Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 09:58 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'm a senior. ALL my moments are senior moments.
LOL, yes. Some poster has that under their name, pretty funny.

I´m sure I´m having them, but I notice DH saying ¨what did I do with...¨ or ¨where did I put...¨or ¨can´t find....¨ dozens of times a day and that kinda worries me.

Is that the first symptom of....you know ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 10:13 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
LOL, yes. Some poster has that under their name, pretty funny.

I´m sure I´m having them, but I notice DH saying ¨what did I do with...¨ or ¨where did I put...¨or ¨can´t find....¨ dozens of times a day and that kinda worries me.

Is that the first symptom of....you know ?
No, he is probably just use to asking you. He'd have to really think if you weren't there to tell him. I just turned 70 and live alone, so I have a few a day. Like this morning off to Starbucks for Dad, my brother and myself and drove right past the hwy exit There was a turn around not far down the road. My Dad is 93, so we have some hilarious conversations about "what's his name?"

Old 08-08-2022, 11:09 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Not many in a day, maybe a few a week. As I turn 74 this week (send presents!), I sometimes can't remember names during a conversation. I will be talking about some famous person or incident and totally space out on the name. It will eventually come to me. It always happens with Lyle Lovett -- I cannot remember his name for all the (whatever it is) in China. I rely on my iPhone sometimes to look up the person because I'll know all I need to find them on Google except the name. It is very aggravating, and I don't have that problem when writing, only in conversations.

At home, I live alone and manage quite well but get distracted and intend to do something but get sidetracked (like right now, for example). I once left the car running in the attached garage because I was gathering up things to take in the house and had something else on my mind and walked off with the motor running. I soon realized I didn't have my keys but thought I left them on the kitchen table and didn't think about the car. I eventually heard the noise and wondered what it was -- and freaked out when I realized the car was still running. I went out and bought a couple carbon monoxide alarms that same day. Never happened again.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:22 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
I think the "forgetting the famous person's name" thing is just due to the fact that the older you get, the more names you are expected to remember .... everyone from Elvis Presley to Lady Gaga. The more names you have to remember, the more likely you'll occasionally forget one.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:40 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
yes - just today none of us could remember the name of a store

finally after an hour it came to us - Old Navy. We just knew it was something military - lol

Old 08-08-2022, 11:54 AM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would estimate 2-3 times a day.

Most often is probably walking into a room and having to think "why did I come in here?"

Next common is leaving the house without my phone, and having to go back in to get it.
Maybe now the wife is happy. At least the seat is down if not the lid.

Is it a senior moment by the time you get dressed & go to front door
you have to return to bathroom for #1 or #2.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:29 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Not many in a day, maybe a few a week. As I turn 74 this week (send presents!), I sometimes can't remember names during a conversation. I will be talking about some famous person or incident and totally space out on the name. It will eventually come to me. It always happens with Lyle Lovett -- I cannot remember his name for all the (whatever it is) in China. I rely on my iPhone sometimes to look up the person because I'll know all I need to find them on Google except the name. It is very aggravating, and I don't have that problem when writing, only in conversations.
I use my phone as a crutch as well but sometimes I wonder if it would be better not to.

Perhaps we should be tricking our brains into working a bit harder rather than expecting instant "Magic 8 Ball" responses?

Old 08-08-2022, 02:37 PM

310 posts, read 202,839 times
I try and limit senior moments to (I hope) two a day. I got very annoyed recently in a supermarket parking lot. When I arrived there I put several canvas grocery bags in a cart, but the cart was all wobbly. So I went over to another cart. I was well into the store when I realized I left the canvas bags in the other cart. I had to walk a bit of distance to retrieve them, and thankfully the cart was untouched. I try and assure myself that I've been doing these kind of things all my life, but getting older puts a somewhat worrisome spin on it.

One trick is to vocally say what you're doing, such as "Okay, I'm locking the front door." This tends to stick in the mind if I'm concerned later.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:11 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
One trick is to vocally say what you're doing, such as "Okay, I'm locking the front door." This tends to stick in the mind if I'm concerned later.
Yes! That is a terrific brain trick. Thanks for mentioning it.

Old 08-08-2022, 04:33 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yes! That is a terrific brain trick. Thanks for mentioning it.
I have OCD and I can't tell you how many trains I missed over the years because I'd get struck by the thought that I had forgotten to unplug the coffeepot and the house would burn down and my cats would die. Even though I KNEW it was crazy, most of the time I had to turn around and go home and check.

Eventually I figured out that saying "I am unplugging the coffee pot" would help me when the thought struck on the way to the train and I would be able to keep going. Age had nothing to do with this!

Didn't have a trick for when I hit a pothole and was sure I had killed a pedestrian, though.

Brains are weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement