Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 03:44 PM

7,702 posts, read 3,314,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
I thought things would get better and better and be more interesting. I had a lot of plans that were dashed by Covid - plans that I have not been able to reactivate (still surges in places I want to travel to, plus I feel less physically/mentally functional than I did a couple of years ago). I guess I didn't really think getting old would be a liability, but I'm finding out, it is.

I hope I change my mind about that, because I know there are some old people who are thriving and doing everything in their 80's and even 90's.

I would not underestimate the impact that Covid had on your/our mental health. It might take some time to dig out of all that (for a lot of us).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 03:55 PM

19,879 posts, read 9,424,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
World Klas, a easy solution is to take turns picking vacations and then the other person happily goes along knowing that they get to pick the next one.
Absolutely spot on. It just makes sense.

Old 05-29-2022, 03:56 PM

700 posts, read 448,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I would not underestimate the impact that Covid had on your/our mental health. It might take some time to dig out of all that (for a lot of us).
You know? I've been contemplating about posting the same thing.

COVID has been a mental health nightmare for me.

Others have wanted to throw simple labels on various people's struggles, usually "depression."

It's not what I would call it (what I'm feeling and what I feel like the OP might be describing), and just labelling it as depression is not helpful.

For me, I've found:

Not enjoying events in the same way I used to. There are specific places that used to be "the happiest place on earth" to me (not Disney) that were not enjoyable to me when I visited again when they re-opened.
Having a mild/weird/pervasive form of anxiety seeing the diminished public activity in the last 2 years. Walking by shuttered businesses, seeing retail staff struggling with overwork and rude customers, not being able to casually walk into a bar or restaurant without reservations, etc.
I've found a growing schism between people whose company I really enjoy vs. dread. Not in the same fashion that the OP describes, though, but a schism nonetheless. My handful of close friends are awesome...had a 4 hour dinner with 2 of my closest and we laughed from beginning to end. On the other end of the spectrum I have more casual friends whose company I used to somewhat enjoy but now I DREAD spending time with them. I don't link it to the same dynamic that the OP presents, but I don't think it matters. The social/mental impacts of COVID did a number on all of us.

Old 05-29-2022, 03:58 PM

1,250 posts, read 681,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I think you're right.

I suspect it's having a huge impact on all of us.

Old 05-29-2022, 04:00 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,299,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Wow! I can see where your DH is coming from. I hate road trips. Can't stand what seem like endless blacktop. Plus I don't like land vacations. Only vacation enjoyable to me is a cruise. In retirement, I have been doing up to 4 cruises a year. Just love being on the ocean with the ship mainly the destination. Ports of call would be gravy or dessert.

What I did not expect is to be single again in retirement. At first it seemed scary but now I love it. Can do what I want, when I want. No compromises involved !!!
OMG - I love road trips!

Old 05-29-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Wow! I can see where your DH is coming from. I hate road trips. Can't stand what seem like endless blacktop. Plus I don't like land vacations. Only vacation enjoyable to me is a cruise. In retirement, I have been doing up to 4 cruises a year. Just love being on the ocean with the ship mainly the destination. Ports of call would be gravy or dessert.

What I did not expect is to be single again in retirement. At first it seemed scary but now I love it. Can do what I want, when I want. No compromises involved !!
!
I think that must be the ONLY compensation to being single if you were formerly married and liked being married.

(That, and being able to be lazy and look like a slob around your own house if you feel like it -- which is actually a mixed "blessing", I think. It is good to have someone there to prevent you from being a total sloth, but sometimes I just feel like staying in my jammies all day if we are not doing anything. Just like I miss our dog for forcing us to go on walks even if it was cold or rainy.)

Old 05-29-2022, 04:04 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,599,928 times
Retired for 3 years now. Love working the ranch, but I knew I would. Learning a different climate and soil has been an adventure, but joining the old bulls club where ranchers go to talk and BS over coffee in the morning has brought a lot of great information and new friends.

The big surprise was that knowing how much I detested my "career", I was completely shocked by how much I love curating the small local museum.
It's only 3 days a week during the summer, but the history and research, helping people with genealogical questions, collaborating with other museums, talking local history with the customers, I never knew work could actually be fun and fulfilling.

I loved the Navy and would have been a lifer if not for physical breakdowns, but long deployments, the endless travel, being separated from the wife for months at a time, it was sometimes a tough job.

But this strange little museum in a small town on the back side of nowhere in conjunction with my ranch, I can honestly say I've never been happier.
Retirement has been the best part of my life so far.

Old 05-29-2022, 04:32 PM

^^ Now THAT is what I call an uplifting post! I am very happy for you and thanks for sharing!

Old 05-29-2022, 04:43 PM

6,312 posts, read 4,215,212 times
I was worried my husband would get easily bored but he took to retirement like a duck to water. I also never imagined we would become avid hikers in Arizona and daily coffee shop bums. I’m happily surprised how well we are in alignment on what we want to do regarding travel and other activities so it’s been working out much better than expected.

Old 05-29-2022, 05:51 PM

28 posts, read 28,216 times
I am surprised that I have gone back to a heavier work schedule after working part time for many years. This is suiting me well, because I enjoy the job. It adds so much meaning to my life. And I am very concerned about the economy, the high inflation, and a falling stock market. So I will be adding a couple more years of good wages to beef up my SS when I start it at age 70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement