Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 02:04 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,203,545 times

Advertisements

I have been known to trip on flat pavement . . . I think really it is because I am not very flexible and don't consistently pick my feet up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2023, 02:20 PM

22,148 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I can tolerate maybe a 100yds of spouse holding my arm but she is a slower walker and unbalances my gait, ultimately causing sciatica/leg joints pain.
yes, that's what i thought when i read that, too. so holding on to someone else then you both fall

my elderly mother did this walking up and down the stairs in their split level home with my father also elderly. while they were both alive and while they were both still living in their own home. Short "half-flights of stairs" in the home and she had started to fall (had fallen multiple times) and every time this was a trip to the emergency room for observation. so they decided to have her hold on to him for support. Sure enough next time she fell on the steps, they both took a fall. shortly after that my dad was hospitalized for something else then never did come home, he just had one thing after another until he passed away in the hospital. I think the last thing was a UTI. They said basically he just wore out, but he was alert and had his wits about him until the end, my brother had visited him that same day in the hospital coming home from work and they chatted.

my mom who had far more health issues we thought would go first, but nope it was dad. she couldn't live in their house alone, she got down to 85 pounds would not eat, no one to look after her, stayed with my brother for awhile, he saw right away that wouldn't work, so she want to a nursing home and lasted a few more years, but had dementia probably the final 8 years of her life.

i learned working in health care that basically everyone over the age of 60 is a fall risk. So i took up qi gong (for other reasons too) because it improves balance and strengthens the core. And i started walking every day since i kept hearing walking is the best exercise. I also added a shiko movement which i do daily and that improves my balance and strengthens core also. It is an exercise used by sumo wrestlers, but is also used in rehab and physical therapy.

i'm not really going to worry about. whatever happens happens.
we all reach a point where the decisions are out of our hands, and are made by other people.
so my goal is to delay that for as long as possible. but one day it is going to happen.

here is a link to one of my favorite qi gong routines, i like the monk doing this out in the snow and i like the music too.
it is 20 minutes. and like others on the thread have mentioned no way am i driving to a gym, i want something i can do right when i get up in the morning . otherwise i find excuses for not doing it all

https://youtu.be/UpN3AcXLSSk?t=23

Old 08-04-2023, 02:41 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Sure is a rude awakening, isn't it! You can do everything "right" and still end up with inherited arthritis and joint replacements that are limiting. Every time some person facing retirement asks about it, I always say "do your adventures right away in case you can't later on". I'm glad we did our Europe trips a few years ago as the cobblestones were something to watch. Yes, can't walk around with your head in the air looking up! Too easy to trip.

Don't wear flip-flops either, only on the beach. Too easy to get caught on something. We have cobblestone-like pavers in our driveway and I tripped on them twice and went down playing ping-pong in flip-flops. Several hobbies I had planned for in retirement, now are out of the question for various physical reasons. Still floundering on that account.

I am just really, really careful when walking around, even in the house. I do balance exercises every morning plus other daily structured exercise but I don't know what else one can do. I quit riding the local bus because the steps are way too steep and they take off while you're still getting on. Taxis only. I take DH's arm whenever something is iffy---he's still very agile. But when he's not.....yikes.

This is timely since we just found out his older brother (76) has dementia like both their parents did. Oh man....going into a care home. Heart-breaking. I know it's genetic so I'm worried for DH.

And yes, travel insurance! I'm dreading that right now, planning for our SoCal trip this fall.

Old 08-04-2023, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 613 times
Default Which nursing home

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
My medical procedures will be covered by Medicare + Blue Cross/Blue Shield supplement (and, when I travel, by travel insurance), or I won't have them. For nursing home, I'll go to Thailand, at $2k per month all-inclusive. That's it, a straight-forward plan.
Hi there,
I was thinking I would go to Thailand after retirement and stay in the nursing homes when needed (no children). Still have decades to go, I think. I have not done research but I heard that quality facilities are lacking. Since you seemed certain that you would go to Thailand-which nursing homes are you thinking? I heard there are very few quality nursing homes in Thailand, let alone any nursing homes. Also, are you thinking to be outside of Bangkok? Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:08 PM

774 posts, read 1,047,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Well, for the first time ever we are taking walking sticks (fold up kind) to Europe on vacation. We recently tried them out on local mountain trails and I couldn’t believe the difference they made in my feeling of security, and I have no balance issues.

Cobblestones are especially my nemesis. I have learned to walk with my arm through DH’s on many rural or city walks as I get involved with looking around. One misstep off a curb or a trip on a raised sidewalk could really mean disaster. We always buy travel insurance now when we never thought to do so before.
When we were leaving the first restaurant we went to after my first total knee replacement, my wife tripped and started to fall. I tried to stop her fall but we both went down hard on the sidewalk. Of course, I landed on my surgically repaired knee, split the scar wide open, and had to go to the emergency room to get stitched up.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:16 PM

11,407 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
When we were leaving the first restaurant we went to after my first total knee replacement, my wife tripped and started to fall. I tried to stop her fall but we both went down hard on the sidewalk. Of course, I landed on my surgically repaired knee, split the scar wide open, and had to go to the emergency room to get stitched up.
Ouch! It sucks when you body is no longer 21 but your brain still is.

Old 08-04-2023, 04:55 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Life bites -

An old friend recently retired, moved back to his home town, bought a nice home, and settled down for the duration.
Then was found by a neighbor, unconscious at the foot of his stairs.
Diagnosed with COVID-19, spent weeks in ICU + racked up a huge medical bill.
Medically induced bankruptcy.
Back to work.
Then he broke his leg.
Out of work... out of cash ... out of luck.
Oi !

Old 08-04-2023, 06:00 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Since taking 3 bad falls between the ages of 61-65 I have learned to slow down and look down when I am walking. I haven’t fallen since and it’s been 4 years. I walk my dogs daily and always have at least 10k steps at the end of the day.

Old 08-04-2023, 06:07 PM

7,744 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
My medical procedures will be covered by Medicare + Blue Cross/Blue Shield supplement (and, when I travel, by travel insurance), or I won't have them. For nursing home, I'll go to Thailand, at $2k per month all-inclusive. That's it, a straight-forward plan.
Interesting.

Old 08-04-2023, 06:10 PM

7,744 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBeachin View Post
I'm with Igor. If it gets to the point where I have to go into a nursing home, just let me go. That's 0 quality of life.
Prior to a nursing home, there is Assisted Living. It seems to be reasonable - you live in your own small dorm-style apartment, the staff clean it & wash you linens, there is a communal dining room with menus & table service, there are activities, you can come & go as you please, there is a shuttle, and many still drive their own cars.

That seems reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement