Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 03:07 PM

8,395 posts, read 4,418,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
But seriously Elnrgby... You are not always at one condo. So, what happens if the pipes end up bursting because you did not make the repair. Are you creating a mold problem? I would think the liability that you may be creating for yourself and others is not worth being lazy.
Nobody's pipes will burst because the pipe that drains my sink is loose at the pipe joint. And it can't actively leak if no water is running through it. What mold? No water has run through that pipe since 2015 :-). It would have to be a mold that avoids humidity :-).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 05:04 PM

13,079 posts, read 7,554,563 times
An empty water trap is not good. Allows sewer gases (methane & C02) to enter the room.
It's a fairly easy fix with the correct pipes and 1.5-2.5 inch adjustable wrenches, about 30 minutes if you have the tools.
Duct Tape can work as temporary fix.

Old 10-24-2022, 05:34 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,342,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
oh for crying out loud. Get the leaky sink fixed and live like a person.
+1 (lol)

Old 10-24-2022, 07:53 PM

7,684 posts, read 3,309,766 times
There are things that got left undone at my house due to the pandemic too (like I won't turn on my gas fireplace because it needs to be troubleshooted). At the beginning of the pandemic I called the guy my neighbor used and he never returned my call. A guy was going that installed the clear bra on my car took one panel off last summer; but, I cannot get him to put it back on --- he won't answer my texts. Things are lining up as I'm going to have to deal with my roof in the next couple of years as well as some other concrete work I need to get done early next year.

So, I'm going to have to step up to the plate and start dealing with it. I had foundation issues 2017-2018 and got very burnt out on the whole home maintenance thing.

I'd like to think I could downsize to a condo; but, I'm used to the house with the garage and all the storage and ability to have overnight guests, etc. I think more of my friends and family need to die off before I take that step. I need to get much older and be retired.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:38 PM

22,011 posts, read 13,047,113 times
If it were priced appropriately (cheaper than an apartment) and had a private outdoor balcony, I'd be all over that. One room, a microwave, and a mini-fridge are all I need.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If it were priced appropriately (cheaper than an apartment) and had a private outdoor balcony, I'd be all over that. One room, a microwave, and a mini-fridge are all I need.
I had that when I had a roommate in a gated community while I was in college in the Bay Area. I had a large bedroom with a walk in closet, a living room and a bathroom and shared the kitchen (I was hardly ever home and I mainly slept and showered there). It was a two level townhouse with living room on both levels and a deck/patio on both levels. My employer paid my books and tuition. My rent was $600 a month for rent and all utilities for 5 years.

Old 10-25-2022, 07:56 AM

22,011 posts, read 13,047,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Oh, and a hot plate. And a small freezer. But I don't mind if my bed is in my living room!

Old 10-25-2022, 04:00 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,592,562 times
Doesn't New York City (and maybe some other cities) have any residential hotels like The Barbizon Hotel and the Martha Washington hotel - both residential hotels - which I described in post #54?

(I haven't researched the topic on the web - maybe residential hotels are mostly a thing of the past - although I remember reading how famous people in the arts and celebrities would at times take up residence at a regular hotel in NYC)

"The Barbizon wasn’t the first women’s residential hotel in New York City — the Martha Washington opened in 1903. But the 1920s saw a spate of new ladies’ residences for the thousands of flappers flocking to the Big Apple in search of fame, fortune and fun. These modern women didn’t want to stay, as Bren put it, in a “dowdy old boarding house,” but they couldn’t rent an apartment on their own either."

https://nypost.com/2021/03/06/inside...-sylvia-plath/

Old 10-25-2022, 04:36 PM

8,395 posts, read 4,418,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Doesn't New York City (and maybe some other cities) have any residential hotels like The Barbizon Hotel and the Martha Washington hotel - both residential hotels - which I described in post #54?

(I haven't researched the topic on the web - maybe residential hotels are mostly a thing of the past - although I remember reading how famous people in the arts and celebrities would at times take up residence at a regular hotel in NYC)

"The Barbizon wasn’t the first women’s residential hotel in New York City — the Martha Washington opened in 1903. But the 1920s saw a spate of new ladies’ residences for the thousands of flappers flocking to the Big Apple in search of fame, fortune and fun. These modern women didn’t want to stay, as Bren put it, in a “dowdy old boarding house,” but they couldn’t rent an apartment on their own either."

https://nypost.com/2021/03/06/inside...-sylvia-plath/
Yes, the residential hotels are generally a thing of the past - but I think it would be a good idea to bring them back (as I said in the OP). There are many more single people, and particularly single seniors incl widows, than in the past. I think there would be a lot of demand for such hotels.

See my response about Martha Washington Hotel somewhere in this thread (it still existed in the late1980s/early 90s, not as a residential hotel but regular short-stay hotel for women, was very cheap - I stayed there several times, the longest for one week; it was at 29 E 29th St in lower Midtown East (NoMad); it has later been refurbished into a regular boutique hotel for everyone).

I don't know anything about the Barbizon. There is St Agnes Residence in the Upper West Side, which still exists as a residential hotel for women, but I think there is an age limit (it is oriented towards visiting students and young professional women moving into NYC who need a temporary place until they find a rental).

Old 10-25-2022, 09:40 PM

Cheap is now a thing of the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement