Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 01:17 PM

138 posts, read 154,165 times

Advertisements

We are coming up on our 50th wedding anniversary in January of 2025, and have been thinking of splurging on a Viking river cruise to celebrate it in style. We have never taken a cruise. We are not interested in the huge cruise lines that seem to cater to people who enjoy letting loose and partying it up. Not knocking that, but we are way beyond that now at this point in our lives (will be 69 & 70 when we do this - reasonable physical abilities and health - no scooters or walkers or canes needed so far- although we both have slowed down some from the pace we kept when we were in our 50's). Looking for a bit of luxury and service, with shore excursions dedicated to memorable experiences of an educational or cultural nature.

We have seen some enticing commercials on PBS about Viking Cruise Lines that seem to cater more to our interests. We have looked over some of the catalogs and the prices are high, but wondering if the accommodations and services included may justify the cost. Want to hear from those of you who have taken one of these cruises and can offer your opinions on the overall value, plus any tips, criticisms, etc. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 03:29 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
You might do well to post in the Travel section.

Old 04-08-2023, 03:34 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Take me!!

Old 04-08-2023, 03:53 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo_Gnome View Post
We are coming up on our 50th wedding anniversary in January of 2025, and have been thinking of splurging on a Viking river cruise to celebrate it in style. We have never taken a cruise. We are not interested in the huge cruise lines that seem to cater to people who enjoy letting loose and partying it up. Not knocking that, but we are way beyond that now at this point in our lives (will be 69 & 70 when we do this - reasonable physical abilities and health - no scooters or walkers or canes needed so far- although we both have slowed down some from the pace we kept when we were in our 50's). Looking for a bit of luxury and service, with shore excursions dedicated to memorable experiences of an educational or cultural nature.

We have seen some enticing commercials on PBS about Viking Cruise Lines that seem to cater more to our interests. We have looked over some of the catalogs and the prices are high, but wondering if the accommodations and services included may justify the cost. Want to hear from those of you who have taken one of these cruises and can offer your opinions on the overall value, plus any tips, criticisms, etc. Thanks in advance!
Viking river cruises are mostly in Europe although they did just start cruising the Mississippi in the US. A good number of their ships were based in Ukraine and Russia so IDK what the impact has been on those.

I am guessing you are asking about the US cruises - they tried to start about 6 months ago on the mississippi but more than a few cruises were cancelled because of low water levels last fall that caused them to incurre some damage - I don't kow if there have been many sailings yet - maybe just a couple.

There are 2 other cruise lines that travel the same area and they are both very similar cruises with small ships - American Queen River Cruises and American Cruise Lines - all the ships I believe on the others are smaller than the Viking ship. The others are also a little less costly but likely have close to the same level of service with still fairly new ships and more experience operating in the US - a few are paddlewheels also that try to be more of an old school riverboat.

We did an American Queen cruise (just after the Viking ship was grounded) - our cruise on the Mississippi was rerouted about 2 weeks before it was to start from Memphis to New Orleans to one from Louisville to Nashville due to the Mississippi water levels - would have prefered our original route. Ours was modern inside (believe launched in 2020) but the paddlewheel look outside (had hidden modern drive under) and there were less than 200 passengers on board. The food and service was excellent - the entertainment was decent and the shore tours were good for being very last minute changes. I would do it again.

Old 04-08-2023, 03:59 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Never been on one, but with a single exception everyone I have heard of has LOVED these cruises. Viking is ranked very high on all cruise line evaluations.

The lone dissatisfied comment was from a 30-something couple who was surprised to discover they were three decades younger than the other passengers! Obviously poor pre-trip research.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 04-08-2023 at 04:40 PM..

Old 04-08-2023, 04:06 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
I have some friends who have done several Viking cruises. They really like them. I know they drink a lot and Vikings’ are all-inclusive but I’m sure there’s more to it than that.

Don’t be so quick to dismiss all cruises as non-stop partying and debauchery. Different cruise lines have different vibes and cater to different clientele. Even the destination or time of year makes a difference. Heck, even the embarkation port can make a difference.

Old 04-08-2023, 04:34 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I did read that some European cruises had to be changed because of low river levels. I was looking at a Normandy river cruise.

Old 04-08-2023, 04:44 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo_Gnome View Post

Please post what you decided to do and which Viking cruise.
We have done several Princess cruises and i advice against those. I will never do another one. The ship is the main attraction, shopping malls, photos and meh entertainment, food and drinks. The ship anchors far away from the city, and you need transportation to the center and back and you get half a day.
The Vikings river cruise i think stop in the city center, which is so much better. There is one from Prague to Paris, which we have driven, and should make a nice cruise.
But now I have no interest in trans Atlantic flights, so looking for US cruises. Hope you find a nice one

Old 04-08-2023, 04:57 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Viking river cruises are mostly in Europe although they did just start cruising the Mississippi in the US. A good number of their ships were based in Ukraine and Russia so IDK what the impact has been on those.

I am guessing you are asking about the US cruises - they tried to start about 6 months ago on the mississippi but more than a few cruises were cancelled because of low water levels last fall that caused them to incurre some damage - I don't kow if there have been many sailings yet - maybe just a couple.

There are 2 other cruise lines that travel the same area and they are both very similar cruises with small ships - American Queen River Cruises and American Cruise Lines - all the ships I believe on the others are smaller than the Viking ship. The others are also a little less costly but likely have close to the same level of service with still fairly new ships and more experience operating in the US - a few are paddlewheels also that try to be more of an old school riverboat.

We did an American Queen cruise (just after the Viking ship was grounded) - our cruise on the Mississippi was rerouted about 2 weeks before it was to start from Memphis to New Orleans to one from Louisville to Nashville due to the Mississippi water levels - would have prefered our original route. Ours was modern inside (believe launched in 2020) but the paddlewheel look outside (had hidden modern drive under) and there were less than 200 passengers on board. The food and service was excellent - the entertainment was decent and the shore tours were good for being very last minute changes. I would do it again.
Thanks for sharing your experience on Amercian Queen. I am considering them for an Alaskan cruise in 2024. Their Queen Victory with less than 200 passengers is small enough to navigate some less traveled areas closer to wildlife and glaciers, stop in smaller ports, and offer expeditions such as kayaking but large enough to provide amenities. My sister wants to go with me but would be bored with a smaller expedition ship while I do not care to go on a large cruise ship. The American Queen cruiseline might be a nice compromise although more expensive.

Old 04-08-2023, 09:10 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,035,841 times
Years back I looked into Vikings European river cruises and someone told me that in Europe smoking was permitted almost everywhere on the ship. I stopped looking at them after hearing that, I have asthma and cannot tolerate smoke. Maybe things have changed, been a while.

We've taken one cruise from Vancouver north to Alaska, BIG ship. We are not doing another cruise, not our style but very glad to have seen glaciers from the water and loved Alaska by land (we rented an RV and traveled). When the cruise ship docked in Seward we got on the sunset train to Anchorage and that was a real highlight. I talked to a couple on the train who were on a much smaller ship (more expensive) and all their new camera equipment was stolen while they were on the ship. They were mighty upset but also loved the train.

We also loved Vancouver, spent 3 days there before boarding cruise ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement