Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 06:13 PM

8,149 posts, read 4,041,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Can do what I want, when I want. No compromises involved !!!
Me too. I can do what I want, when I want.

I just have to ask my wife for permission first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 08:23 PM

6,756 posts, read 4,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I feel like I've gotten really lazy. like, really.
I have plenty to do but don't much feel like doing any of it. I'm 2 yrs in. Perhaps I need to make a schedule and create structure for myself.

I retired about a year and went back to a part time job, but something I enjoy with no stress. Just 3 days a week, and not a full days at that. When you're working you look forward to the weekend, when you retire, every day is the weekend. That took some getting use too. You cant be a couch potato, you have to keep active, and doing something creative helps. I just wasnt ready to throw the towel in. I still like getting up and having to be somewhere. Just not everyday. But one day it will hit me. Thats it! Im done.

Old 06-03-2022, 04:32 AM

6,792 posts, read 5,527,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Ours is up. And, our per bottle price is up.
We are happy.
Liked: "We are happy"

A glass of wine will do that for ya!

Prost!

Old 06-03-2022, 04:38 AM

6,792 posts, read 5,527,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I (always) thought I would enjoy it, but I don't. Surprise!
What don't you like?

I mean the old bumper snicker comes to mind:
"No alarm; No boss; retired; no money"

*Although I collect SSDI, I am allowed to work..up to an earnings limit. I've worked on/off during. Why?
Well, for one the extra $$ (and I get a bump up credit for work).
Biggest reason? Because after awhile I get bored stiff.
(Not in a way I'd like!)

Best

Old 06-07-2022, 01:13 PM

130 posts, read 169,823 times
I'm not retired yet but I can't wait to find out.

I'm 58 years old and have 4 years, 11, months, 3 days, 1 hour and 19 minutes left until my planned retirement date on my 63rd birthday but whose counting (I don't need to, there's an app for that).

I think I will come to the same conclusion that my father-in-law did when he said "I don't know how I ever had time to work." I've never had a problem with occupying my time.

I think I will also be amazed at how good I feel once I can sleep as much as I want to. I've gotten up between 5:00 and 5:30am for the past 35 years and suffer from serious sleep deprivation.

I will most definitely be in the overjoyed to be retired crowd. I've had a good career, learned a lot, made a good living, and met some really great people but I can't wait to be free and spend the rest of my days doing what I want to do. Someone on here described it as that feeling you had when you were a kid and you were totally free. That is exactly how I will feel.

Old 06-07-2022, 01:20 PM

16,202 posts, read 10,879,461 times
Yes. I can't find enough time to get everything done that I want to do. Granted, I move slower than I did and probably not as disciplined, but I never seem to get around to the things that I want to spend time on. Maybe too many distractions --- like the Retirement Forum?

Old 06-07-2022, 01:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,825 posts, read 58,400,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebloke View Post
I'm not retired yet but I can't wait to find out.

... I can't wait to be free and spend the rest of my days doing what I want to do. Someone on here described it as that feeling you had when you were a kid and you were totally free. That is exactly how I will feel.
good luck on the <5 yr exit.

Make every day count as preparation for your retirement.

A suggestion* (which you may not need).

*Get all your projects and downsizing done while you are working so that when you pull-the-plug, you will be certainly free.

I say that because I participated in (3) company severance packages and found the most successful in being truly free, were those who made specific arrangments so that they were actually free when they walked out of their workplace.

sadly... What one thing about your personal retirement lifestyle or choices surprised you the most?
The lack of ability or interest in completing the (too) many projects I had set aside for retirement. I could have learned from my uncle. Went in for simple elective surgery 10 days before retirement. Due to medical error, he became a quadriplegic (and a very angry one) Could not talk, eat, be mobile. He had 5 tractors lined up for restoration and was about 1/2 way done with a few. All had to be sold at a fraction of their value. Uncle never turned another wrench.

(retired / pre-retired) Life could be much more simple. Considering purposely planning for that!

Your options for enjoying retirement are much more plentiful when you are not overburdened with stuff and commitments.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:00 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,143,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am not talking about anything beyond your control, but just about something you thought would happen in retirement but didn't regarding your personal lifestyle and/or choices.

For example, with me and my husband, I thought we would drink more wine -- have a glass out on the patio when the weather was nice, maybe have more "Mimosa brunches", etc. (Wine is virtually the only type of alcoholic beverage we drink.)

Instead our alcohol beverage consumption has decreased by about 20-25%!

We-ll, that is like when I looked at all my drinking glassware, wondering what I would use it for if I gave up drinking, thinking for fruit juice.......well, skipped right over that and now it sits very idle, in its own set of shelves.

Anything? Well, I probably thought that there would be time for more romance........once upon a time.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:27 PM

22,150 posts, read 13,206,583 times
I remember being so excited to retire when I was five years out that I didn't think I could wait another minute! But things change.

Old 06-08-2022, 06:20 AM

130 posts, read 169,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I remember being so excited to retire when I was five years out that I didn't think I could wait another minute! But things change.
That is pretty much where I am at now. I think I'm just completely and totally burnt out from over 3 decades of a demanding, high stress, long hours, profession with a one hour or more commute for most of those years.

What exactly changed for you and how did it impact your retirement plans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement