Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 02:58 PM

1,462 posts, read 669,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Telephone calls, remember one person at a designated time, would call a person, ring a certain number of times, hang up...With modern technology, couldn't one text, once a week, "Above ground " or something.
Ha! Love the text: "above ground." I see that dark humor is shared by our Washington state friend as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 03:14 PM

18,736 posts, read 33,508,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
... What the heck do you say to each other if you talk every day? Hey, you still alive? LOL.

I just message my friend every day and say "Good morning on ____(day). Sometimes she responds sometimes she doesn't. No need to talk about stuff.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-25-2023 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Old 06-25-2023, 03:53 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,859,867 times
Quote:
Was the aunt ill or infirm in any way when she fell, though? At what age does one implement the daily phone call bit?

I mean, it's conceivable that I could slip and fall and whack my head and be dead in a tub, but I certainly don't expect to get a phone call from my daughter every day. I'm not infirm or prone to falling...yet. What the heck do you say to each other if you talk every day? Hey, you still alive? LOL.

I didn't call MY mother every day even when she was 91, but two brothers lived in the house with her, so it wasn't really necessary.

I can see if someone is very elderly/and or a health issue and lives alone having a daily checkin.
You could just make a deal to text her "Good morning" every day, and she would agree to call you if she doesn't get the text by certain time.

eta: oops someone already posted texting.

Old 06-25-2023, 04:05 PM

3,042 posts, read 7,960,708 times
After my wife passed the police asked me if I was alone and recommended a lock box's on front entry way with programable key pad with 4 digit pass word which is added to your 911 system which will be given to authorized parties.
My daughter has my cell phone along side her bed unlocked since they turn there I pad off.Cost is $15.00 per month,I have used it once.I am 90.

Old 06-25-2023, 04:29 PM

88,905 posts, read 85,409,710 times
Yes, texting is a good idea, but it has to go along with making a pre-arranged agreement that "if you don't hear from me, something is wrong".

I was just thinking of a current situation such as my own where I don't talk to my kid every day, she is not going to think it odd. A person at a certain stage of life or in a certain condition should probably have that prearranged situation.

Thinking of people I know who were found dead because they did not appear when expected.

Two years ago an old friend, 55 years old, did not show up to the apartment upstairs from hers, where she took care of her neighbor's children while the mother was at work. She was dead on her couch, TV on, Uber Eats delivery from the night before outside on the porch. No spouse or children. If she wasn't supposed to work that day, she might not have been found right away.

In another case, a friend's mother didn't drive, and her friend took her to her doctor's appointments. The friend showed up to take her to the doctor, no answer. She got the police and the landlord, and the friend's mother was found dead in her bed, probably for a day or two. She was 84, but she was planning to fly to see her children in a few days. Daughter had spoken with her a couple of days before.

Old 06-25-2023, 04:47 PM

1,462 posts, read 669,607 times
[quote=DanBev;65466536]After my wife passed the police asked me if I was alone and recommended a lock box's on front entry way with programable key pad with 4 digit pass word which is added to your 911 system which will be given to authorized parties.
My daughter has my cell phone along side her bed unlocked since they turn there I pad off.Cost is $15.00 per month,I have used it once.I am 90.[/QUOTE

Thanks for posting Dan. Good on you for taking the advice of the police.

Old 06-25-2023, 05:50 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,155,449 times
Standard dress outside the house is one thing for I have been stung twice by scorpions already. When I am out of clothes that carry the house keys, I always have a house key around my neck, insurance against that endless fear of being on the wrong side of a locked door.

Carrying around the cell phone everywhere may be false insurance due to the lousy reception out here. If I ever really step seriously outside the house foot print what I should have is......a .22 auto with lots of preloaded magazines to be able to fire off lots of woodswoman distress signals.

Three things around the house that I have a lot of are flashlights, fire extinguishers, and knives. Flashlights so I know where they are in case the lights go out. Fire extinguishers in nearly every room. As far as knives go, this is Texas. I carry at least 3 when I am in work clothes; it is just the way it is. In the house, there are enough things that show up anywhere that call for a knife, even if opening up a lancelet box and I have plenty of knives, from dive to buck to pocket to Leatherman to "survival" to whatever not to have one in every room of the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Why are you worried about being tracked? Are you going out to commit crimes? Burying bodies in the woods?
I live my life so if asked, I can freely admit to what I did, where I went, where I am going now.........but I would rather not have everyone know, be wondering, be making their own conclusions.

For example, say they were tracking me the times when I went into the adult bookstore. What might they assume? Whatever the assumed, it probably would not be that I was there for a copy of Dance Magazine.....which given adult bookstores in their non adult section, have great odds of having at least one copy of everything.

Quote:
Yes, texting is a good idea, but it has to go along with making a pre-arranged agreement that "if you don't hear from me, something is wrong".

I was just thinking of a current situation such as my own where I don't talk to my kid every day, she is not going to think it odd. A person at a certain stage of life or in a certain condition should probably have that prearranged situation.

Thinking of people I know who were found dead because they did not appear when expected.

Two years ago an old friend, 55 years old, did not show up to the apartment upstairs from hers, where she took care of her neighbor's children while the mother was at work. She was dead on her couch, TV on, Uber Eats delivery from the night before outside on the porch. No spouse or children. If she wasn't supposed to work that day, she might not have been found right away.

In another case, a friend's mother didn't drive, and her friend took her to her doctor's appointments. The friend showed up to take her to the doctor, no answer. She got the police and the landlord, and the friend's mother was found dead in her bed, probably for a day or two. She was 84, but she was planning to fly to see her children in a few days. Daughter had spoken with her a couple of days before.
I have 5 minders that I check in with 2-4 times a day. When I get up, when I get to the office, when I leave the office, the dusk check.

This didn't originate by being old but rather when I was a Provost Marshal reading crime case histories and it occurred to me of how long could I be missing before they started looking for me. So I started standards, light then, of checking in regularly.

GRANTED, at the time, I was highly motivated by an article on Jaclyn Smith that said she called her Father every night.

When Mom was alive and alone, I called her each morning and each evening, a continuance of the lessons learned long ago. It was because of that, one morning, that I found out she had a stroke and was able to get people rolling to her house, an hour away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Your Momma sounds like a real character. Tells it like it is. Is she from the Texas Hill Country, too?
If I get to heaven early, I am sure she is going to look at me and say, "Tripped over a cat, huh?"......and my Dad? "Here, take some leashes.".

We are a military family but upon being stationed to Texas again, Dad saw how great it was and made our residence in Henry B. Gonzales district......and we have been residents ever since.

As to the Hill Country, rather yes.....but not to the extreme I've taken it, a ranch and house away from it all but on the other hand, we both believed in rescuing animals, from her I learned, but then again, not to the extent I have taken it, but on the otherwise, the family does have a history of a cat or dog, here and there, recognizing us as a place to move in with.

What was it like when she was around? Hence, the story of BEAR. Bear is a 3 foot high or so stuffed Grizzly Bear that I bought, showed Mom since she relished in my love of stuffed animals.......and Mom kidnapped him. She sat BEAR on a sofa in her living room and coming out of her bedroom each morning, after Dad was gone, seeing BEAR's head from behind on the sofa, gave her reassurance that she was not alone in the house. Mom and her friends would dress up BEAR in this or that tee for the holiday. When Mom moved on, BEAR eventually returned to me, as did other stuffed animals, and sits in my bedroom on the camphor and other chests at my bedroom windows, looking out on the forest.

TO WHICH IN INTEREST OF THE SUBJECT OF THE THREAD, one thing that is convenient about living alone....of humans that is....is that you can live your internal life as you darn well please.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-25-2023 at 06:13 PM..

Old 06-25-2023, 07:02 PM

160 posts, read 433,877 times
This is a great Thread. I live alone. I have to army crawl underneath my house to turn the water on and off in winter and summer. I always think this would be the worst place to have a heart attack… would never be found. I like to go into my hot tub at 11 o’clock at night under the stars….usually naked…. sometimes I think this would be a really horrible time and place to have a heart attack or medical issue as well.

Old 06-25-2023, 07:15 PM

3,109 posts, read 3,389,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.wilson View Post
This is a great Thread. I live alone. I have to army crawl underneath my house to turn the water on and off in winter and summer. I always think this would be the worst place to have a heart attack… would never be found. I like to go into my hot tub at 11 o’clock at night under the stars….usually naked…. sometimes I think this would be a really horrible time and place to have a heart attack or medical issue as well.
Maybe find a plumber so you don't have to do this. Have a valve near the water meter.

Didn't see any post where modifications could be made to make it easier. Few or no stairs. An assist to get in & out of tub, sit on toilet.

Old 06-25-2023, 07:18 PM

24,839 posts, read 11,261,857 times
Quote:
Was the aunt ill or infirm in any way when she fell, though? At what age does one implement the daily phone call bit?

I mean, it's conceivable that I could slip and fall and whack my head and be dead in a tub, but I certainly don't expect to get a phone call from my daughter every day. I'm not infirm or prone to falling...yet. What the heck do you say to each other if you talk every day? Hey, you still alive? LOL.

I didn't call MY mother every day even when she was 91, but two brothers lived in the house with her, so it wasn't really necessary.

I can see if someone is very elderly/and or a health issue and lives alone having a daily checkin.
At the age you care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement