Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 07:16 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,524 posts, read 6,337,135 times

Advertisements

Today was interesting. One moment I was standing on the south porch stoop merrily yanking Wood Vines off the brick when one of them snatched me by the ankle and tripped me. As I fell backwards, I tried to catch myself, but the stoop is not that deep. As I went airborne I somehow managed to twist like a cat before I face planted in the yard. Luckily, I missed the brick sidewalk.

Im okay. I have big bruise on my knee and a "scratch" from my hairline to the end of my nose. As I lay there I couldnt help but wonder just how long it would take for someone to find me before a possum or a racoon ate me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 07:19 PM

6,634 posts, read 7,369,018 times
Yes this is a problem that could happen to anyone . Best to keep your cell phone in your pocket at all times.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:52 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,115,701 times
Good news that you weren’t seriously hurt!

I think living alone is damn inconvenient because it’s always my turn to put gas in the car and take out the trash.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:17 PM

16,131 posts, read 10,808,224 times
I fell in my fishpond the first day that I was in possession of my house. It was so slick that I couldn't get out, I cut my forehead and scratched my glasses. I had my cell phone in my pocket, but it was drenched and wouldn't work. I finally lumbered out like a walrus. I was actually happy to be alone so no one would see me. The formal closing was the next day and I showed up with a black eye, cut over my eye, and a gouge on my glasses. I threatened to fill in the pond and they said I couldn't because the house was appraised with the pond. I haven't fallen in since.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:51 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,524 posts, read 6,337,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I fell in my fishpond the first day that I was in possession of my house. It was so slick that I couldn't get out, I cut my forehead and scratched my glasses. I had my cell phone in my pocket, but it was drenched and wouldn't work. I finally lumbered out like a walrus. I was actually happy to be alone so no one would see me. The formal closing was the next day and I showed up with a black eye, cut over my eye, and a gouge on my glasses. I threatened to fill in the pond and they said I couldn't because the house was appraised with the pond. I haven't fallen in since.

Not quite a black eye but I just checked and I have a bruise under my eye. I have a fishpond too. Haven't fallen in. Yet. Im curious. How did you manage to fall in. Im always very cautious when I get close to the edge stones on mine.

JMO. You missed a good opportunity to tell a fish story. How a giant fish attacked you and dragged you in the pond. Im working on my fish story. I have to go to the post office tomorrow.

And Ive tried carrying the cell phone. It keeps falling out of my pocket. Probably would have landed on it anyways.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:56 PM

44,661 posts, read 61,736,984 times
Suggest you get one of these. Help I've fallen and can't get up device.
https://www.lifealert.com/

Old 06-23-2023, 10:30 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,007,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Today was interesting. One moment I was standing on the south porch stoop merrily yanking Wood Vines off the brick when one of them snatched me by the ankle and tripped me. As I fell backwards, I tried to catch myself, but the stoop is not that deep. As I went airborne I somehow managed to twist like a cat before I face planted in the yard. Luckily, I missed the brick sidewalk.

Im okay. I have big bruise on my knee and a "scratch" from my hairline to the end of my nose. As I lay there I couldnt help but wonder just how long it would take for someone to find me before a possum or a racoon ate me.
A 'possum would just hiss at you. On the other hand, I saw a video the other day of a woman who has a raccoon living IN. HER. HOUSE.

Mental illness is rampant in this country...

Old 06-23-2023, 10:42 PM

16,131 posts, read 10,808,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Not quite a black eye but I just checked and I have a bruise under my eye. I have a fishpond too. Haven't fallen in. Yet. Im curious. How did you manage to fall in. Im always very cautious when I get close to the edge stones on mine.

JMO. You missed a good opportunity to tell a fish story. How a giant fish attacked you and dragged you in the pond. Im working on my fish story. I have to go to the post office tomorrow.

And Ive tried carrying the cell phone. It keeps falling out of my pocket. Probably would have landed on it anyways.
That day was my first encounter with the pond, and I needed to clean the filter. I slipped on loose rocks. I was up close and personal with a couple Koi fish. I do keep my cell phone with me now.

Old 06-23-2023, 11:56 PM

1,205 posts, read 939,122 times
I know it’s not a perfect solution, but I’ve also gotten very conscious of always carrying my cell phone with me. I live in snow country, and the garage is detached. In the winter when going to the garage (freezer, exercise machines and of course, the car) my cell phone is in my pocket. I read an awful story a few years ago about two elderly sisters who froze to death after falling between their car and their home. In my home there’s an echo that would make an emergency call. Of course if you’re unconscious or break the phone you’re out of luck but a cell phone is a reasonable precaution. For another precaution the walkway to the garage was paved a year after moving in, and a sturdy handrail added. In really icy weather I get out a walker left over from a knee replacement, which is great for stability when walking over a slippery sidewalk.

Regarding usual household chores, for the most part, I actually find it easier to just deal with repairs and maintenance by myself than having to consult a second person on everything. I have a housemate six months of the year (not winter), and while the company is wonderful, you get used to just doing things yourself.

Old 06-24-2023, 05:42 AM

8,800 posts, read 5,099,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
A 'possum would just hiss at you. On the other hand, I saw a video the other day of a woman who has a raccoon living IN. HER. HOUSE.

Mental illness is rampant in this country...
I knew someone years ago, who had a pet skunk, living in her house....now that is better then a guard dog lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement