Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 08:16 AM

679 posts, read 877,108 times

Advertisements

I live in a 55+ manufactured home community and love it. We couldn’t afford a stick built home in the locations we wanted. Our lot rent is high, but much less than taxes and insurance would be on a sticks and brick house. I’ve been here less than a year but have already made so many friends. After all, everyone is from somewhere else and moved here when they were older.

I joke that there must be something in the water since I’ve met so many active, healthy people in their 80’s. I think the social interaction and opportunities for physical activity (pickleball, water aerobics, walking group, gym) make it easy to stay healthy.

The park is owned by Sun Communities. They own parks all over the country so are unlikely to sell. The HOA has a clause on the maximum the lot rent can increase per year so no surprises there either.

It’s not perfect, but then nothing is. OP, don’t let outmoded ideas on manufactured homes and parks sway your opinion on what is right for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 11:35 AM

2,859 posts, read 1,803,509 times
Moving this Thread to today....

Rhetorical question comes to mind, warning ?.!

Moved into a modular home December, 2018, pay for land, No amenities, well sometimes when snow has fallen, occasionally in the winter, after several days it will be plowed.

2023, neighbor informed me rent will go up $ 200. a month ! We did have a $ 50. a month increase 2 years ago. Rent has almost Doubled in almost 5 years !

? Can the owners raise rent however much they want; 64 homes, 55+ community. It's shaped like a horseshoe, homes on the outside, homes in the middle. There's also manufactured homes nearby they own, their rent will also rise.

Living on the Olympic Peninsula, Washington state.

Thanks for reading, neighbor who informed me in shock, just retired a few months ago, in her 70's.

Old 08-06-2023, 11:50 AM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Moving this Thread to today....

Rhetorical question comes to mind, warning ?.!

Moved into a modular home December, 2018, pay for land, No amenities, well sometimes when snow has fallen, occasionally in the winter, after several days it will be plowed.

2023, neighbor informed me rent will go up $ 200. a month ! We did have a $ 50. a month increase 2 years ago. Rent has almost Doubled in almost 5 years !

? Can the owners raise rent however much they want; 64 homes, 55+ community. It's shaped like a horseshoe, homes on the outside, homes in the middle. There's also manufactured homes nearby they own, their rent will also rise.

Living on the Olympic Peninsula, Washington state.

Thanks for reading, neighbor who informed me in shock, just retired a few months ago, in her 70's.
Check your contract, although most mobile parks can raise rent as much as they want and anytime they want.

As I said upthread, the problem with trailer parks is the park part. Better to have your home on land you own, or, in a co-op park where the tenants as a group own the land.

But, check your contract.

Old 08-06-2023, 12:02 PM

5,966 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Hi all, I posted part of this in the Real Estate forum but want some advice so here is a crossover, if that's allowed.

My elderly husband is in decline (he's 81, I'm 68) and in the near future we may be looking to sell our current home and make significant changes.

My dilemma is this: should I purchase a beautifully appointed, so-called "tiny house" (they used to be called "mobile homes, lol) in an over-55 community with a $600 per month rental fee or a "real house" in a regular neighborhood? The price differential for the home would be around $150k, which could be otherwise invested. Still, there is that rental fee.

The MH's are all around 1100 square feet with a 3/2 layout, large bathrooms and beautiful kitchens. The park is being rebuilt after an arson fire three years ago to a very high standard (including a pool!). If the homes weren't so nice I wouldn't consider them but a stick built house which is just as nice, to me anyway, will cost a minimum of $150k more.

I'm talking myself into the MH but don't want to regret it down the line.

Thanks in advance.
I realize that this thread is several months old, but it has been revived.

Re your question, here is my suggestion: Find a modern manufactured home (often called a "double-wide") on a lot in a mobile home park in which YOU OWN THE LAND. This way, you get a deed to the property, and NO ONE can raise your lot rent because YOU DON'T PAY LOT RENT. Instead, you pay property taxes to the county just like all other homeowners.

There will be a Homeowner's Association just like with stick-built houses. You will pay an HOA fee just like any other Homeowner's Association, but the property owners determine what amount that fee is, not some corporate headquarters in a different state.

This way, you are protected against someone raising your lot rent because YOU own the land. Yes, you may have to look around to find a place like this, but I owned such a place in central Florida about twenty-some years ago as a second home. The HOA fees were EXTREMELY low. The community had a swimming pool and recreation center with numerous activities. Oh, and when I sold it a couple of years later, I made a PROFIT. It's worth looking around to find.

Old 08-06-2023, 03:44 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
While there are, no doubt, certain economical differences, to say nothing of something that is probably mass produced with cheaper construction, I would put it down to what you want....and safety.

Safety first. Mobile homes are rather known to be great toys in tornadoes and they might burn more quickly than a regular house.

What do you want? My Brother tried to get me into a mobile home, can't and won't figure his reasoning on that one, but it was, for me, essentially a quick answer that wouldn't answer my dream. The Spanish woodlands Sorceress I am, I wanted something along the lines of a Keep. How much of this hacienda is that is debatable but it is easier to imagine it as such as oppose to what a mobile home would be.

This wildfire evacuation alert has proven on of the wonders of the design. I have all the cats locked up in the bedroom citadel, so lots of room for them while I know where everyone is. Part of the citadel design is a mudroom with a path to my shower, so I have multiple door access to them while still keeping them locked up behind doors.

But what's a mobile home? The simplest, straightest path from A to B. What is it designed for and can it handle any other life's function that Fate tosses at us such as guest rooms?

If what we get is to be our last home, then what dreams do we want to put into place?

Old 08-06-2023, 04:41 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
While there are, no doubt, certain economical differences, to say nothing of something that is probably mass produced with cheaper construction, I would put it down to what you want....and safety.

Safety first. Mobile homes are rather known to be great toys in tornadoes and they might burn more quickly than a regular house.

What do you want? My Brother tried to get me into a mobile home, can't and won't figure his reasoning on that one, but it was, for me, essentially a quick answer that wouldn't answer my dream. The Spanish woodlands Sorceress I am, I wanted something along the lines of a Keep. How much of this hacienda is that is debatable but it is easier to imagine it as such as oppose to what a mobile home would be.

This wildfire evacuation alert has proven on of the wonders of the design. I have all the cats locked up in the bedroom citadel, so lots of room for them while I know where everyone is. Part of the citadel design is a mudroom with a path to my shower, so I have multiple door access to them while still keeping them locked up behind doors.

But what's a mobile home? The simplest, straightest path from A to B. What is it designed for and can it handle any other life's function that Fate tosses at us such as guest rooms?

If what we get is to be our last home, then what dreams do we want to put into place?
What does most of this have to do with a mobile/manufactured home? No reason why a stick built house layout can't be almost if not the same. It simply was constructed on top of its foundation instead of moved there.

Old 08-06-2023, 05:38 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What does most of this have to do with a mobile/manufactured home? No reason why a stick built house layout can't be almost if not the same. It simply was constructed on top of its foundation instead of moved there.
Well, the topic IS Mobile Home or Stick Built and hence, stick built does have a place in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement