Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 10:05 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yeah, she is tiny and snacks on things like tuna and nuts when she remembers to eat.

Most people do want a kitchen... My neighbor and I used to joke that we did not have to clean our kitchens; just "dust" them -- LOL. But, the pandemic changed that for me.
I'm not quite tiny; that somehow only applies to 5'2" or shorter (which I am not). I am in a lower range of average. The rest of that sentence is fairly accurate :-).

After I stopped generally eating meat (except tuna), I am finding out that it tastes really bad on rare occasions when I do eat it. It is surprising how I no longer miss meat at all. I also eat only boiled egg whites, and throw away the yolks (which I don't miss too much either). But I do miss one thing I try not to eat any more, and that is pastries. I never made them myself, but I liked to grab them as a quick bite from bakeries in Chinatown. I am still craving them, but the deadly types of fats and amount of sugar in them are really prohibitive. The closest I nowadays come to dessert sweets is soaking some boiled rice noodles in oat milk, sprinkled with cinnamon. That is the closest I let myself to questionable fats and empty carbs now, but boy do I miss pastries...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 04:35 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Because you don't have to pay electric bills, gas bills, cable bills, internet bills, food bills, property taxes, homeowners' insurance, or HOA fees, and you receive weekly cleaning, free maintenance, entertainment, shuttle bus service, and free meals. You also get emergency call buttons or cords in the main room and the bath, with immediate response from someone right in the building at no additional cost. And if you give up your car and just use the shuttle you can stop paying for gas, tires, car insurance, and annual car registration taxes. So it actually can be a real deal for someone coming from a SFH or even an apartment.

Not sure why someone wouldn't want a sitting area in their apartment. Where will you put your comfy chair to watch TV, read, or post on C-D? Sitting in bed all day isn't good for one's back. I'm not suggesting that's what you do, but occasionally one would rather sit in comfort, and not on a bed. Besides, no one's going to actually make you sit in your sitting area, it's just space to put your comfy chair, or maybe a table with one or two dining chairs to use as a desk or a place to drink your coffee and read, or work on projects or the computer.
This sounds exactly like the place my sibling's last place was like. All was basically done for you.

No worries about utilities etc. Sounds like a great deal to me.

But then some folks mention "independence" - you can come and go as you want in these type of places, but still some feel confined.

Old 10-23-2022, 06:11 PM

7,094 posts, read 4,526,537 times
In the facility where my friend lived in a assisted living apartment for 8k/month the independent living one bedroom apartments were 3300/month. That’s much more than all my bills put together in a 2 bedroom condo

Old 10-24-2022, 10:29 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I don't want a kitchen sink (there is one in the bathroom). I do want a small fridge, but that can be placed anywhere, it does not require a kitchen. No microwave. No coffeemaker (I switched to green tea because coffee started tipping my borderline blood pressure above borderline). I do need a hotplate, to make tea, or boil eggs or veggies or pasta. I do not do any other cooking, and a hotplate also can be placed anywhere, does not require a kitchen. I could have a fridge under the bathroom sink, and a hotplate above the toilet flush tank, no problem :-).
You do realize that every time you flush, some of that toilet water becomes aerosolized?

I think you are being a bit disingenuous about the kitchen, since you do want a fridge, a place to cook and a sink to clean up. And you know the bathroom is not sanitary enough for that.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
In the facility where my friend lived in a assisted living apartment for 8k/month the independent living one bedroom apartments were 3300/month. That’s much more than all my bills put together in a 2 bedroom condo
Right, but by asking my question (I'm the OP) I did not mean assisted/independent living (which is generally regular condos or regular rental apartments, with extra services for seniors) - I meant a hotel-type building that has inexpensive (to buy or rent) rooms with bathrooms, no kitchen (though the residents would be allowed to keep a small fridge & small cooking appliances, which in my case would be only a hotplate, but many people would also want a microwave and coffeemaker, maybe toaster, maybe blender, but nothing that takes much space or requires an actual kitchen).

Old 10-24-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You do realize that every time you flush, some of that toilet water becomes aerosolized?

I think you are being a bit disingenuous about the kitchen, since you do want a fridge, a place to cook and a sink to clean up. And you know the bathroom is not sanitary enough for that.
Okay, I'd put a fridge in a corner of the room, and the hotplate on a shelf above the fridge, or somewhere else in the room where there is a space. In my own current condo, the pipe under the sink has been massively leaking, so I've been using the bathroom sink to wash veggies (no other food to wash) & add water to whatever I'll boil, and have been doing that for several years. Not getting the kitchen sink repaired is a matter of laziness, because its absence frankly does not inconvenience me at all.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:59 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Okay, I'd put a fridge in a corner of the room, and the hotplate on a shelf above the fridge, or somewhere else in the room where there is a space. In my own current condo, the pipe under the sink has been massively leaking, so I've been using the bathroom sink to wash veggies (no other food to wash) & add water to whatever I'll boil, and have been doing that for several years. Not getting the kitchen sink repaired is a matter of laziness, because its absence frankly does not inconvenience me at all.
Oh for crying out loud. Get the leaky sink fixed and live like a person.

Old 10-24-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Oh for crying out loud. Get the leaky sink fixed and live like a person.
I'm every bit a person . There are so many more important things involved in my personhood that I never seem to care to deal with a plumber. But I'll get to it some day... maybe when I'm ready to sell the condo?

Old 10-24-2022, 01:44 PM

7,522 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Quote:
I'm every bit a person . There are so many more important things involved in my personhood that I never seem to care to deal with a plumber. But I'll get to it some day... maybe when I'm ready to sell the condo?

If you pay enough you will not have to deal with butt crack guy.

Old 10-24-2022, 01:53 PM

7,522 posts, read 3,236,257 times
But seriously Elnrgby... You are not always at one condo. So, what happens if the pipes end up bursting because you did not make the repair. Are you creating a mold problem? I would think the liability that you may be creating for yourself and others is not worth being lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement