Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 12:06 PM

3,579 posts, read 4,525,522 times

Advertisements

Didn’t expect to curtail traveling. But, you know Covid.
Then now that traveling is ok, BH can barely walk. So that’s out.
We used to be very social, seems most died or don’t leave the house.

I should be drinking more, but stopped altogether. BH ‘all the more for me’.

My energy level has all but disappeared.
AND don’t get me started on insomnia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 02:15 PM

23,532 posts, read 19,266,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

In addition—and as important a factor as energy level—I have become increasingly disgruntled with the pervasive humans-above-all goals that seem to have permeated even conservation-missioned organizations. Everything has to be for people to use it, as if a healthy, wild environment can’t possibly be allowed to exist for its own sake (which benefits native flora and fauna).
Either that or the preservationist orgs go to the opposite extreme and refuse to collaborate on anything. They end up making dedicated enemies out of entities they might have found a way to work with. Too holier-than-thou, purist to tolerate. So ironic these elitists end up standing right in their own way.

Old 05-28-2022, 02:52 PM

216 posts, read 190,898 times
I don't miss having to wake up for work early and drive into work in snowstorms! 3+ years since retiring, I still get work dreams but after 50+ years of working, I guess this is routine. BTW, for most of my working career, I was in IT and on call. I certainly don't miss those 3am phone calls to put out a fire!

Last edited by rochester_veteran; 05-28-2022 at 03:04 PM..

Old 05-28-2022, 03:07 PM

15,254 posts, read 13,051,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Fluffythewondercat, you filed for divorce months ago? Did you rescind it?

It takes FOREVER in Arizona.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:16 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,545,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It takes FOREVER in Arizona.
Will you stay in Arizona?

Old 05-28-2022, 04:30 PM

7,345 posts, read 4,696,409 times
If you are divorcing it doesn’t matter that he changed his mind about selling. You either each keep a house and even up with cash or you sell both and split everything.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:02 PM

9,549 posts, read 5,344,831 times
I feel like I've gotten really lazy. like, really.
I have plenty to do but don't much feel like doing any of it. I'm 2 yrs in. Perhaps I need to make a schedule and create structure for myself.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:30 PM

709 posts, read 515,263 times
I’ve been retired 2 years. My plan was to visit relatives, but since I bought my retirement home to be near them before I retired, they are almost all dead now. So I’ve kinda become a hermit and recluse. Mainly because I’m going deaf and I can’t socialize. And another thing is I tend to forget what day of the week it is. More than once I’ve gone to a store to get something and it’s closed for the weekend. I had no idea what day of the week it is.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:57 AM

327 posts, read 134,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am not talking about anything beyond your control, but just about something you thought would happen in retirement but didn't regarding your personal lifestyle and/or choices.

For example, with me and my husband, I thought we would drink more wine -- have a glass out on the patio when the weather was nice, maybe have more "Mimosa brunches", etc. (Wine is virtually the only type of alcoholic beverage we drink.)

Instead our alcohol beverage consumption has decreased by about 20-25%!
Alcohol is good for relaxation. Which you have at your discretion.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:05 AM

8,149 posts, read 4,041,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I’ve been retired 2 years. My plan was to visit relatives, but since I bought my retirement home to be near them before I retired, they are almost all dead now. So I’ve kinda become a hermit and recluse. Mainly because I’m going deaf and I can’t socialize. And another thing is I tend to forget what day of the week it is. More than once I’ve gone to a store to get something and it’s closed for the weekend. I had no idea what day of the week it is.

I feel your pain. Being hard of hearing sux. For me, hearing aids are better than nothing, but conversations when there is any significant ambient noise are quite difficult.

But there's always the joke about the 3 older guys at a College Reunion:

First guy: "It's Windy, isn't it."
Second guy: "No, it's Thursday."
Third guy: "Me too; let's get a beer."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement