Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 11:07 AM

844 posts, read 420,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I've been having a lot of work nightmares. I clearly do not wish to be working.
I still have nightmares about college/ graduate school after 40 years, like you I am not going back!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 11:16 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I have nightmares that I didn't finish high school because I forgot to go to math and science class.

Lately I have bad dreams about tech writing (which I did for two years), that I don't know what to do and am useless.

The main nightmares are about my psych nursing jobs- violence, lack of teamwork, isolation, forget to do my patient checks.

I really am not meant to be employed again!

Old 08-29-2023, 11:58 AM

844 posts, read 420,826 times
Nah...it's just your subconscious dealing with anxieties. You'll be OK

Old 08-30-2023, 09:24 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
You'd think there would be someone locally willing to pay cash decently for you to come in and help out a little each day. Good help is hard to find.

We were paying a lady to help BIL good wages for about 6 hours a day but this is bigger city and she had a lot of work choices.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:54 AM

There are helpers for dementia, etc. But not for RN skilled work.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:06 AM

746 posts, read 496,045 times
Quote:
There are helpers for dementia, etc. But not for RN skilled work.
Just an idea: My line of work was sort of similar to yours. It was supportive living for clients who were departing the Mental Institutions. They departed to subsidized housing. All were diagnosed with many psychiatric disorders, most had extesive criminal histories but were also Regional Center Clients so had extra money due to the various levels of retardation. All clients had staff from 3 hrs a day+. Worst ones were very high functioning and had 24/7 staff. This was me. I settled on one client-two 18 hr shifts per week. It was actually designated a crisis center or something to that affect. They took only the worst ones.

An idea: The hospital keeps a list of names they give out to patients who need care. I was able to even include a website address with my name. I am not a caregiver, per se. I have caregiver skills for sure. After 6 months, I was very close to pulling my name off the list since most of the calls were for people out of surgery who needed true caregivers. Hands on care. A few weeks ago, I got a call for this job. I am currently at work.

Pay is $25 cash for a straight 48 hr shift. I'm paid to sleep getting about 7 hrs a night. Private bedroom w/bath. Very nice lady who has dementia but otherwise does all self care for herself. I rubbed vaseline on her back once when it was irritated (couldn't find anything else) but that's it so far.

It got old being called for jobs I was not qualified for. Even despite including the website address as I think they get in such a hurry they don't bother to look at it. Unlike this situation where she was not a patient in the hospital ready to be released so time was of the essence. My client is a wonderful 85 year old lady with a great attitude. She went off cussing once but that was when I was joking with her daughter in the car and she was not in the loop. She must be a part of everything or can get mad. It's difficult to even come on shift just having 5 min to talk to her caregiver without her constantly expecting to be with us and interrupting. I think there's a jealousy thing going on

This is a very affluent area. In this subdivision of about 6500 properties, the homes sell for an average of over 1 million dollars. One million two hundred dollars. I do very little housework since she has a housekeeper. That can be good and bad, I would like a little more of a break to be doing something else but oh well. Very little cooking since we keep going out to eat with her and he daughter to these fancy restaurants. Her daughter and I get along really well. I've only prepared breakfast and lunch so far.

I already had a job so wasn't overly enthusiastic when they phoned. Expecting more of the same having to explain I am not qualified. Yet the family already knew I was a better fit than the typical caregiver from reviewing the website. They had phoned the hospital for a list of names and saw my name contained a website address. Maybe consider putting your name in at a hospital in any affluent towns near you? I drive 1 hr to work. This is the closest town to us we can work anyhow... we live out in the boonies. It's not RN pay, however, you could get an easy client where you are paid to sleep with a long 48 hr shift. I first quoted them $30 per hr then reduced it to $25 after meeting them. This would clearly be an easy job without any negative interference from family so $30 was too expensive

Last edited by Pip-Squeak; 08-31-2023 at 10:33 AM..

Old 08-31-2023, 10:23 AM

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I am pretty clear that I am not looking for work at present.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:34 AM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Yeah, maybe teach what you know or write a book (anything that can be done on your own terms in your own time)...

Old 08-31-2023, 10:40 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Quote:
I've been having a lot of work nightmares. I clearly do not wish to be working.
I'll trade you your work nightmares for my work nightmares.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:46 AM

^^^
I thought of you when I had the nightmares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement