Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 03:46 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am in denial. It won't end well.

For some reason, Doctors hate heart attacks. I figure that is the best way to go over dementia or a nursing home. I would eat a bad diet to push for one, but I am likely to have a stroke instead.

OK, I'll bite: Why do you think you're going to have a stroke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 06:50 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Life can change in the blink of an eye. Throughout my life I have had my share of injuries; most didn't require anything more than time and a little therapy; I was almost always better within two to six months. Then last year right before my 70th birthday, I fell off my bike (a malfunction) and broke my patella (kneecap). It was a very bad injury, hurt the other knee as well. It also caused a cascade of other issues: pulmonary embolism, lung infection and diabetic ketoacidosis. Was in the hospital for several weeks while they dealt with these issues before I could even address the broken kneecap. It has been a long, very difficult year while I have tried to get myself back to some kind of normal. Most of my other health issues are mostly under control; however the knee still lacks strength and range of motion and often hurts and feels "tight." I also have suffered some nerve damage which affects my feet to make matters worse.

While I am grateful to be alive at this point, it is depressing because up until the accident I was a dancer who loved long walks, exercise and riding my bike daily. Can do very little of any of that now. Sometimes no matter how careful you are something happens out of the blue, so we all just need to enjoy our life the best we can. For the record, I am working very hard to be as healthy and strong as possible to be able to enjoy whatever I have left of my life.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:11 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
@gypsychic - All the best! As mentioned above, I too had a bad biking accident, though not nearly as bad as yours. So, have an appreciation of what you went through at one level. Like you said, the life can change in the blink of an eye.

I hope you will be able to pick up your health and mobility soon to get strong and healthy. Best!

Old 08-08-2023, 06:52 AM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
You could add some weight training to your routine which will keep your muscles and your bones strong. And not only maintain, but actually increase your strength. I firmly believe that you can keep getting stronger no matter how old you become, barring any illnesses and such.
I do. I do a lot of weights AND cardio.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-08-2023, 09:36 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
AARP had a recent article about this. The sideways fall, the backward fall, etc.:

https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-...20your%20thigh.
Thanks for this.

I’ve slipped on ice a handful of times walking down our hillside streets in winter. Each time I’ve fell backwards and caught myself with both hands behind my body without incident.
Dumb luck, perhaps. With advancing age the chances for a break will increase, no doubt.
Best to be extra cautious.

Old 08-08-2023, 10:03 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
All true, but we can take some actions to decrease the likelihood of serious injury from a fall, or to be more able to take an evasive action, by constantly working on our strength and fitness.

I know plenty of 80-somethings that are still strong and active. Even so eventually there will come a time when they too will have to forgo activities like hiking rough trails or biking. Point is that most people can forestall that time for years by moderate exercise and good nutrition.

Now that I am retired I am in the best physical condition of my adult life. Moving from sitting in front of a computer screen 10 hours a day fueled by caffeine to being physically active and having the time to regularly exercise has made a huge difference.
Yes, my neighbor, a retired doctor, walked our hilly neighborhood every morning, well into his 90's. We passed each other one day and he mocked me, telling me I was taking the easy route. He just passed away at 98 after spending the last few months at a nursing home, from a fall.

Old 08-08-2023, 12:35 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I do. I do a lot of weights AND cardio.

Old 08-08-2023, 03:55 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,380,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My husband had very good health until about age 80. We'd planned another trip back to the UK before covid and had to cancel it--that was the first time we ever bought travel insurance. (Insurance would not cover the cancellation even though they had told us they would cover an epidemic!!!!!!!! Anyway I got my money back through my credit card. Too stressful to fight the travel insurance while struggling to learn about this new monster called covid.)

Near the end of covid, husband had a really bad stroke. It affected the left side of his body, including his left eye. I think it took away his will to live as he was always proud of his athetic abilities and that he never had to take pills for anything. The stroke took away his ability to drive too and he was one of those car men.

After the stroke it was downhill all the way because he refused the dr's orders to get out and exercise. He would barely leave the house and got weaker and weaker. He would lie in bed most of the day.

A few months ago he ended up in a nursing home, which he hated, and now he is dead. I think I'm trying to emphasize the importance of exercise. I had been in PT when I had to stop due to the time it took to deal with nursing home issues and driving out there to visit him. I plan to start the PT again and I want to learn some strength building exercises.

I want to learn balance and to gain strength so that, hopefully, I can possibly put off getting osteoarthritis. It's already started in my left wrist. I don't want a knee replacement or any other scary stuff. I hardly know any exercises and can only hope to learn some and to achieve the self discipline to DO the exercises on my own at home. I want to go to the Y and swim too.

I think exercise and getting enough protein in our diets could be key. Yet there will still come a time when nothing we do will be enough.
I would check at the local senior center or county recreation facilities -- it is a bit daunting at first to drag yourself in for the first time but I prefer the senior fitness classes -- they have weight training, zumba gold, yoga and jazzercise just to name a few. After trying it several times I actually started enjoying it and looked forward to the outing and just seeing some other women -- sort of anchored my day. To this I add trying to walk every single day -- I aim for 10,000 steps. Again, I don't always feel like going but then I remember that there are many, many people who sit in a wheelchair or lie in a nursing home and would give ANYTHING for the joy of a one hour walk. So that motivates me.

I also started following some senior fitness people on Instagram -- they post exercises and motivational sayings -- sometimes that helps me get fired up to exercise. And of course my doctor is pleased -- my weight and blood pressure are good -- my balance could use some work tho.

Old 08-09-2023, 02:18 AM

366 posts, read 214,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am actually pondering trying to practice my falls.

Putting your arms out to catch your fall is a sure prescription for jamming your wrists or worse.

I have found that falling on my side and hitting shoulder first is the best way to fall. I am thinking maybe I can practicing from the stop step of a swimming pool or maybe putting down a couple of mattresses, to see if I can kind of get myself to turn sideways if I am falling forwards or backwards.....
This is wise advice.
There is lots of Youtube video's out there.

I would add practice getting up also.

Old 08-10-2023, 05:48 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I play hard while able. (As do many here on C-D)

Someday (maybe today) I will no longer be able.
This is how I approach my life today. I am very active because I am aware that someday I won't be able to do these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement