Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 07:34 AM

130,418 posts, read 12,118,417 times

Advertisements

NONE .... that I can remember anyhow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 08:07 AM

310 posts, read 202,960 times
Sometimes wherever I am I might be spotted looking as if I'm scratching myself all over in a ritualistic way. What I'm actually doing is a checklist of "keys...wallet...phone." All accounted for? If so, I then proceed with the day.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:01 AM

6,461 posts, read 3,154,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
Sometimes wherever I am I might be spotted looking as if I'm scratching myself all over in a ritualistic way. What I'm actually doing is a checklist of "keys...wallet...phone." All accounted for? If so, I then proceed with the day.

Right there, with you..........

Old 08-09-2022, 09:03 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Me too!

Recently I locked myself out of my car with wallet, cell phone and 2 dogs inside on a hot day (wasn't too bad, but still). We had stopped on the interstate at a Love's to take a doggie park break. Took 30 minutes to get them out. Since then I wear my keys on a lanyard inside of my clothing.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:03 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
It's really scary when I can't hold a thought for 5 seconds. Get up to go into the kitchen, forget what I went in for. I need to talk to myself ALL the time.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:09 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
My trademark senior moment is to order at a drive through, drive to the first window, pay, smile and thank the employee, put my credit card back in my purse - and sail right past the second window where my food is waiting, and drive off. It’s usually a couple blocks before I remember, turn around, and claim my bag. I’m almost to the point of being happy when there’s a line, then I remember by all the cars in front of me that there’s another part to the transaction.
But is that a senior moment.....or something else?

When I was in my 20s and in the service, I remember about ready to sign up for a dance class, about ready to write the check when I suddenly recalled that I couldn't take this class weekly on Thursday because I was already signed up for one weekly on Tuesday and Thursday.

Youthful scatterbrainness, I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Me too!

Recently I locked myself out of my car with wallet, cell phone and 2 dogs inside on a hot day (wasn't too bad, but still). We had stopped on the interstate at a Love's to take a doggie park break. Took 30 minutes to get them out. Since then I wear my keys on a lanyard inside of my clothing.
That's the house talisman theory. These days, when I get home and get out of my jeans, a house key on paracord goes around my neck and stays there until I get dressed the next day. It all comes from the bigger set of conditions which have the rule of "Go thru no door which can lock on you without a way back in.".

Further, outside the house, I always carry two sets of keys...........but that comes from watching The Saint (Roger Moore). "Simon" meets someone at night in a forest. Unknown to Simon, they have pulled the keys from his car. They meet, throw his keys into the forest, tell him he can look for them when the sun comes up. They drive off. Simon pulls the spare set from his pocket and takes off in pursuit.

Moral of the story is ..... A spare set of keys at home does you no good if you are without them when you need them.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:33 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,934,268 times
Every so often (once or twice a month?), I have some senior moments like not remembering names of celebrities, well known actors/actresses or old acquaintances. Yes, I do rely on the internet and digital records on my computer to jog my memories.

I think distractions are the main cause of forgetfulness. I still multitask and forget to do things every so often but the frequencies have not increased over the years.

If anything, I am less prone to losing or misplacing things in retirement because I have more time to do the following:

1. Put things back where they belong RIGHT AWAY.

2. Making check lists (mental or paper) and adhere to them. Simple things such as 3 things to have before heading out of the house for a trip (car/house key, wallet and cellphone).

3. Put schedules on my calendars. It is quite easy to have yahoo calendar reminds me of appointments and to glance at the wall calendar next to my 'work' station to get things done on schedule: going to appointments, paying bills, watering plants etc.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:07 PM

14,955 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would estimate 2-3 times a day.

Most often is probably walking into a room and having to think "why did I come in here?"

Next common is leaving the house without my phone, and having to go back in to get it.
I was doing that walking into a room and forgetting why I went in there for long before I became a senior, still doing it. Fortunately, the solution of returning to where I was to remember still works.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:35 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,810,912 times
Take a picture when you park at the grocery store, wherever. Is a hint I read. Thank you for the reminder.

Take i.d. when alone walking; gruesome, just yesterday, rural town, had to take a detour from a friend's home. 71 year old male, riding his bicycle, Killed by a garage truck backing up. My friend's husband, saw the body, fortunately covered with a blanket shortly after the accident. Was the biker distracted ?

This Thread reminds me to be aware, alert, keep calm.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:01 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Moral of the story is ..... A spare set of keys at home does you no good if you are without them when you need them.
This is what hide-a-keys are for! I always hide a set somewhere on the property. There must be dozens of places for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement