare and SS spousal
She didn’t have enough credits of her own
I didn’t know you could use spouse’s credits for Medicare eligibility

Old 02-25-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I know someone female, married more than 10 yrs and divorced who used her dead husband’s SS earnings to qualify for Medicare and SS spousal
She didn’t have enough credits of her own
I didn’t know you could use spouse’s credits for Medicare eligibility
If her ex is dead spousal ends when they do ….she may have gotten survivor benefits from him

Old 02-25-2022, 04:38 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,020,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
If her ex is dead spousal ends when they do ….she may have gotten survivor benefits from him
She was more worried about qualifying for Medicare

Old 02-25-2022, 07:13 PM

1,155 posts, read 966,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You will definitely need your marriage certificate and divorce final decree. And his SS#.
That makes sense. I was skeptical that SS would provide information about an ex-spouse's benefit amount without checking those documents first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement