Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 11:54 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,409,621 times

Advertisements

So I was just watching a video on You Tube on the subject of seniors seeking to split a home with roommates (they call it "Boommates" ) for financial reasons, with also benefits of having a company.

I was wondering: has anyone ever heard of senior housing on a principle of student dorms? A group housing with individual rooms, like a hotel, ie, single rooms with their own bathrooms but no kitchens (just an option of having a mini-fridge, microwave and hotplate - the way you can have in some hotel rooms)? It seems to me like a very economical solution that would interest a lot of people, but I have never heard of large-capacity senior housing like that.

I am not talking about nursing homes or assisted facilities, just regular housing for independent seniors, particularly single seniors (or not even seniors but single people who want to live alone economically, and do not care to do any real cooking).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 12:01 PM

899 posts, read 674,045 times
I think it's a great idea, though I don't know of any places in existence. Back in Dallas (and I'm sure elsewhere) there has been this idea of building condos right next to shopping in a sort of multipurpose property, but that's not the same.

Here's another interesting approach. I kinda like the idea of leaving your apt, going downstairs and "going out" to dinner, all under one roof:

When it was built 188 years ago, the Arcade Providence was America's first shopping mall, hosting boutiques on all three floors. Now those shops have been transformed into 48 tiny apartments and a mix of businesses, including restaurants, a coffee shop, and a new hair salon.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...tments-2016-10

Old 10-20-2022, 12:31 PM

12,063 posts, read 10,289,467 times
I would love this.

I even told my family, we should set up a compound in my back acre. Everyone would have their little cabin - bedroom, bathroom - but there would be a communal kitchen.

I remember this article from earlier this year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...in-retirement/

I've lived in dorms, hotels etc for many years, so it would not bother me at all.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:32 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,503,023 times
some hotels have them,not a kitchenette,but bathroom and furnishing.and you get discount for eating in their restaurants

Old 10-20-2022, 12:36 PM

12,063 posts, read 10,289,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
So I was just watching a video on You Tube on the subject of seniors seeking to split a home with roommates (they call it "Boommates" ) for financial reasons, with also benefits of having a company.

I was wondering: has anyone ever heard of senior housing on a principle of student dorms? A group housing with individual rooms, like a hotel, ie, single rooms with their own bathrooms but no kitchens (just an option of having a mini-fridge, microwave and hotplate - the way you can have in some hotel rooms)? It seems to me like a very economical solution that would interest a lot of people, but I have never heard of large-capacity senior housing like that.

I am not talking about nursing homes or assisted facilities, just regular housing for independent seniors, particularly single seniors (or not even seniors but single people who want to live alone economically, and do not care to do any real cooking).
The assisted living place my late sibling was in was very nice. And they had different levels of care.

One where you basically had a room with a bathroom, an area with a sink, small fridge, micro, had satellite service etc. You could have your meals in the dining room or go out to eat. If you needed more assistance - they would charge extra - meds for examle.

They would take them to doctor appointments, out to dinners in town and had margarita and pina colada night every Friday!

Old 10-20-2022, 12:38 PM

18,144 posts, read 15,717,350 times
I want an au pair. For me.

And a chef.

And a housekeeper.

I doubt I could stand having a roommate now. It sure was fun when I was 22, just starting out and moving to SF. Lots of good times and many memories from those years. I'm still in touch with that roommate & her sister.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:45 PM

740 posts, read 474,596 times
There are 'boarding houses' and 'residential halls' in my location. I've met one or two older single people who resided in these types of places.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:49 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,589,211 times
https://www.theseniorlist.com/retire...st/university/

Life On A College Or University Campus – An Alternative Retirement Destination

Housing
(LIVING ON CAMPUS or very close-by walking distance)

If you’re thinking that living on a college campus means going back to dorm life, the good news is that college retirement communities include individual housing units specifically for seniors. Each UBRC (University Based Retirement Community) is different, so some may have apartment-style living, while others have small neighborhoods with townhomes, duplexes, or single-family homes near campus.

Features of university-based retirement communities (UBRC)

• Single-family homes, condos, townhouses, or apartment living options that are on a college campus or nearby (often within walking distance)
• Communities designed with walkability in mind, allowing you access to most of your daily activities without driving
• Access to all the amenities available on a college campus, including top-notch fitness centers, recreation centers, pools, sports venues, sports teams, and more
• Access to performing arts and cultural communities, including music venues, theater performances, art galleries, and a world-class library
• Opportunity to enroll in non-credit college courses to provide intellectual stimulation (many colleges and universities also allow retirees who want to earn a college degree to enroll in courses for credit, although this usually costs more)
• A diverse population and interactions with college-age students, professors, university staff, and other retirees in your community

Last edited by matisse12; 10-20-2022 at 02:15 PM..

Old 10-20-2022, 01:52 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,409,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
The assisted living place my late sibling was in was very nice. And they had different levels of care.

One where you basically had a room with a bathroom, an area with a sink, small fridge, micro, had satellite service etc. You could have your meals in the dining room or go out to eat. If you needed more assistance - they would charge extra - meds for examle.

They would take them to doctor appointments, out to dinners in town and had margarita and pina colada night every Friday!

Did that place allow independent living, though? For a healthy person who doesn't care for cooking or for wasted square footage (like, eg, a hallway)?

There is one co-op skyscraper complex in Manhattan, called Tudor City (not for seniors but for general population; however, it is popular among seniors), where a substantial part of it was built in the1920s as a "singles residential hotel". The "singles" units are about 300-375 sq ft, and do not have a separate kitchen, just a nook with mini-appliances for basic cooking & refrigeration (and there is a pretty good restaurant on the premises, as well as of course all the other places to eat in Manhattan). In fact such residential hotels were popular in the large US cities in the late 19th and early 20th century - but somehow they stopped building them. I think they should start building them again - I think developers could make a good money on that, and there would surely be a lot of interest, not just among seniors but in younger age groups too. Anyone here knows any developers? Tell them!

Old 10-20-2022, 01:52 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,589,211 times
https://www.aplaceformom.com/caregiv...back-to-school

Lifelong Learning, a University Retirement Community Can Get Them Back on Campus

(LIVING ON CAMPUS)

Last updated February 24, 2022

Seniors starting a new chapter in life are choosing to have the college experience as part of their retirement — but they’re not moving into the dorms. Designed just for seniors, university retirement communities, or university-based retirement communities (UBRCs), are gaining popularity for their myriad opportunities.

Arizona State University (ASU) in Tempe welcomed its newest class when the UBRC Mirabella at ASU opened its doors in 2020. The 20-story continuing care retirement community (CCRC) sits right on the ASU campus.

136-acre campus at Oak Hammock at the University of Florida - Oak Hammock, 37% of its 800+ residents have an affiliation with the university via groups, academics, or activities.

Vi at Palo Alto — across from Stanford University

Holy Cross Village at Notre Dame in Notre Dame, Indiana, shares its campus with Holy Cross College and is just a few blocks from the historic University of Notre Dame.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-20-2022 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement